Olive oil briquettes

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
annabanana

Olive oil briquettes

Postby annabanana » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi everyone,
Merry Christmas to all and Happy New year.
Just wondering can we get the briquettes in Crete in sitia area,we would like to try them instead of wood.
Thanks
Anna

mouche

Re: Olive oil briquettes

Postby mouche » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Briguettes from oil? Or olive wood maybe?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:08 pm

I could be wrong but I think she means briquettes made from olive waste after the oil has been pressed out. I know that there are central heating boilers that run off this but they use a form of the waste in pellet form that is fed in through a hopper. I have been to a Tsikoudia still near Chania that uses a combination of heating oil and olive waste pellets to distil the fermented grape residue. I also know that there are barbecue briquettes made from the same source. I wasn't aware that they were available for wood burning stoves.

Warwick

annabanana

Postby annabanana » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:17 am

Sorry ,yes they are made of olive waste.
Anna

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:03 am

Kilkis wrote:I could be wrong but I think she means briquettes made from olive waste after the oil has been pressed out.
Warwick

Piscines, Andreas, sold bags of olive pits (lumps or briquettes) a few years ago, and asked me to try it on the barbecue. Worked ok, but olive wood is much better. Don¨t know if they still sell it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks for posting the information, Mouche. Personally I don't intend to use it but it could be useful to somebody. I agree with you that wood is probably better. Unfortunately Annabanana is at the other end of the island so she needs someone down that end to reply.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:33 am

Try the Olive Oil Mill in Pirgos Kalo Chorio, Lasithi. I have seen their mountain of waste, they must do something with it as within a short period at the end of production the waste mountain disappears. Why not try one of the Mills in Sitia.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:34 pm

@annabanana - suggest you talk to Manos Rodanakis at the agricultural shop next to the traffic lights. I doubt if he sells them, but he may well know who does, and his English is very good.

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:38 am

Kilkis wrote: Unfortunately Annabanana is at the other end of the island so she needs someone down that end to reply.
Warwick

Well, believe it, or not, but you are not the only one who knows the whereabouts of Sitia.

Return to “General Discussion & News”