Lockdown Lifted

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

Lockdown Lifted

Postby Tim » Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 pm

Lockdown, to all intents and purposes, lifted from Friday morning.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/ ... al-travel/

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/ ... documents/

Hurrah and Huzzah!

Tim

Kilkis

Re: Lockdown Lifted

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 pm

Interesting choice of picture to illustrate the first linked article? If I lived in Morecambe I think I would be glad to stay in lockdown.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed May 12, 2021 8:03 pm

I thought that was the late great EM. The ladies look Greek, though. Maybe it's not just the brits who get p*****d up on holiday and go bonkers.

Tim

jane m clayton

Postby jane m clayton » Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 am

A comment on Facebook suggests the picture is EM because " it's not Wise"!!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 13, 2021 7:43 am

I would go along with that explanation. As most parents have said at some time in their lives, when watching children playing happily together: "It'll all end in tears".

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am

Well spotted , that statue is Eric Morecambe and it is on the sea front at Morecambe I used to live near there in Lancaster before we moved to Crete.
And yes I don't think it's wise to end the lockdown ... I think we should wait until more people have been vaccinated ..

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Friday morning bring me sunshine not the rain.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 am

We all have a GET OUT OF JAIL card

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom.

Asked her indoor where would she like to go. She has no idea, she has become institutionalized.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sat May 15, 2021 9:02 am

perhaps you should both stay in-doors. Drum roll ....................!!

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 am

Stay safe - mask on. Think of others. Stay in-doors. You don't need a law to stay in-doors.

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sat May 15, 2021 9:09 am

I went for a coffee with a friend - he was woopey-doopey over taking the vaccine. I got him a baguette put it down in front of him and said: "here you are Des get that down ya". He said" "whats in it"? I said; "Dont know I just told the guy to throw anything in it" - he replied: "You dont expect me to eat that do you"? !!!!!!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 15, 2021 9:28 am

Technically you are correct, Yorgo, it is not necessary to have a law but having a law does have an effect.

Everybody knows how the virus spreads. It is expelled in water droplets of varying sizes on the breath of infected people. It may then be breathed in by uninfected people close to them or it may deposit on surfaces which uninfected people might touch and indirectly infect themselves.

Knowing the infection mechanism means that the methods of avoiding infection are obvious. Wear a mask in case you are infected so anything you breath out mostly gets trapped in the mask. Don't get too close to other people, the further away the better. Wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, especially after touching any surface that might have become infected.

Everybody knows these "facts" and every country has done its best, some better than others, to inform its citizens of them. Some countries have used strict laws to force its citizens to obey these rules and some haven't. Norway and Sweden are two good examples. They are neighbouring countries with similar cultures, climates and population densities, although Sweden has about double the total number of citizens than Norway. Norway went down the strict legal route of enforcement. Sweden went down a very relaxed legal route relying more on people voluntarily obeying the rules. So far Norway has suffered 142 deaths per million population while for Sweden it is 1,406, i.e. ten times the death rate. Those are real "facts".

Around the world the countries that have the lowest death rates are those that have had rigorous legal enforcement and the ones with the highest death rates are those that didn't. Interestingly right at the beginning of the pandemic the WHO advised that the only way to stop the virus was to test, trace and isolate. The countries that followed that advice rigorously are the ones with the absolute lowest death rate and today have the most open economies. The ones that didn't follow that advice have the highest death rates and have suffered the most economically as well due to lockdowns.

Those are real "facts" backed up by published, hard scientific data.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat May 15, 2021 10:45 am

Yet, there is an attitude prevalent here that says 'we won't get caught out here in the villages', rather than 'I should wear a mask to protect others as well as myself'. Well, I suppose it fits with the 11th Commandment - 'Thou shalt not get found out!' Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”