Rats in the roof?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
NikkiC

Rats in the roof?

Postby NikkiC » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Finally moved in last week and thanks for all the advice I have received to date with my numerous questions.

First night I heard noise in the roof- sounded like they were wearing hobnail boots. Have seen a few droppings on the ground outside too.

The bedroom ceilings are high and vaulted wood. The exterior is pantiles. The height from ground is approximately 30’.

Can anyone recommend a professional who can access this and solve my problem. Thinking cherry picker or one of those platforms for access? Also I have a rescue dog, so need to be careful no poison is left where he could access it.

Any help very gratefully received.

P.S. love it here!!!

TweetTweet

Re: Rats in the roof?

Postby TweetTweet » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:09 pm

The height from ground is approximately 30’.

For (my) clarity, do you mean roughly 9metres e.g. probably typical 2 story house/apartment?

From my perspective (and practical experience last century) putting down poison won't actually fix the problem - admittedly this is based on the assumption that there is a cavity between your tiles and (maybe) an old concrete roof? Mr Ratty aka Rattus Norvegicus easily devour concrete.

Based on the above assumption, then you need to find out where/how the rodents are getting inside. You could use a humane trap and catch them one by one (I successfully have done that in my subterraneum apotheekee but it took some weeks to achieve) and then (having found their entry point) properly seal off that entrance (or entrances). Some form of rat poison such as warfarin (now given as a blood thinner to humans) would probably be most people's preferred solution and would be a lot quicker. I would think your dog would be very unlikely to come into contact with that? A cat might however but you must find out "where" they are getting in.

Just to say (again from previous experience) if rats are in your roof cavity then during the raining season it might also mean that water ingress could be an issue. Often people only see and buy their new homes during the dry seasons.

Well done for taking a rescue dog and yes, Crete is a truly wonderful place to live - we are very lucky :)

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:35 pm

NikkiC, good to hear that you have made the move. Regarding rats/mice/ or some-other-hobnail-boot wearing critter...
We live in a large olive grove. The critters obviously had the run of the land before we built our house. Like you, not at all impressed with rats*

We found a plug-in ultrasonic device online. Maybe worth a search? It works a treat and more specifically the one we have does not hurt/harm our dogs hearing. Proof being that our old boy rescue now sleeps in the same hall area as the plug-in. His choice; forsaking his squishy comfy bed in our bedroom.( Although as that is his new preference we have added another dog bed there for him!)

* Although decades ago I was a travel rep. My evening entertainment at my rental was watching the rats shimmy across the telephone wires to the wheelie bins. The locals used a catering size mayo tub lid, with a slit cut it in, placed on the phone lines.This was to stop their access to the residents’ homes. Worked a treat and never got old to watch them foiled. :lol:

BST

Postby BST » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 pm

If you are near Chania, Axon pest control.

NikkiC

Postby NikkiC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am

Many thanks all. It is over 10 metres high as house at different levels.

Axon are coming out to look tomorrow. If they can’t help I like the idea of the plug in - if you know the name of it let me know and I can do an online search.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:41 am

That sounds good getting Axon to come and look. We bought our plug-in pest repeller about 12 years ago, so I am sure that technology has advanced since then. I can’t see a trade name, per se written on it and have long since lost the box it came in. It is about as thick as two packs of playing cards and about 2-3 cm longer, so quite unobtrusive when plugged in. As far as I can see STV must be the trade name it says that on it plus, Advanced Pest Repeller. So try and search plug in pest repeller etc. I seem to recall that's what I did at the time and just make sure it is a pet friendly one. Our house is 134 sqm and it gives very good coverage.

NikkiC

Postby NikkiC » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:54 am

Thanks Kookla
They have now installed dog safe bait boxes around the property but will also look into the advanced pest repeller.

IzzyWhizz

Postby IzzyWhizz » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:03 am

To avoid any use of poison, if you can find the rats' entry point, smear peppermint oil around it and you'll never hear another hobnail boot.
Rats hate the smell and I have used this as a totally effective rat deterrent, whilst keeping our pets safe. We bought our peppermint essential oil from the naturopathic chemist in Souda (almost next door to Synka). You need to refresh it once a week, though.

Shelley

NikkiC

Postby NikkiC » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:01 pm

Thanks Shelley

Return to “General Discussion & News”