EU covid vaccination certificate not recognised by UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Rick

EU covid vaccination certificate not recognised by UK

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:31 am

It seems that anyone hoping to return to the U.K. to visit family etc., will still need to self isolate for 10 days, as vaccination certificates issued in EU countries are not being accepted at the present time - this rule may change later in the year.

Disappointing news for those double jabbed here in Crete, hoping to avoid quarantine on entering the U.K.

Quote from BBC article:
“Mr Shapps said a full vaccination means "14 days have passed since your final dose of the vaccine" - and only vaccines given by the NHS will count.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57763173

Jean

Re: EU covid vaccination certificate not recognised by UK

Postby Jean » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:45 am

It's as if the UK was trying to go the extra mile to distance itself from the EU. Insularity at it's best :(

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:23 pm

This is purely political and related to the aftermath of Brexit.

I can understand the UK only being prepared to accept vaccines that have been approved by MHRA but the vast majority of vaccines administered in the EU are identical to those administered in the UK. In fact many of them are produced in the EU. The vaccination certificate identifies which vaccine has been administered and when so there is absolutely no health reason for this decision. Medically two doses plus 14 days in the EU is identical two doses plus 14 days in the UK.

Having said that this KTG article does raise some concerns? A one off or more common?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:50 pm

Well, Grant Shapps this morning was rabitting on about the difficulties of understanding and dealing with different apps, particularly the ones in the USA where every state has its own system (largely paper based, he said; excuse me, apps, paper based, yer what?) We are all still being taken for idiots by this shower. So we can't understand French, Italian, Spanish etc at our borders? Gosh. !
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:35 pm

Well the EU Vaccination certificate itself is simply a pdf document so you can print it out or store it electronically on some smart device. Anybody can read a pdf document. All the important information on the EU Vaccination Certificate issued in Greece is in English and Greek. As far as I know the whole idea of an EU certificate is to have a common format so I presume that something similar is done in other EU countries, e.g English and Spanish if issued in Spain. The highlighted language, i.e. in bold text, is English. The dual language only applies to the headings. There is a paragraph which is only in Greek but all the vital data is wholly in English.

The QR code produces an encrypted text so the UK would need access to the decryption code in order to be able to verify it electronically, if they didn't want to accept the printed document, but I presume that is done through a standard encryption algorithm with a public key/private key system, i.e. you need the private key to create the code but you can issue the public key to anyone who needs it in order to decrypt it. That seems like a trivial hurdle to me. Yet again narrative to convince the ignorant.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:28 pm

I would hope that soon the situation regarding vaccinated British expats not needing to quarantine while visiting the UK will be resolved. In the meantime there is a petition to sign ...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/585438

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:45 pm

I was furious when I heard this following annoucement fired off missives blaming Little Britan Brexit Mentatlity , then listened to the minister on the today programme on Radio 4 . They are aware of the issue and said they will annouce something shortly so calmed me down think its just a matter of government getting its ducks in a row . There problem doesn't seem to be the EU which has a single system for vaccine passports but with the US which has 50 different systems for 50 different states . So as they always say 'Patience is a virtue' ........ but covid does seem to be trying it !!!!!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:51 pm

I like this sentence in the government response to the petition:

"Countries with high levels of vaccination but sustained high levels of infection would be of concern."

Isn't that a perfect description of the UK today? Both the petition and the government response to it pre-date the latest announcement on quarantine travel for fully vaccinated UK residents so the government ought to update their response in the light of the latest developments. Perhaps Mr Schapps can explain why a vaccine administered by the NHS makes it safe for people to escape quarantine but the identical vaccine administered by a medical body that works to exactly the same standards as the NHS doesn't? Perhaps Sage could explain the medical logic behind it?

If there is no problem with accepting the EU vaccination certificate why not include it? "We can't accept an EU certificate because there are problems with the US system" doesn't sound like a very logical argument to me but, as Mr Bercow might say, this government only has a nodding acquaintance with logic?

Warwick

Voni

Postby Voni » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:47 pm

Letter sent by British in Europe requesting a response to the latest travel/vaccine rules/quarantine.

https://www.britishineurope.org/article ... quarantine

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:23 pm

I agree 100 % with the content of the letter.

Warwick

johnr

Postby johnr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:17 pm

Also agree with the letter.
However the 'Blame it on Brexit' trope is wearing thin! Why on earth would even the stupidest politician use this as some sort of point scoring. Yes, the left hand hasn't a clue what the right hand is doing at the moment, but its a dynamic day to day problem, which we as armchair observers probably couldn't do better. Bit like watching a game of sport, all experts from the sideline.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:58 pm

I suspect it was a response to statements made by Merkel and Macron that vaccinated UK citizens shouldn't be allowed into the EU because of the rapid spread of the Delta variant in the UK. Tit for tat. Merkel has since said that it should be possible to admit fully vaccinated UK citizens "in the foreseeable future", whatever that means, so Schapps is effectively matching that rhetoric.

Although not front page news every day, there are still quite bitter negotiations going on between the UK and the EU over the northern Ireland protocol so there is little good will. The UK government has never been able to understand that the EU vigorously protects its border and isn't simply going to pretend the border doesn't exist just because it suits Johnson and Co. Brexit might be resolved for us but not for everyone.

Warwick

johnr

Postby johnr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:41 pm

The EU latched onto the NI issue at the 11th hour realising that it could scupper Brexit. Johnson called the bluff knowing full well that he would renege later on, regarding the so called Protocol.
The EU haven't a clue as to the Unionist feelings in NI. If the EU pursue this course it's they not the UK that are threatening the Good Friday Agreement. Notice how the Republic are becoming the arbitrator. They know full well what's happening.
The EU blinked first by extending the status quo. Johnson will sit back and watch it (the so called protocol) disappear into the abyss.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:20 pm

You can't simply rewrite history, John. The EU argued during the leave campaign that the Belfast agreement would present a major problem if the UK voted to leave. They were ignored - all just project fear. The EU were the first to propose the NI protocol pretty much in its present form as a solution to the Belfast agreement issue. Theresa May rejected it because it would break up the union and no UK prime minister would ever do that. Johnson sat next to her nodding vigorously. She couldn't then get through an agreement that kept the whole UK partly in the EU for a period until the border problem could be resolved. The only reason Johnson reached agreement so fast with the EU was because he simply reverted to their original proposal and then lied to parliament that what he agreed to would not mean a border in the Irish sea. He then continued to lie as all the border infrastructure was being built.

The UK was in the EU for 50 years and formed part of the EU border so the UK government knew exactly how rigorously the EU enforces its border. It cannot pretend that they didn't realise that they would work to the letter of the agreement. The EU research group fronted by the Mogster, held a public press conference before the leave vote ever happened claiming that technical solutions to the border issue already existed and could be implemented in months. They had lots of "experts" who supported this view. It is now 5 years since the vote so where are these technical solutions.

The EU has not created this problem. The problem was embedded in the vote to leave. As I wrote on here many years ago, there are 2 rules:

Rule 1 - We are going to take back control of our border.
    Rule 2 - We are not going to have a border.

That circle cannot be squared. This is absolutely nothing to do with COVID-19 BUT the rancour is still there and it colours every decision that the UK makes about the EU and the EU makes about the UK. The issue is being argued in UK-EU meetings as we write.

Warwick

mrsbluenose

Postby mrsbluenose » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:40 am

Well said and perfectly explained Warwick.

Stu

Return to “General Discussion & News”