Urgent PLF query

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Voni

Urgent PLF query

Postby Voni » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 am

Has anyone recently flown from the uk to Chania via Ryanair? I am being told that despite the Greek website saying you only need ONE passenger location form per family (we are two people travelling same name and address) Ryanair at EM are asking for one form completed for each passenger.

Anyone travelled recently had any experience of this?

chrissyg

Re: Urgent PLF query

Postby chrissyg » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm

We travelled from Bristol to Chania in September with Ryanair and we followed the greek instructions on the form which explicitly say ONE form per household and we were fine ( 2 of us). I know we have heard a few horror stories but the form has been rephrased and is now quite clear.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:09 pm

PS. The forms back to the UK are much more complicated and you need one EACH for that.

toastie

Postby toastie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:04 pm

chrissyg wrote:PS. The forms back to the UK are much more complicated and you need one EACH for that.

no surprise there then. most things in uk are complicated lol

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am

The lates gov.uk advice makes it clear that Greece only requires one form for a household when arriving in Greece. It does to on though to say that some airlines are requiring one form per person with advice to check with the airline. Chaotic! :) Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:29 pm

Yes, but 'check with the airline' is easier said than done! Prepare for a very long wait on the phone.
All i can say is we were fine with Ryanair at Bristol.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:44 pm

I wouldn't be too hard on the airlines if they get it wrong. They fly people to many different destinations and whether a single form per family or individual forms are required varies from destination to destination.

At least in the case of adults, would each having an individual form cause a problem flying into Greece? Walk up to the check in desk in the UK individually with your boarding pass, passport and PLF. In Greece walk through immigration individually with your passport and PLF. I know some couples who often fly on the same plane but they don't necessarily check in together and they don't sit together on the plane.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Voni, you definitely need a PLF form for each passenger when returning to the UK. I think it is a government requirement rather than being at the discretion of any particular airline. And immigration staff at Gatwick are out in force in the baggage reclaim area, checking that you have the QR codes on your phone, or a paper copy, before you can collect you baggage and leave the arrivals area. Nobody at Heraklion checked that we had completed a PLF before departure, which might help explain why there were quite a few passengers at Gatwick being made to fill out a form in the baggage area. As chrissyg says, the UK form requires quite a lot of detail, so it's far better to do it online just before departure and download the QR code to your phone.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 pm

The first time we flew the form was a bit ambiguous and so we did one each, but now the form instructs you right at the beginning to only fill in one form per household. Although its not a huge hassle to do 2 or more forms you kind of want to do the right thing and do what the greeks tell you to do.
As far as the airlines are concerned its not much for them to just check what the individual country requires when you are checking in and that is exactly what the ryanair woman did when she checked our plf form.

Drapanias David

Postby Drapanias David » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:53 pm

Flying out of Manchester with Ryanair in early September we only required ONE Passenger Locator Form. As we had checked in online PLF was checked initially at Security who only needed to see that 2 people were declared as named on the boarding passes and passports. At the gate we had our PLF checked and again they were satisfied that both of us were covered by ONE PLF.

I cannot speak for East Midlands but would expect that all Ryanair flights are treated the same. The Ryanair website links to the Greek government website for PLFs with no comment from RA that they need 2 forms. I would double check with your source in case they were referring to the return flights to the UK.

We returned to the UK two weeks later. As has been stated earlier, on return to the UK EACH person must have a PLF completed. This can be done online whilst in Crete but can only be completed within 48 hours of your UK ARRIVAL time.

Have as much information to hand when attempting to complete either of the PLFs.

Hope all goes well.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:05 pm

chrissyg wrote:The first time we flew the form was a bit ambiguous and so we did one each, but now the form instructs you right at the beginning to only fill in one form per household...

I think I saw a Greek travel web page somewhere, not a government one, that said the rules actually changed in Greece at some point or perhaps they were just clarified? Possibly some time in August?

I've not done it myself but according to this web page, which describes the whole process, the "instruction" to use one form per household that Chrissyg mentions is a check box that you tick "confirming" that you will only fill in one form per household, a bit like confirming that you have read the terms and conditions when you make a booking. You could save a screen shot of the relevant bit on your phone and show it to the airline personnel if there is a problem.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Yes, it tells you at the beginning about it and then you tick the box to confirm it if i remember, and we printed everything out, all prepared for a fight in case there was a problem but there wasn't.

Voni

Postby Voni » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:51 am

Update...

Thanks for all your kind replies, I was panicking a bit as I had been told of several passengers being refused boarding due to issues with the Greek form.

To save any further worry I dropped in at EM airport and had a chat to the girl on the Ryanair desk....the airport was empty by the way...

She told me that one PLF form for Greece was acceptable but if there were additional passengers travelling together they must be added to the PLF and their name(s) needed to show at the bottom of the document. She said that some passengers were doing individual forms and these were also acceptable to the airline.

She said that there was a problem when people had only downloaded the QR code to their phone as this didn’t show the names of the persons to whom the code referred. She said Ryanair would refuse boarding if the form wasn’t correct.

The forms/QR Code pinged in at quarter last ten the night before our flight...phew.

At the airport uk side they checked the names as I had been told. In Greece the same. Having the form printed seemed quicker processing than those using their phones.

Thanks again for all your help...glad to be back.

Return to “General Discussion & News”