COVID-19 Vaccination

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

COVID-19 Vaccination

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:50 am

Keep Talking Greece has reported on the government's outline plan for vaccinating the population once the vaccines become available. An interesting statement in the article:

They did not say anything about the thousands of foreign nationals permanently living in Greece.

Since the plan involves identifying people by their AMKA number it is not clear if that statement refers to all foreign nationals or only those who don't have an AMKA number?

Warwick

john4d

Re: COVID-19 Vaccination

Postby john4d » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:52 pm

My understanding is that the 27 EU countries will recieve their vaccines from the EU. The EU will purchase these and share them out to the 27 countries as it deems fit. They will also determine who will be elgible to receive a vaccination. I have not yet seen any indication of how many vaccines the EU have pre-ordered and from which companies. The UK have pre-ordered c 360 million vaccines from 4 companies.
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 am

At the top level what you say is more or less correct, John but the problems occur when you dig below that level.

I say "more or less" because I don't think "deems fit" is quite the correct description. I think it is pretty much in proportion to population size possibly modified by demographics. For example, if the decision is to give it to old people and one country has a bigger proportion of old people they might get slightly more doses than their relative population size would suggest.

I think which groups the vaccine is given to depends on what the results of the clinical trials reveal. For example, with the vaccines that have reported so far, they appear to prevent people developing advanced symptoms, they appear to work well with the older population who are most vulnerable but it is not certain how well they prevent the disease being passed on. If those conclusions are upheld then it is best to give them to the most vulnerable groups and that is the preliminary recommendation in the UK. If, however, it turns out that they are very good at preventing the spread of the disease then it might be better to switch the priority to the working age population so they can go out to work unhindered. It is also possible that one vaccine might be better for the older group and another vaccine better for the working age population. Different vaccines work on different principles so it is quite possible that they might work better with different groups. I think the ones that have presented preliminary results so far all work using mRNA and simulate the virus spike protein so they are likely to work in very similar ways.

Apart from specifying which groups should be given preference I don't think the EU will get into details, that will be down to the individual national governments to decide based on how their particular healthcare systems work. I cannot imagine the EU deciding that Fred Smith at 23 Railway Cuttings Heraklion should get it and his neighbour Bert Jones shouldn't. That is where uncertainty lies. How will the Greek government decide and what process will they use?

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:44 am

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Do you see any misinformation in this thread, Kamisiana? If so please point it out. When and how foreign nationals resident in Greece will receive vaccination is of interest to all foreign nationals resident in Greece.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Kilkis wrote:Do you see any misinformation in this thread, Kamisiana? If so please point it out. When and how foreign nationals resident in Greece will receive vaccination is of interest to all foreign nationals resident in Greece.

Warwick

No misinformation just speculation and scaremongering Kilkis

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Can you be specific? Which statement is speculation and which is scaremongering?

Warwick

shine on

Postby shine on » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Glad it’s not compulsory, I’m all for vaccinations if they have been properly tested, but my concern is the short testing time, especially when a Lab in the UK said a few months ago that correct testing for any vaccine is 18 months before distributed to humans safely. I’m on the fence here. Your thoughts.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 pm

I don't think it will be compulsory in either the UK or Greece, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were restrictions placed on people who don't have an up to date vaccination certificate (or a certificate of negative testing, maybe), for instance getting on a plane, entering/leaving the country, accessing health care. Just a thought ....

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:29 am

Apart from school children, vaccination in general in Greece is not compulsory. Children need an up to date vaccination certificate to enrol in school but I doubt if that will include COVID. The UK doesn't even insist on vaccination at all to attend school.

All vaccinations tend to have minor side effects but the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. About seven weeks ago I had a pneumonia vaccination, which I had never had before. For two or three days my arm felt like a very mild version of the dead leg we used to give each other when I was at school. Four weeks later I had an influenza vaccination, also which I had never had before. This time I got slight surface soreness and accompanying redness around the vaccination site for a few days. I was warned I might get a mild fever but that didn't happen either time. It is quite possible to catch flu or pneumonia at the same time as COVID and for somebody my age with my co-morbidities that would be an almost certain death sentence. I will certainly take the COVID vaccine if I am offered it. Many thousands of people have been given the vaccine with no serious adverse reaction so I am prepared to take the risk.

Clean water and vaccinations have done more to improve health and life expectancy worldwide than anything else mankind has achieved. Don't believe the myths. The myths spread about MMR are reducing the uptake in MMR vaccination. That in turn is leading to a loss of herd immunity and quite big localised outbreaks of measles. The UK has lost its measles free status. Babies and young children are dying and suffering serious non-fatal consequences. The people spreading these myths are murderers.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:19 am

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... e_btn_link

This is in The Guardian today. They mistakenly gave a half dose first, then boosted with a full dose later and found 90% rate rather than 70% first noted. I realise this is the UK and we might get Pfizer, not Oxford.

Btw, did you all read that Dolly Parton gave 1million dollars to help fund research?
Cue the song, altogether now - vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vacciiiine... :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:48 pm

"Please don't take my jab away".

It is also interesting that the typical side effects were much less in the group that received the half dose first. Less side effects - higher efficacy, what's not to like? While quite a lot is known about how the immune system works there is also a lot that is not known. It is not surprising, therefore, that unexpected results are observed nor that some of them prove beneficial.

To be realistic the exact efficacy will only be known when the vaccines are used more widely. The large numbers injected with no significant side effects gives very good confidence in the safety. The number of those injected either with the virus or a placebo who go on to catch COVID-19 is much smaller and the efficacy is judged by the ratio of the number in each group. These numbers are big enough to know that the efficacy really is high but more exact efficacy rates will only become known when millions are vaccinated.

Warwick

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Australia’s Qantas airline announces.... No flight without a covid vaccine, in first sign of what could become common across the industry.

https://mol.im/a/8980123

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:32 pm

The UK [government](https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/government) has granted pharmaceutical giant [Pfizer](https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/pfizer) a legal indemnity protecting it from being sued, enabling its coronavirus [vaccine](https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/vaccine) to be rolled out across the country as early as next week.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 65124.html

I just wonder if Qantas will consider this vaccine legitimate. I will be telling my grown up children not to take it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Why on Earth are you telling your "grown up" children to do or not do anything? The clue is in the name - "grown up". I never tell my "grown up" son to do or not do anything at all - he can make his own decisions. How do you know your decisions are the right ones?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”