Σεισμός!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

Σεισμός!

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Wow. Felt that. 5.9 on the Richter Scale, and not even that close to where I live. The old ladies of the alley all came sprinting outdoors.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... ,116.19141

This map seems to suggest it was right on the coast rather than out to sea as is usually the case.

https://earthquaketrack.com/r/crete-greece/recent

Tim

Mixos

Re: Σεισμός!

Postby Mixos » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:28 am

Yes, quite a lively one wasn't it? I trust it didn't spill your beer, Tim. :wink:

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:17 am

I'm a few km east of Rethymnon and a good friend felt her house being rattled - I was outside at the time and didn't feel anything but local cockerels were talking about it!

margarita

Postby margarita » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:03 am

We felt it slightly in Kalyves.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 am

I think some people must be more sensitive to earthquakes than others? A friend was having a consultation with a doctor in Chania when it happened last night. Both she and the doctor felt it. It must have been reasonably strong since the doctor went out to the waiting room to check that his other patients were OK. Her husband, who was in the consultation with her, didn't feel anything at all and I didn't feel anything about 20 km south west of Chania. First thing I knew about it was when I read Tim's post.

Several years ago I was doing something in the kitchen and my late wife was watching the news on the television. She shouted through that there had been an earthquake. I assumed she was watching a news item about it so shouted back, "Where?". I received a very curt reply of, "Here! Now!" It wasn't on the news, she had just felt it. Sure enough when I went through to the living room the pendant lights hanging from the ceiling were still swinging about. I find pendant lights with heavy shades and a tall standard lamp with a slightly uneven base make quite good seismographs but even they didn't register the one last night.

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:16 pm

I think some people must be more sensitive to earthquakes than others?

I expect there's some truth in that.

Do you remember the (powerful) earthquake January 8 2006 and then another powerful one on January 6 2008 - apart from the "odd" date inversion, the first was a horror and the earth felt like jelly (but no cupboards rattling, light fittings swinging etc), the later one was all about madly shaking walls etc.

In advance, animals tend to sense a vibrational change e.g. dogs all over start barking, cockerals crow, chickens and goats can become stock still. Because of where and how I live, I witness that all the time.

Huge flocks of crows gathered and apparently disappeared a couple of days ago - maybe earthquake connected but perhaps also related to the tail end of a thyphoon from somewhere that apparently the county of Rethymnon is expectingto experience later today?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Technically classed as a Medicane rather than a Typhoon, although they are the same type of meteorological phenomenon.. Typhoon relates to tropical cyclones in the north west Pacific. It has mostly affected the Ionian Islands, the Peloponnese and central Greece, see for example this article. The picture at the top of this article shows it developing over the Ionian Sea a couple of days ago and the video lower down shows its progress now. Unfortunately the earlier part of its track, between the picture and now, is missing from the video. Western Crete is mostly getting the edge of it.

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Genuinely, thank you for the correct terms etc. I say "genuinely" because I get the small idea that because you tend to know informative/scientific terminology about whatever, you sometimes get silly stick directed your way.

Regardless of that - do you remember those 2 January earthquakes - for me they were life changing. The first one saw ALL my (many) cats trying to exit the flap at the same time - one very obese genetically incpacitated member of a rescue litter "quickly" wadled off with the frame of the flap around her body. I say "quickly" because it was all happening in very slow motion (for me)!

YEAH it's just started raining here.

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Yippee, rain, and a bit of thunder and lightning.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:34 pm

I lose track of time, but I think it was June 2015 when we were having lunch with friends in their apartment in Rethymno. We were all sitting on the balcony ( on the third floor), when we felt the building sway. We have endured numerous quakes in Greece over the years, but we have never been on the third floor if an apartment block when one happened! The two young children made a dash to get under the table. - Training from school!

The higher up you are, the more noticeable they seem to be to me. A swaying building is an odd sensation!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 pm

The only big one I have experienced in Crete was in 2013, see this thread. I wasn't in Crete in 2006 and I don't remember anything significant in 2008. I was on about the twentieth floor of a hotel in Japan when a big aftershock struck following an even bigger one earlier in the day. I am told the building was really swaying from side to side but it was night so I slept through it.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:26 pm

TweetTweet wrote:I think some people must be more sensitive to earthquakes than others?

I expect there's some truth in that.

Do you remember the (powerful) earthquake January 8 2006 and then another powerful one on January 6 2008 - apart from the "odd" date inversion, the first was a horror and the earth felt like jelly (but no cupboards rattling, light fittings swinging etc), the later one was all about madly shaking walls etc.

In advance, animals tend to sense a vibrational change e.g. dogs all over start barking, cockerals crow, chickens and goats can become stock still. Because of where and how I live, I witness that all the time.

Huge flocks of crows gathered and apparently disappeared a couple of days ago - maybe earthquake connected but perhaps also related to the tail end of a thyphoon from somewhere that apparently the county of Rethymnon is expectingto experience later today?

Yes I have only felt two or three earth tremors since I have lived in Crete ..The one I felt here in the village a few years ago was almost like I felt it ripple through the village coming from I think the south east and moving towards the north west ...and all the dogs in the village were all barking like mad for about five or ten mins as though they could feel it coming, and then stopped as it passed by ....The other one I felt when I was in a china and glassware shop in Sitia ...that was very very jangly ....

Return to “General Discussion & News”