Property Legalisation Changes?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Bagshot

Property Legalisation Changes?

Postby Bagshot » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Has anyone knowlege of changes to the legalisation process made last Autumn (maybe October 2020)? In particular, any that involve closing of a balcony to create additional living space.

evansmr1

Re: Property Legalisation Changes?

Postby evansmr1 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:11 pm

I guess that you would need planning permission. I doubt that you would get it, On part of my Balcony, under the stairs to my terrace roof I built a small storage area. I was advised that it was illegal by our property planner as the balcony was above a small pedestrian road.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magna

Kilkis

Re: Property Legalisation Changes?

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:37 pm

A lot depends on allowed building area based on the plot size. If the area of the property is smaller than the allowed build area then it could be possible to extend the area of the property up to the allowed build area without it becoming illegal, provided it is done by submitting another planning application and getting a new building permit. Depending on the plot size and the plot location there could be other considerations such as the distance of any extension from the boundary.

Any extension that would exceed the building rules, e.g. on property size or distance to boundaries, or is done without a new building permit is illegal. It might be possible to obtain quasi-legalisation for such a property, i.e. it is deemed legal for 30 years, by paying a fine. What happens at the end of the 30 years nobody knows.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”