lockdown ticket

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Ann McCallum

Re: lockdown ticket

Postby Ann McCallum » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:36 pm

i think the real kicker with my son's situation is he was not in a position to infect anyone. he was alone in his car, had a mask, had hand sanitizer, all the requirement, except that day's sms. if you have been to agoii apostolli (sp?) on any of those sunny weekends we had, it was a zoo. people everywhere, no masks, no social distancing, yet no fines. even in town, same sort of thing. i have always said to myself, who is it they are fining anyway? I guess catching someone in the car without an sms is easier than trying to argue with people enjoying themselves. he is also a young man. i would be curious to see the age ranges and reasoning for tickets. i wouldnt be surprised if it were more young people. easier. whole thing has been confusing. trying to keep my eye on the finish line.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:52 pm

I see that with the easing of restrictions on shopping, they're stressing that the metakinisi is only valid for two hours from its receipt. Seemingly you have to have finished your task and be back home before it runs out, or else. That may have always been the rule, but I don't remember ever hearing of it. Earlier in the lockdown my car was booked in for some major surgery. I drove into town using metakinisi code 2. Things didn't go as planned, and I spent nearly five hours out and about. Good thing I didn't get stopped.

Tim

Ann McCallum

Postby Ann McCallum » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:08 pm

i read the 2hr restriction deal too. does that apply only to someone shopping? is supermarket shopping included in that? i dont believe there was a 2hr restriction before. geesh.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:21 pm

As far as I can see the 2 hr restriction was introduced alongside the opening of retail. I am not aware of any time restriction to do supermarket shopping under the present lockdown rules. I must admit the media have not made it clear if the 2 hrs now also applies to supermarkets.

I only do a big supermarket shop about every 5 weeks but that can take me a bit over 2 hours including travel time. In my judgement it is better to go out once in a five week period, even if it is for longer than 2 hours, than to go out many times for less than 2 hours. In between I do local shopping about once per week but that typically takes less than 30 minutes including travel time so I am out of the house for a total of a little over 4 hours every 5 weeks.

Warwick

Ann McCallum

Postby Ann McCallum » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:35 pm

my son won his appeal. he does not have to pay his ticket.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Ann McCallum wrote:my son won his appeal. he does not have to pay his ticket.

Μπράβο!

Tim

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:37 am

Ann McCallum wrote:my son won his appeal. he does not have to pay his ticket.

Good to see that commonsense prevailed! Well done. Bob. :D
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:15 pm

my son won his appeal. he does not have to pay his ticket.

Good for him. Also good to see that appeals can be won on the basis of common sense.

Talking about lack of common sense, have you seen the latest idiotic fine for lockdown regulations breach? https://www.zarpanews.gr/prostimo-parod ... odia-quot/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:42 pm

We are all supposed to be only doing things that are essential and I can see where confusion can arise around the term essential. For example if your exercise is tennis it is essential to go to a tennis court. If your exercise is winter swimming it is essential to go to a beach. If your exercise is walking then it is not essential to go to Omalos, you can walk immediately outside your property. I disagree with this interpretation but I can see how it can arise.

For example when Mitsotakis drove 35 km to a national park he only went there to walk. There is a park directly across the road from Maximos Mansion so he could just as easily have walked there. His travel was judged to be justified. Having his picture taken with a group of motorcyclists without masks and no distancing was judged to be justified. His wife borrowing one of the motorcycles and riding it in the park was judged to be justified even though riding motorcycles in the park is illegal.

I think the big problem is that the fines are issued by the police and, unless I have misunderstood, the appeal has to be made to the police and the police decide whether to uphold the appeal or not. Prosecutor, Judge and Executioner all in the same hands with no written definition of the basis on which the judgement should be made.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:31 pm

If your exercise is walking then it is not essential to go to Omalos,

If your exercise is mountaineering you go to the mountains. And the point was clearly made by a Greek minister in November that you can do this (mountaineering) within your municipality.
Shortly after came the Mitsotakis cycling debacle and another minister (or someone in a similar post) stated that you were not limited to municipalities but to regional units (prefectures). And then some idiot cops decide that THEY will apply THEIR rules because they feel like it.

shine on

Postby shine on » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:22 pm

Jean wrote:
THEY will apply THEIR rules because they feel like it.

As is the case in any situation in Greece.

Return to “General Discussion & News”