New Variant COVID in Crete?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: New Variant COVID in Crete?

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm

Agreed. Out of curiosity where do you access the daily regional figures, Jean? I've been using Keep Talking Greece but they don't always publish them. Is there an official government web site where you can look back through daily regional data?

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:08 pm

Out of curiosity where do you access the daily regional figures, Jean? I've been using Keep Talking Greece but they don't always publish them.

Good question! Unfortunately I don't think that there is a reference source that you can look up on the web except on the day where the government publishes the figures by prefecture.
Xaniotika Nea has published the Chania and Crete figures daily in the evening so I've made a habit to check them and make a note of them in a calendar since early September.
Here is today's link: https://www.haniotika-nea.gr/10-nea-kro ... -katanomi/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:20 pm

I've been doing similar except I have been getting the figures from Keep Talking Greece. Mostly they have extracted the figures but I am sure they are using the same table Xaniotika Nea are using as they sometimes include the table. I am missing figures for 24 to 27 December inclusive, 31 December, 1 January and 9 January. For some reason they didn't publish figures for those days. Perhaps the government didn't publish? If you have any figures for those days I would be grateful.

I record mine in a spreadsheet rather than on a calendar so I can automatically accumulate for 14 days and scale for population size. I can also plot the data. It is often easier to understand patterns when looking at a chart than at raw data.

Warwick

DJ

Postby DJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:53 am

Warwick - I get my figures on Facebook from Coronavirus News Crete. Firstly they publish the overall Greek figures then they give the numbers for Crete. Usually in the afternoon.

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:14 am

Warwick, I think you might find your missing numbers here:

https://www.atoz-guides.com/coronavirus ... U7JB_F53jM

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 am

Perfect, Margarita. Many thanks.

Warwicik

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:07 am

BST

Postby BST » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:35 pm

Mutant variety in Herakleion along with 19 other potential cases.
https://creta24.gr/irakleio-koronoios-s ... c.facebook

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 am

I wonder which variant it is? I think there are four that are currently giving concern: one that originated in the UK, one that originated in South Africa and two that originated in Brazil. It isn't a coincidence that significant variants are appearing from countries that have allowed the virus to largely flourish unchecked. I'm surprised that some important US variants haven't emerged.

It should be noted that there are hundreds of variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus each with it's own differences in the genome sequence compared to the original sequence published by Chinese scientists. Most are of no real significance. The four mentioned above are significant in that they have variations in the part of the genome sequence that codes for the spike protein that allows the virus to bind to a cell. They are significant because: 1 they seem to have increased transmissibility giving rise to increased infection rates and 2 the shape of the spike protein is slightly different which could result in antibodies produced by vaccination possibly not being able to bond to it and provide protection.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:38 pm

A somewhat more 'official' confirmation that a mutant strain of covid is on the island.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/ ... in-greece/

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:34 pm

I should point out that my comment in my previous post

Kilkis wrote:... 2 the shape of the spike protein is slightly different which could result in antibodies produced by vaccination possibly not being able to bond to it and provide protection...

was general. As the link posted by Mouche demonstrates, initial studies suggest that the particular UK variant, which appears to be the one detected in Greece, will be susceptible at least to antibodies produced by the Pfizer vaccine. It is believed that it will also be susceptible to antibodies produced by the Moderna and AstaZeneca vaccines but there isn't strong evidence yet. It is not known if the same is true of the other variants. The good news is that these new types of mRNA vaccine can be altered very rapidly if a resistant variant emerged. The bad news is that everybody would then need to be vaccinated again. That is not a big problem if it needs to be done every year but if new variants emerge quickly, as they are more likely to do with high levels of infection, then it becomes an arms race. Some vaccines, not yet approved, are being produced by more traditional methods, i.e. using totally/partially deactivated virus. It is possible that they will provoke a wider spectrum of antibodies which might be better at dealing with variants than the mRNA type. On the downside, if a new version is needed, this type of vaccine takes longer to develop and produce than the mRNA ones. Swings and roundabouts with still a lot of unknowns.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”