Roll out of the vaccine in greece

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Roll out of the vaccine in greece

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Out of curiosity, which UK ISP is providing connections in Greece?

Warwick

mrsbluenose

Postby mrsbluenose » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:Out of curiosity, which UK ISP is providing connections in Greece?

Warwick

This is the VPN issue again no doubt.

Stu

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:14 pm

That's why I asked the question. You can just turn a VPN on and off whenever you want. A VPN isn't a problem.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:26 am

Jean wrote:...That's strange. I am in this group (just turned 65) and received my appointment (for April 11th and May 8th) by SMS on the 19th of March

Do you fit any of the higher risk categories, Jean? They are outlined on a pop-up "Important Announcement" panel when you connect to https://emvolio.gov.gr/ There is also a link to more details. Appointments for people in that group were released on 19 March, I think, whatever age group they are in. Otherwise I have no idea why you got it early. They didn't release the 70 to 74 age group until 26 March so it would be strange to get one in the 65 to 69 age group before them.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:11 am

Do you fit any of the higher risk categories, Jean? They are outlined on a pop-up "Important Announcement" panel when you connect to https://emvolio.gov.gr/ There is also a link to more details.

Not that I'm aware of. I do have a regular prescription for a *mab drug but none that are listed as a reason to be included in the higher risk category. That's got to be the reason even if not specifically listed.

Dinksy

Postby Dinksy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:25 pm

The connections are nothing to do with a VPN. We use Tooway that provides us with a UK ISP so we do not need a VPN. Have used this for many years and we get unlimited download as well.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:34 pm

So why not use a VPN the other way round, i.e. so the VPN connects to a Greek server and Emvolio then thinks you are in Greece? With most VPN's you can pretend that you are anywhere.

Warwick

Dinksy

Postby Dinksy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm

No advantage using a VPN only added costs.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

daveB

Postby daveB » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 pm

Confirm that the 65-69 group opened today. My favourite pharmacists, in Armenoi, phoned me this morning to tell me when and where my 2 vaccination dates were. Shocked but happy as I was dreading navigating the system given some of the stories. They had taken my Name phone number and AMKA number a few weeks ago but I only expected a call to say the system was open :)
I'm getting Pfizer so don't know if Astra Zeneca is being used as well.

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:23 pm

In Sitia both Pfizer and AstraZeneca are used now. My husband got his first shot with Astrazeneca today.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:07 pm

A friend of mine who is in the 65 to 69 age group got notification of his appointments today. Judging by the distance between the appointments I am pretty sure that he is getting the AstraZeneca vaccine. His wife, who came in the 60 to 64 age group, already received the AstraZeneca and other friends, who are in the 70 to 74 age group, are also probably due to get the AstraZeneca vaccine, again judging by their appointment spacing. All in the Chania area.

Generally Greece has stressed that it is following EMA advice. Initially it restricted AstraZeneca to under 65, even though the EMA approved it for all ages over 18. There was no concern about safety in the older age group but there was a small concern about efficacy. Efficacy in a trial is judged by how many people who were vaccinated caught COVID compared to how many who weren't vaccinated. If 100 people caught COVID, of which 98 had not been vaccinated and 2 had, then the efficacy is 98 %. In the trial too few people over 65 caught COVID at all to make such a judgement with a high degree of certainty. There was indirect evidence in that people over 65 had antibody tests done, which showed that they had developed a high level of antibodies, so the EMA approved it for over 65s on that basis but Greece decided to be a little cautious. Once a vaccine is approved and being administered the collection of data continues with a much bigger sample size than in the trial. That showed, with direct evidence, that the efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine was high and so Greece abandoned its cautious approach and started administering it to older people. The Greek decision did not delay the vaccination programme at all but moved some younger people slightly ahead in the queue.

It is worth stressing that all the vaccines seem to have around 100 % efficacy in preventing advanced symptoms, hospitalisation and death. It is often not clear if the few vaccinated people who still catch COVID do so either in the period before full antibody levels have developed or possibly because of a variant that is resistant to the vaccine.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:37 am

A quick question to them that know ....I'm going for my first shot of Pfizer tomorrow ... I read a thing the other day about people who test positive without seeming to having any symptoms of the virus... so do they give you a covid test before the vaccine ?

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 am

Andrew had the Pfizer vaccination about ten days ago and he was not tested for the Virus beforehand.
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:52 am

Oh thanks for that ,I wonder if your reaction to the vaccine is an indication ?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:30 pm

They did ask me if I was/recently had been suffering from fever or any other illness at all as part of the screening. People who have had COVID are recommended to still get vaccinated, e.g. Johnson received his. I would guess that they don't want to administer the vaccine if you are currently feeling unwell for any reason.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”