Residency

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
shine on
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Residency

Postby shine on » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:34 am

“ The cheap (02 plate £700) Mini I bought has performed superbly and I’m thinking may be worth importing?”

Your trip all looking good. Once the boring Ancona ferry trek out of the way it’s Greece and Crete all the way.
Keep the car for up to 6 months, no longer, sell scrap or whatever but buy a Greek car because of reasons previously discussed. As it’s in good condition, you may get a good deal trading.

Maud
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 pm
Location: S.W. England/ S.W. Crete.

Re: Residency

Postby Maud » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks for the update. You have done really well get so much distance covered in a short time and with bad weather! How have you managed for accommodation? Have you just slept in the car? I assume you have a cabin for your Minoan part of the journey? Keep safe and relax on the ferry crossing. - You deserve it.

Kilkis
Posts: 12190
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Residency

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 am

tomcourtney wrote:...A leisurely drive and lunch on today will set us up for our first ‘authentic’ Greek meal on the Minoan ferry. ...


Make sure to use the service restaurant not the self service. Same food but a much pleasanter experience for only about €2 more typically. Same on the one from Piraeus to Crete.

Warwick

tomcourtney
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Re: Residency

Postby tomcourtney » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:59 am

We slept in the car :) money saved on accommodation will be better spent attending to our jungle garden.
Oldest 65yo teenager in town me.
Ditto
They wanted an extra €400 for an inside cabin :(
Airplane seats booked, we’ve got the rest of our lives to recover on our patio :)

Tim
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:41 pm
Location: Near Sitia
Contact:

Re: Residency

Postby Tim » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Tom, I'd be interested to know how you get on in your quest for a Residency Permit. Who would have thought that the insignificant beige card which, aside from buying a car or swapping a driving licence, you never ever get asked for, would become the Holy Grail of the ex-pat?

Tim

Maud
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 pm
Location: S.W. England/ S.W. Crete.

Re: Residency

Postby Maud » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm

I think the cabins are expensive, especially as the tannoy system keeps you awake anyway! We are fortunate that we can sleep in our vehicle with ANEK on the Italy/Greece leg of our journey. We quite enjoy that part of the trip, although I always find the overnight Piraeus to Kriti sailing tough.

Have a good crossing tonight.

Frank in Crete
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: Selia - Rethymnon

Re: Residency

Postby Frank in Crete » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:28 pm

I think the area you are in makes a big difference on getting a residency card, here in the middle south of Crete I have helped 3 separate people/families get one in our area, and from nothing to getting a residency card we have done it in a week, excluding about a week processing time at the police station, but anyone can pick the card up when its been issued, including getting a tax number and bank account, also here the local police station only require 2500 euros but must be in a Greek bank account.

Kilkis
Posts: 12190
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Residency

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:43 pm

In case anybody misunderstands Frank's post, he is not saying that you have to pay a fee of €2,500! In order to get the Residency Certificate you have to prove you have enough money to support yourself and he is saying you must have a Greek bank account with €2,500 deposited in it to do that. The Residency Certificate is free, apart from buying the photos.

Warwick

Keltz
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:53 am

Re: Residency

Postby Keltz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Is that a new thing having 2,500 euro in Greek bank account? A few years ago I simply gave documents from UK pension provider to prove my income status.

Kilkis
Posts: 12190
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Residency

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:37 pm

No, not new. You need to prove that you can support yourself; that is a condition in the Directive. There are several different ways that you can do that:

Having money in a Greek bank account is one of them. A friend of mine used that method. If you do use that method they expect to see around €2,500, although I am not sure that it is an absolutely fixed amount. I think the Directive instructs governments not to demand unreasonably large amounts.

Showing a Greek tax clearance statement with a reasonable declared income would be another. That is the method I used. Since I was technically still working for a Greek company at the time they also asked for a statement of gross income and tax and insurance deducted from the company for the previous year, i.e. the Greek equivalent of a P60, presumably to verify that it agreed with the tax statement. Since I was working for a company in northern Greece but applying for a Residency Certificate on Crete they also asked for a statement from the owner of the company confirming that I was still working for them.

When I first applied for the old Residence Permit back in 2005 I had to get a statement from OAED proving that my employment by the company was registered with them, in duplicate.

As you say documents from a pension provider could well be another method. I think some people have used UK P60s. There are probably other methods that would be accepted.

Warwick

shine on
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Residency

Postby shine on » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:02 pm

I had to show that I had a minimum of €4000 in a Greek bank account, have private health care and was charged an outrageous €1.

Kilkis
Posts: 12190
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Residency

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:11 pm

Police stations tend to make up their own rules so being asked for a different amount in your account is not surprising.

You had to show that you had "health care" because that is also a requirement of the Directive. It does not have to be "private".

No idea what the fee was for. I have never known anyone be charged. Perhaps the officer was €1 short for his morning frappé and tyropita?

Warwick

peebee
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: Residency

Postby peebee » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:45 am

shine on wrote:I had to show that I had a minimum of €4000 in a Greek bank account, have private health care and was charged an outrageous €1.

You were ripped off, we paid €1 for the two of us.

shine on
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Residency

Postby shine on » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:38 am

peebee wrote:
shine on wrote:I had to show that I had a minimum of €4000 in a Greek bank account, have private health care and was charged an outrageous €1.

You were ripped off, we paid €1 for the two of us.


Maybe because they saw that was my daily interest, was the reason for the whopping charge, but no worries, I shall return Monday morning to demand the 50c back.

mrsbluenose
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Neo Chorio

Re: Residency

Postby mrsbluenose » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:55 am

Kilkis wrote:Police stations tend to make up their own rules so being asked for a different amount in your account is not surprising.

You had to show that you had "health care" because that is also a requirement of the Directive. It does not have to be "private".

No idea what the fee was for. I have never known anyone be charged. Perhaps the officer was €1 short for his morning frappé and tyropita?

Warwick



When I applied in Vrysses I had no Greek bank account or health cover. However it was no problem as they were happy with UK bank statements showing pension income and savings.

I paid something like 60c for the stamp.

Stu


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests