changing electricity supplier

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
grannyM

changing electricity supplier

Postby grannyM » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 am

We have been with DEI for years but have recently been approached by HRON and Elleniki Petpeliea with inducements to move to them.I'm sure there are others.
Has anyone experience of the benefits and disadvantages of so doing, and advice to give?

moved 2 crete

Re: changing electricity supplier

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 am

We changed to Protergia a few years ago it was cheaper and still is. :D
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 am

I've no experience of switching but three things worth noting:

1 The discounts only apply to the charge for the electricity consumed and, in some cases, the fixed charge. They do not apply to all the other electricity charges. For example, if you look at the second page of this sample bill the discount normally only applies to the €133.71 at the top of the bill not any of the other charges further down.
    2 If you pay ΔΕΗ on time every time you get a 15 % discount on the same electricity charges anyway, i.e. on the €133.71.
    3 If, like me, you have cheap rate electricity at night the rate for that is often the same with the discount service as it is with ΔΕΗ so the discount only applies to the electricity consumed during the day. This may vary from discounter to discounter but it is important to check if you have a dual meter

Take those factors into account when assessing how much the new deals will save you not just the headline discount quoted.

Warwick

THASSIAN

Postby THASSIAN » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:06 pm

The ΔEH discount is now 5% not 15% for the record.

toastie

Postby toastie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:06 pm

my supplier is Elpedison. very good service. great online account management and help system. very quick transfer from DEI and better programs.

https://www.elpedison.gr/en/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks for that, Thassion, I hadn't noticed that it had been reduced. Checking back it looks like they did it in stages. First a reduction from 15 % to 10 % and then a reduction from 10 % to 5 %. Cunning bar stewards. It looks like I need to dig out my spread sheet and re-evaluate the alternative offers.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:21 am

I changed to KEN a couple of years ago. The Estimated Bill arrives every month with a correction bill every 4 months.
They have a very good easy to use web site. I post my monthly reading on the website on the day advised, I have estimated bills. I also settle my account via the website.
I receive a discount for not having any Paper bills and also for paying by the final expected settlement date.

Other charges, village tax etc are the same as would be via DEH.

I have not had any problem with KEN. Even received a better meter. Much easier to read.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

grannyM

Postby grannyM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply. Do you know if all alternative suppliers are available in all areas? A clear online system would really help, although we'd also prefer to continue with a direct debit system. Do DEI refund your original deposit promptly too?

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:37 am

KEN is available throughout the Island. Their Crete Office is in Heraklion. They have a good website
https://www.k-en.gr
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:19 am

KEN also have a contact point in Chania, ΟΔΥΣΣΕΑΚΗΣ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟΣ & ΣΙΑ ΕΕ at Apokoronou 44. I guess not a main office but somewhere you can talk to a person? It's almost directly opposite the Vodafone shop. There is a big KEN sign outside.

Warwick

grannyM

Postby grannyM » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:16 pm

We are in Moires area so Heraklion may be nearest KEN office. I do notice quite a few of their bills in the Kafenion, so perhaps the locals have found them a good bet. Again many thanks!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:50 pm

There is also an office in Moires: 25ης Μαρτίου 145, Μοίρες, No 145 25th March Street.

Warwick

grannyM

Postby grannyM » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 am

Yes, thanks, so they do! Our Greek neighbours reckon they are all much of a muchness, but worth checking it out. We'll dig out old bills, check current rates for both and hopefully come to a conclusion.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:59 pm

I think ΔΕΗ are applying special reduced rates at the moment because of COVID-19 so be careful which figures you compare. They will return to the original rates at some point.

I submitted a declaration back in March that the area of my house used on the electricity bill to calculate various council taxes was not correct and I supplied the correct figure. So far the figure has not been updated on my bill so I am waiting until that is correct before considering changes. If anybody else has made such a declaration they might consider if they want to delay until ΔΕΗ has got the correct figure before changing to a new supplier. I presume the new supplier will get all the relevant information from ΔΕΗ and I would prefer if they got the correct information.

Warwick

Bagshot

Postby Bagshot » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Warwick, in what form did you make the declaration about changed house area? Was it email, online or written? I would be intersted to know since I need to change my own figure!

Return to “General Discussion & News”