Postal addresses

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sinkingslowly

Postal addresses

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 pm

I'm not trying to be morbid but how do people manage in an emergency (police, fire, ambulance etc) when you can't give a postal address?
For normal things we get by and have never needed emergency services.
Just curious.

shine on

Re: Postal addresses

Postby shine on » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:50 pm

If they have absolutely no idea of your premises then you have to give the nearest landmark, something like the school in the village of such and such and if you are able, meet them there. If you are stuck in your home you could either send them your map co-ordinates which is easy using google maps or guide them over the phone, a flare gun comes to mind if all else fails but don’t worry, they’ll get to you some how, they do know their way around more than you think. I live remotely and have many deliveries etc and everyone has eventually found me.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:57 pm

Using a mobile phone and the 112 number would also make location easier - https://www.ekathimerini.com/255547/art ... 0is%20made.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Most people I know have got a friend to phone for an ambulance. The friend has then met the ambulance somewhere they can easily find, village square, town hall, supermarket etc, then guided them to the house. That's what I did when my late wife needed an ambulance and I couldn't leave her alone to guide them myself. I now live alone so that is what I would do if I needed help, assuming I was concious.

Warwick

PS When you are ill enough to need an ambulance I don't like the sound of that word "eventually" Shine On.

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Although we live in a big village our street doesn't have a name. On the one occasion i had to phone for an ambulance I gave directions via a local landmark.

I happened to see the ambulance drive past and ran after it (it wasn't for me!). When I caught up with it the driver had stopped and was asking passers by if they knew where the the 'Αγγλος' lived.

They will find you.

shine on

Postby shine on » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Kilkis wrote:Most people I know have got a friend to phone for an ambulance. The friend has then met the ambulance somewhere they can easily find, village square, town hall, supermarket etc, then guided them to the house. That's what I did when my late wife needed an ambulance and I couldn't leave her alone to guide them myself. I now live alone so that is what I would do if I needed help, assuming I was concious.

Warwick

PS When you are ill enough to need an ambulance I don't like the sound of that word "eventually" Shine On.

Eventually is positive, better than ‘never’, this is Greece after all, helicopters are not used here for regular emergency calls, so the description is spot on imo, some villages are very, very remote and it takes time for the emergency services to reach. EVENTUALLY, and at all costs, they will, meaning it may take a little longer especially if they come from Chania to far out villages. My insurance company said that where possible, drive to the hospital as it will be quicker, chances are not always possible, but it outlines the situation.

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:54 pm

Jean wrote:Using a mobile phone and the 112 number would also make location easier - https://www.ekathimerini.com/255547/art ... 0is%20made.

That's useful to know.
I hadn't seen that.

lDm

Postby lDm » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:00 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote: in an emergency (police, fire, ambulance etc) when you can't give a postal address?

When I had to call 112 recently they asked for coordinates of location, which they then transmit to the regional/main department that delegates the dispatch of needed service.. so you go to google maps, find the exact location on the map, click on it and get coordinate numbers. You dictate those on the phone, slowly, and repeat 1-2 times to make sure they got it right.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 pm

When I had to call 112 recently they asked for coordinates of location

So obviously the implementation of the geolocation on the 112 number is not as it should be

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:34 pm

Pity that "what3words" isn't more widely adopted. Much less chance of mistakes than transcribing two eight digit numbers. Get one of the early digits wrong and you might not even be on the same continent. Also easy to remember your home ones.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:27 am

Though these three words might not be easy to remember or spell if you're not an English speaker

lDm

Postby lDm » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:46 pm

Jean wrote:
When I had to call 112 recently they asked for coordinates of location

So obviously the implementation of the geolocation on the 112 number is not as it should be

Correct, even though they are supposed to track mobile phone location.. I made a point of asking whether they can see where I'm calling from, and they said "no, you will need to describe it"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:39 pm

A couple of thoughts IDm:

1 Are you using an Android phone? The article doesn't say anything about other operating systems such as iPhones.
    2 If you look under "Location" in "Settings" does it show "Emergency Location Service" as "On"

Warwick

lDm

Postby lDm » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:52 pm

Kilkis wrote:A couple of thoughts IDm:

1 Are you using an Android phone? The article doesn't say anything about other operating systems such as iPhones.
    2 If you look under "Location" in "Settings" does it show "Emergency Location Service" as "On"

Warwick

yes to both

Return to “General Discussion & News”