What are the legal grounds for a long-term rent?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 11:24 am
Location: Tallinn

What are the legal grounds for a long-term rent?

Postby Serko » Tue May 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Hello everybody!

I bought a new bungalow in the vicinity of Kolimbari and, of course, the book which I found very helpful.

Page 36 Paragraph 2 attracted my attention. It says: "If your house rented long term, over 3 months to one party, this is not classed as a holiday rental and you do not require an EOT licence".

I wonder whether you can give me a precise name of the document used as the grounds for that statement.

And I am interested to get to know if this rule is still valid and if a copy of the lease contract submitted to the tax office can serve as a proof of that long term rent.

Thanks in advance

Serko from Estonia

Site Admin
Posts: 3269
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: Chania, Crete

Postby Carolina » Tue May 01, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi Serko,

I'm glad that you have found the book helpful.

The paragraph you mention comes from an EOT statement - i.e. if you rent a house for less than 3 months to one party then it is classed as a holiday rental and you are required to obtain an EOT licence.

For a long term rental a copy of the signed contract between the two parties (owner and tenant) should officially be registered at the tax office by the owner, and such contracts usually run for 1 to 3 years. A three month contract term may not actually be recognised by the tax office (I can't confirm this) as in Greek law (current @ 2006) tenants and owners both have rights for 3 years in a rental contract. Which means that in effect many contracts would not actually stand up in court if it came to it.

The tax office will be able to tell you if a 3 month contract is accepted by them , and if it is then I guess that is your proof? I don't understand to whom you are trying to 'prove' the long term rent .. to EOT?

As I say in my book "Individuals should always consult the relevant authorities, a Greek lawyer or accountant about legal and taxation issues relating to their personal circumstances."
Please remember that this info is for guidance, it is not professional advice.

Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 24 guests