Delivery of Parcels - England to Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Yorgo

Delivery of Parcels - England to Crete

Postby Yorgo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Hello, all - I would like to ask for info in regard to the time it takes for parcels to reach Crete (Rethymno) sent from England. I posted 2 packages using Royal Mail to Rethymno. Here we are 8 weeks later they have not reached their destination. They are small packets, properly addressed.

Why are they taking so long?

Thanks for help.

Kilkis

Re: Delivery of Parcels - England to Crete

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:24 pm

With the correct customs declaration?

Warwick

Joan

Postby Joan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 pm

My daughter posted us two items from the UK in the middle of June. One was a card for our wedding anniversary. One was a small package containing a replacement strap for my binoculars, on which she made the proper customs declaration.

I have been chasing at Kalyves post office intermittently ever since.

The card finally arrived in the first week of October.

I received a letter from Athens about the package in mid-October. I emailed the address given in the letter and almost immediately had a reply in excellent English saying it would be "released" from Customs shortly. The next morning Andreas, the new postman from Kalyves post office, phoned me (also using excellent English) to say that it had arrived there. I had to pay him just over 4 euros on an item which cost £10.

So my experience is that it all takes about five months! But it does arrive eventually. (Items sent from Crete to the UK at the same time took about 3 days to arrive.)

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:43 pm

As far as I can tell the UK is not carrying out any checks on items sent from the EU to the UK but the EU is pretty rigorously enforcing customs checks on goods coming the other way. Pretty much what was predicted would happen?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:21 pm

Over the last 10 to 15 years, I have been receiving a quarterly auction catalogue, dispatched about 4 to 5 weeks before the auction, in about 1 week maximum. Since the spring of this year, the catalogues have arrived anything between 5 and 25 days after the auction. Fortunately I can bid on-line.

I have no proof, but I suspect the EU is just playing hard ball. As Warwick suggests, all as expected. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:24 pm

Thank you to all for repling. It seems I just have to wait.

Return to “General Discussion & News”