The system isn’t working

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Rick

Re: The system isn’t working

Postby Rick » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:40 am

Kilkis wrote:I repeat that the AMKA problem is caused by the Greek government and the Greek government should put it right

Twitter is saturated with tweets condemning the Greek government for the ‘temporary AMKA’ debacle. Most tweets are copied to the Prime Minister & Minister of Digital Governance, so they will be totally aware of the situation - one would hope!

Julia Cross (British in Greece) has posted that the emvolio.gr platform has recently been updated to accelerate the rollout of temp AMKA numbers.
I guess we’ll see what happens next week. Anyone feeling lucky in the AMKA lottery?

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Well thought they had cracked it because worked for us two numbers received close together and booked appoinments but message from a friend this morning they got their number through but their partner's hasn't arrived and they applied same time ish ( no rhyme or reason for it not to arrive) so it is the inconsistency of the system that is so frustrating for people ...... Well was of course an optomomist with my earlier message looks like you were right Rick it is a lottery !

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:42 pm

Houmeri91 wrote:Well fact was that Guardian article was out of date before it was written as I and the good lady had Temporary AMKA numbers before it was released, which annoyed me when I read it . Made us sound like a bunch of 'whinging poms' as the good people of Australia would say . The only thing holding us up at the time was the Greek parliament passing the legislation to allow us to get access to free jabs and lateral flow tests . That was passed on the Thursday went to KEP on the Monday job done appointment booked for the Mrs who met the criteria age wise and booked myself appointment yesterday with KEP now dropped age criteria again .

Would you mind spelling out the exact steps that you took. I have friends who don't have AMKA numbers. Their first step was to go to KEP and get KEP to register them on the system. KEP did that and some time later they got texts confirming that they were registered with some sort of reference number but not an AMKA number. Was that your first step? If so, did the system then send you your temporary AMKA number automatically, e.g. by text, or did you have to go back to KEP and get them to issue you with a temporary AMKA number and use it to make the appointment? They have previously been back to KEP a couple of times but were just told to wait. Now the legislation has passed, in your experience should they go back to KEP or continue to wait?

Warwick

dixoncb

Postby dixoncb » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:23 am

Well, this morning we managed to get temporary AMKAs from our local KEP, but it wasn't easy. We tried it because the Chania KEP told us that they couldn't issue temporary AMKAs, full stop, and that all we had to do was go to https://emvolio.gov.gr and we would get an appointment for vaccination. It's nearly three weeks since we first registered and we haven't heard a peep (we've registered twice since, after being told the site was 'working now'. Getting the temporary AMKAs required firmness and persistence, and, unfortunately, raised voices. We were told again to go to the site, and that nothing could be done, but after producing the documentation containing Article 248 (https://collab.lawspot.gr/sites/default ... 6-2021.pdf p4965) the person decided to issue the AMKAs after all and the deadlock was broken. One of our names was spelled wrongly, and we were told it couldn't be corrected, and we were told the other thing we were there for - the witnessing of a signature - couldn't be carried out, insisting that we needed a biometric identity card, and not the cream one. But the person seemed upset, so we decided to take our victory, if that's what it turns out to be, and leave while the going was good.

They did tell us before we left that we would have to wait several weeks for an appointment. Now we're trying the emvolio site again, this time with our new AMKAs, to see what happens, but we're getting a constant 403 error. This error is usually associated with an authentication failure, but we've cleared cookies and tried different locations. Curiously, a friend in Corfu seems to be able to get to the site consistently with no trouble. My speculation is that she registered a little while ago, and perhaps has the magic authentication cookie on her PC.

dixoncb

Postby dixoncb » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:17 am

Yeah, obviously, it didn't work. We screenshared with our friend in Corfu, the only way we could get into the site. We registered with our temporary AMKAs, and both got the message Μετά από έλεγχο των στοιχειων σας δεν ανήκετε στην τρέχουσα εμβολισαστική περίοδο. We are 63 and 60 respectively. There is a form to fill in if you think they've made a mistake, so we did, but I assume that's just another portal into the black hole.

Numbers here are still high, and the country is opening up next week, so without vaccinations we're probably sitting ducks. Fortunately, we succeeded in getting the cat her injections, so we'll be packing up and going back to the UK. After spending 14 years learning to speak good Greek, and investing more time and money than is reasonable, my Greek adventure is over.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:26 am

Have you tried asking your local friendly pharmacist to help. They can log onto the Emvolio web site by a different route and might be able to use your temporary AMKA number to arrange an appointment even when you can't. Worth a try.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:01 pm

Fortunately, we succeeded in getting the cat her injections, so we'll be packing up and going back to the UK. After spending 14 years learning to speak good Greek, and investing more time and money than is reasonable, my Greek adventure is over.

Leaving the country permanently because of a delay in vaccination seems to me like quite a drastic reaction.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:27 pm

dixoncb wrote: ... Numbers here are still high, and the country is opening up next week, so without vaccinations we're probably sitting ducks. Fortunately, we succeeded in getting the cat her injections, so we'll be packing up and going back to the UK. After spending 14 years learning to speak good Greek, and investing more time and money than is reasonable, my Greek adventure is over.

Why do you think you're sitting ducks? Covid has been around since February last year - presumably neither of you has contracted it in 14 months, and with vaccination rates slowly rising in Greece your chances of getting it diminish by the day. It seems like a bit of an over-reaction to leave the country, and I'm sure the cat would agree. I'm still waiting for my temporary AMKA to come through - I'm sure it'll turn up and everything will get sorted eventually. In the meantime I'm just being careful.

Tim

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:43 pm

Houmeri91,

I'd be very interested in your answers to Warwick's questions in his post from Sunday.

Thank you,

HB

Voni

Postby Voni » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm

I’m saddened Dixoncb that you are leaving your Greek adventure, but having felt totally abandoned and frustrated by our inability to access the vaccine roll out I can understand how you feel.......

We had newly issued AMKA numbers and became eligible for the jab in early February. Last week we finally got our AMKA recognised and we have our vaccines booked. At last!

Having fought tooth and nail to sort out our issue (believe me I tried everything) I’ll share what I have found out from a wide range of sources and feedback from friends...perhaps this will help someone.

The emvolio website initially didn’t recognise newly issued AMKAs telling people they weren’t eligible even when they were in the correct age platform.

Queries raised on the emvolio website went unanswered (well I say ALL, there were a few email replies sent out just acknowledging that you didn’t have an AMKA!).

In early April the website was updated to include a revised application form for those who didn’t have an AMKA. The new page asked for a lot more information, queries were acknowledged and given reference number. At that time I filled in another query stating that my AMKA wasn’t being recognised, I received a reply to this query today (27th April) so it looks now as if query forms are being processed.

As regards the temporary AMKA form it helps the process if the form is completed in Greek - it is essential that the municipality is entered in Greek unfortunately this isn’t made clear on the webpage. People who filled in the form using their biometric card details rather than passport information seem to have received quicker replies. Query forms for a temporary AMKA appear to have been dealt with in a random order, some people with low number receipts are still waiting whilst higher numbered queries have been dealt with.

Even after receiving notification of eligibility for a temporary AMKA (via SMS), people found it difficult to get a number issued, basically KEPs hadn’t received the relevant circular which informed them how to deal with this. Those who did eventually get a temporary AMKA then found it wasn’t being recognised by the system. It would appear that in most cases there is a delay of up to three weeks for AMKAs to be recognise but people are now finding that their temporary AMKAs are allowing them to book vaccination dates.

The emvolio website is being updated - usually over the weekend, so things are starting to move forward, if somewhat slowly.

RobiS

Postby RobiS » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks Voni for that incredibly informative response. It sounds like after you get a text from emvolio then you take that to the Kep to get your temp amka? Or do you get the temp amka on the sms or via email (and then take that to the Kep to make an appointment)?

Voni

Postby Voni » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 am

You get an SMS RobiS which you take to the KEP for them to issue the temporary AMKA. Just be aware that the text can only be sent to a Greek mobile.

Just to mention that if you don’t have an AFM you don’t need to fill in a from in the emvolio website, it will just reject you eventually and you will have wasted a lot of time. Those without an AFM can go to the KEP and ask for a temporary AMKA - you will need to take proof of identity.

If you already have an AMKA that isn’t being recognised don’t be tempted to apply for a temporary AMKA. Those in this situation should fill in the enquiry form.

Please be aware that most KEPs now are working strictly on an appointment only basis, they are being put under a lot of pressure from the AMKA situation, driving licence changes, biometric cards etc. If you don’t get a positive response from one KEP try another!

Unfortunately the rule is no AMKA no jab! Pharmacies cannot book an appointment without an AMKA.

Hope this helps....

RobiS

Postby RobiS » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:22 am

It does help, Voni, enormously. I have do have a Greek mobile and registered with that weeks ago (then again a week ago) but have an appointment at the Kep tomorrow morning, but no SMS. Any thoughts on whether that Kep appointment will just be pointless without the SMS? I do have an AFM.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am

In case it helps, the two couples I mentioned in an earlier post and in a post on another thread went back to KEP this morning.

One couple were essentially here as long term tourists with no property, no residence certificate and no AFM. KEP had previously registered them for a temporary AMKA and that registration had been acknowledged. KEP was now able to issue them with the temporary AMKA number but would not make an appointment. I am not sure if that is because they were just refusing to make appointments or if they knew that there would be a delay before the temporary AMKA was recognised. I have asked my pharmacist and she thinks it takes about 10 days for the temporary AMKA to appear on the system but once it does appear she confirmed that she can use it to make appointments.

The other couple have a house here, an AFM and one of them has a beige residence certificate. They are Irish so still EU citizens and only live here part time. Because their AFMs had been used to register them for temporary AMKAs, KEP could not issue them with the AMKA number and told them they would simply need to wait until they received a text or an email.

I think the situation is confusing because everybody's situation is different and how the system responds depends on the detail of the situation. Also the way KEP responds tends to vary somewhat from office to office so you are never quite sure if KEP are unable to do something, because the system won't let them, or that office doesn't want to do it.

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:04 am

Hi All ,
Follow up as per requests .

In my case in trying to obtain a number visited KEP who just gave me the run around intiallily , asking me to provide documents which when I provided they needed something else so turned into a deadend and they couldn't help at the time .

In parallel each time I saw an announcement re Temporary AMKA numbers completed an application online and that eventually led based on our final applications to us getting texts with the temporary numbers on them . ( 3 in total ) On the first two applications I used a passport as ID on the sucessful application I used the biometric card ID . ( might have been coincidence or that may have helped)

Tried to use the site to book appoinments for the vaccine then but wouldn't work for either of us so went to KEP once again and they then booked appointments for us with the temporary numbers I provided .

Bloody annoying that works for some people and not for others but just looks like we won the lottery to get two numbers !

Return to “General Discussion & News”