Registering your car at the Greek Embassy in London...

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Lesleyvj

Postby Lesleyvj » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:26 pm

does anybody know of anyone who has done this? I have been told (by staff at the embassy) that if we can proove we have owned hte car for 6 months and been living and working in the Uk for 6 months then we can register the car here free of charge.
If we register in Crete then we will have large fee's to pay.
Any advice on this would be much appreciated. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee overlander whichs great for our dogs (3 Japanese Akita's) we're driving over to Crete as soon as our house sale goes through here in the UK & would liek to keep the jeep in Crete.
Regards
Lesley

jeansy

car

Postby jeansy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Best of luck !!! the UK did not sign up to part of the EU bull and the Greek Goverment has decided that UK registered cars cannot be here and on Crete they enforce it big time, so do not bother unless you wish to spend a fortune on legal fees.
Paul

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:01 am

I could be wrong but I wasn't aware that you can actually register the car at the embassy. My understanding, although I have not done it myself, is that you can get all the paperwork you need validated by the embassy so that, when you come to register the car in Crete, you pay a relatively small fee rather than the extortionate fee that they usually charge. That's always assuming that the authorities in Crete accept the paperwork from the embassy. No guarantees there I am afraid. I know of people who have done it but I believe, having sorted out all the paperwork themselves with the embassy, which took several trips, they still paid an agent in Crete and it cost around 2,000 Euro.

Good luck

Warwick

PS It sounds like quite a big vehicle? Is the engine under 2 litre? If not you will allocated an assumed income in Greece based on the engine size and taxed on that income even if you earn nothing. You can avoid this tax only if you bring into Greece more than the assumed income every year and get validation documents, usually referred to as pink slips, from the bank.

Lesleyvj

Postby Lesleyvj » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks for all the in put and info. The engine is big, 2.7 litre I was aware of tax being paid on the jeep because it is a 4X4 but was unaware of the assumed income bit.
I think it may be best all around if we drive over with the dogs and tow the boat as we planned then return to the Uk and sell the jeep there.

One more question, I have tried to email Kimberley & Peter at the Crete Kennells or dog hotel but both my emails have been returned, are they still in business? if so does anyone have their email address?
Regards
Lesley

margarita

Re: Registering your car at the Greek Embassy in London...

Postby margarita » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Lesleyvj wrote:does anybody know of anyone who has done this?
Regards
Lesley

Lesley,

You might be interested in this thread on another forum

http://tinyurl.com/67ew5a

margarita

Lesleyvj

Postby Lesleyvj » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 am

Thanks for that margarita, I'll get onto the Greek Embassy and find out for sure (?)

Lesley

mcubbin

customs car pounds

Postby mcubbin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Whenever car imports are mentioned, leaving the car at a customs pound for 185 days is put forward as an option, has anyone had experience of using one, what were the costs and what was the condition of the car on your return ?

carlab

Postby carlab » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Lesley
have sent a PM with e mail address for the kennels

regards

Part time Skopi resident

Postby Part time Skopi resident » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:36 pm

........ I have contacted the Greek Embassy regarding the same matter, except I'm hoping to export a 20 year old Motorcycle out to Crete for use when I'm out during the winters ( slightly longer stay than n6 months! )
Still waiting to hear back from them.

Part time Skopi resident

Postby Part time Skopi resident » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Finally had a reply back from the Consulate General [consulategeneral@greekembassy.org.uk]
Please call our relevant department on 0207-313-5608
Unquote
I have to sort out a fuel problem on the bike first before i can commit to sorting the registration out, so watch this space

Return to “General Discussion & News”