Booster COVID Vaccination

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Booster COVID Vaccination

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:28 pm

For those who had two vaccinations against COVID-19 earlier in the year it is now possible to book an appointment for the booster dose, Αναμνηστική Δόση. Go to the Emvolio web site, Click on the large blue "Search with AMKA" button and enter your AMKA number and AFM in the boxes provided. If you are due a booster dose it will show your first and second doses and say that the government recommends that you get a booster dose. Click on the link and it takes you to the usual log in page using your Taxisnet ID and Password. That should take you to a page where you can select a date and time. I understand that they are only using the Pfizer vaccine for boosters so it will only give you a choice of the centres where that vaccine is being administered.

WHO are recommending that if you are in a vulnerable group, which includes the elderly, you should also get a flu vaccine as well. The control measures used to suppress transmission of COVID meant that there was virtually no flu last winter and hence it is expected to be worse than normal this winter.

Warwick

bobscott

Re: Booster COVID Vaccination

Postby bobscott » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 pm

Just had mine today. Appointment made through the local pharmacy on Friday. Unlike the previous injections I didn't get any text message reminders; but I have had one since to say that from tomorrow I can download my booster certificate! :D
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:21 pm

bobscott wrote:Just had mine today. Appointment made through the local pharmacy on Friday. Unlike the previous injections I didn't get any text message reminders; but I have had one since to say that from tomorrow I can download my booster certificate either through the gov.gr site, or KEP! :D
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:24 am

I was double jabbed in the UK, so I'm guessing that I would not qualify for the booster jab here?

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:30 am

Philb wrote:I was double jabbed in the UK, so I'm guessing that I would not qualify for the booster jab here?

It might be worth enquiring at Vamos Health Centre whether or not you can have it done. Presumably you have a vaccination certificate from UK. Do you have an AMKA number?

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:01 am

Philb wrote:I was double jabbed in the UK, so I'm guessing that I would not qualify for the booster jab here?

Why not Just jump back on a plane and use a third countries medical system?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:18 am

Three thoughts, Kamisiana:

1 Some people spend part of their life in Greece and part in the UK but COVID very much limited our ability to move. I haven't been back to the UK for two years now and it will probably be at least 6 months before I do. I would imaging Phil was vaccinated in the UK because he happened to be in the UK when the vaccine became available. I would guess that he is asking about getting the booster in Greece because he now happens to be in Greece, i.e NOT jumping on a plane in order to get it.
    2 Some of us, e.g. UK State Pensioners, are entitled to medical treatment in Greece which, in theory at least, is paid for by the UK so it doesn't really matter from a "cost to the medical system" point of view where we are vaccinated.
    3 In typical medical cost terms the price of vaccinating someone is completely trivial. It is more important to governments that people get vaccinated and they couldn't really care less who pays for it. How much do you think several weeks in an ICU costs the medical system?
You might need to ask at a centre where they are actually administering the Pfizer vaccine, Phil. Take along your UK vaccine certificate and your AMKA number. I doubt if it will be possible to book an appointment through the online Emvolio system since it will not show you as having received the first two jabs. I know one couple who had their first Pfizer vaccine in Greece but returned to the UK before they had had their second. They got the Greek vaccination centre to give them details of their first dose and managed to get their second dose in the UK.

Warwick

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:44 am

Kilkis wrote:Three thoughts, Kamisiana:

[list]
You might need to ask at a centre where they are actually administering the Pfizer vaccine, Phil.

That's why I suggested Vamos Health Centre. They administer the Pfizer vaccine.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:43 pm

I wasn't implying that the advice to use the health centre in Vamos was wrong, Margarita, just trying to broaden out the advice for those who might be in the same position but don't live in the Apokoronas area. I would guess that everybody's local pharmacy will know which centres are administering which vaccines. As far as I know only Pfizer is being used for boosters.

Warwick

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:28 pm

margarita wrote:

It might be worth enquiring at Vamos Health Centre whether or not you can have it done. Presumably you have a vaccination certificate from UK. Do you have an AMKA number?

Thank you Margarita, I will try that. I don't have an AMKA number yet as I didn't need one for the the first round of jabs.

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:30 pm

Kilkis wrote:Three thoughts, Kamisiana:

1 Some people spend part of their life in Greece and part in the UK but COVID very much limited our ability to move. I haven't been back to the UK for two years now and it will probably be at least 6 months before I do. I would imaging Phil was vaccinated in the UK because he happened to be in the UK when the vaccine became available. I would guess that he is asking about getting the booster in Greece because he now happens to be in Greece, i.e NOT jumping on a plane in order to get it.
    2 Some of us, e.g. UK State Pensioners, are entitled to medical treatment in Greece which, in theory at least, is paid for by the UK so it doesn't really matter from a "cost to the medical system" point of view where we are vaccinated.
    3 In typical medical cost terms the price of vaccinating someone is completely trivial. It is more important to governments that people get vaccinated and they couldn't really care less who pays for it. How much do you think several weeks in an ICU costs the medical system?
You might need to ask at a centre where they are actually administering the Pfizer vaccine, Phil. Take along your UK vaccine certificate and your AMKA number. I doubt if it will be possible to book an appointment through the online Emvolio system since it will not show you as having received the first two jabs. I know one couple who had their first Pfizer vaccine in Greece but returned to the UK before they had had their second. They got the Greek vaccination centre to give them details of their first dose and managed to get their second dose in the UK.

Warwick

Thank you for your advice Warwick. You are quite correct as to why my first two jabs were in the UK. I got caught up in lockdown and air travel uncertainty but took the opportunity to get vaccinated.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:10 am

I had my booster vaccination on Tuesday morning. My reaction to it was virtually identical to the second dose. On Tuesday evening I started to slight pain in the area where the vaccination was administered but no redness or swelling. That gradually reduced over a couple of days. On the Wednesday afternoon I started to feel as though I had a cold starting, i.e. no actual symptoms like runny nose or fever but generally feeling cold and off colour. That lasted through Thursday but had gone by this morning. Very much better than even a mild dose of COVID.

As far as I can see they are only offering appointments at the centre where people had their first two doses. When I booked first appointments for myself and several friends we were offered a choice of various vaccination centres. When I booked the third dose for myself and one friend we were only offered the centres where we had our first dose, which was different for each of us. I am not sure how it will work for people who received AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson since I don't think most of those centres have the capability to store the Pfizer vaccine and that is the only one being used for the booster.

Warwick

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am

For those that have received their ‘booster covid vaccination’ in Greece, does the vaccination record appear in their personal QR code, or when a new EU digital covid certificate is generated?

For instance, Austria will categorise travellers as unvaccinated if it has been more than 360 days since their second dose OR booster vaccination.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... abbed.html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:29 pm

It's hard to tell exactly what is happening. I don't think that it is a personal QR code but rather a QR code that links to the certificate stored on the government web site.

I went online 2 days after my third vaccination and generated new certificates, i.e. the EU version and the Greek version. They both show that I have had 3 doses. The EU version shows the date of the third dose while the Greek one shows the dates of all three doses. The Greek COVID Free App that scans QR codes doesn't show all the details, it simply shows your full name in both Greek and Latin characters, a green tick in a circle and also in green the word Accepted. I don't know if the tick means that you are fully vaccinated or it simply means that it is a valid certificate and the person checking can believe the information on the certificate that they have scanned? I tried scanning the Greek certificate that I printed when I had had my second dose back in March and it also shows my name and a tick. The Unique Certificate Identifier/Document ID changes every time you generate a certificate even if your vaccination status hasn't changed so it would appear that every time you go online to get a certificate it is actually generating a new one, presumably with a new QR code.

If people have had a third dose I would recommend that they generate a new certificate.

Warwick

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Has anyone with a temporary AMKA number (prefixed with 9) booked their booster vaccination? I'm assuming that temporary AMKA numbers will remain active for the COVID vaccination program, but I don't know this.

Return to “General Discussion & News”