Islands removed from list - but not Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
DJ

Islands removed from list - but not Crete

Postby DJ » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:25 pm

Today's announcement: "Travellers returning from the Greek islands of Lesbos, Tinos, Serifos, Santorini and Zakynthos will no longer need to self-isolate."

So, presumably that means Crete has worse Covid stats than these islands ? Anyone able to confirm ?

Kilkis

Re: Islands removed from list - but not Crete

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Chania, Rethymnon and Lasithi are all now in the category of 0 to 4 cases per 100,000 population in a 10 day period. Unfortunately Heraklion is still in the 10 to 49 category. As far as I can see the islands mentioned are also in the 10 to 49 category. Perhaps the UK is still using the 20 per 100,000 criterion? It is possible that Heraklion is above the 20 level and the other islands are below but I find it difficult to get the detailed accurate figures needed to make that judgement. It is certainly true that the UK is worried about people travelling to different airports to avoid quarantine rules so if any part of Crete is above whatever their threshold is it will stay in the quarantine category. Of course you can live in a part of the UK with 500 cases per 100,000 and drive anywhere else in the UK that you fancy.

Warwick

DJ

Postby DJ » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks for your view, Warwick. To me, it seems inexplicable and certainly unfair.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:54 am

DJ wrote:Thanks for your view, Warwick. To me, it seems inexplicable and certainly unfair.

That's the problem DJ. Life just ain't fair and never has been. Nor will it be in future is my guess. Just got to get on with it. :) Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:08 am

I think there's more politics than science behind this move to keep Crete on the red list. Half term is coming up in the UK and Crete would be a popular destination for a last-bit-of-summer break. From Greece's point of view, do they really want plane loads of tourists arriving from a country where covid infection is sharply rising again? And from the UK's point of view, do they want plane loads of British tourists returning and many of them failing to observe the two-week quarantine? By keeping Crete on the red list, far fewer people are likely to travel over the half term, so that suits both governments. I am pretty sure that in two or three weeks' time, when half term is out of the way, the UK will lift the quarantine restriction on Crete. But by then, of course, the Greeks might demand a covid test for any Brits flying IN !

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:49 am

Looking at the prices for half term week I don't think they have many takers at the moment. A neighbour is due to fly back to Dublin in early November and he has been watching the current price for the flight he is booked on. It is falling day by day so he is expecting the flight to be cancelled at any time.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”