US citizens

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Graham

US citizens

Postby Graham » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:38 am

Hello, Are there any US citizens here on this forum or does anyone here know of any living on Crete?

Thanks

Graham

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:58 pm

Hi Graham,

The forum is brand new, so I don't know if there are any US citizens out there lurking! I'm sure there are...

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:22 am

Thankyou for your reply Carol. Being a non-EU citizen I was wondering all what other US citizens went through to recieve an extended visa past 90 days. Ireland was rather easy and was wondering if it be the same for Crete.

Thanks again

Graham

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm

There is some info here Graham:
http://athens.usembassy.gov/us_citizen/ac_residency.htm

As far as I know you are required to leave after 90 days - I know of a couple of Americans who live here and take a short trip out of Greece every 3 months and then return.

The CIC in Chania has some American members - perhaps they could put you in touch with someone for more info if no one else replies here.
see www.thecic.eu

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:15 pm

Carolina wrote:There is some info here Graham:

As far as I know you are required to leave after 90 days - I know of a couple of Americans who live here and take a short trip out of Greece every 3 months and then return.

The CIC in Chania has some American members - perhaps they could put you in touch with someone for more info if no one else replies here.
see www.thecic.eu

Thankyou again Carol. This is one of my questions I want to ask. How long is required to leave Crete before returning for another 90 days.

I will contact the link above in Chania.

I understand there is a british military base there. When I was in Germany as a US military member I could use the NAAFI. This is so for retired also but different countries has different policies toward military retirees and the use of facilities. Any info on this?

Thanks

Graham

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Carolina wrote:There is some info here Graham:

The US Embassy link answered many of my questions.
Thanks

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if the same info found on the american embassy site also applies to canadians wishing to stay in crete past 90 days. All Canadian govenment sites I have found have not been very specific or helpfull concerning this.

I did visit the Greek embassy here in Montreal and they told me that within one calender( from January till January) year a non Greek could only stay a total of 180 days (continuous or divided up) without a student visa or work permit.

I am in a very particular situation and cannot find any definitive information, as every source I find says something different. Any links you could recomend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leana

Postby Leana » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if the same info found on the american embassy site also applies to canadians wishing to stay in crete past 90 days. All Canadian govenment sites I have found have not been very specific or helpfull concerning this.

I did visit the Greek embassy here in Montreal and they told me that within one calender( from January till January) year a non Greek could only stay a total of 180 days (continuous or divided up) without a student visa or work permit.

I am in a very particular situation and cannot find any definitive information, as every source I find says something different. Any links you could recomend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oops, I forgot to log in before posting :oops:

That question is from me Leana, a new member to this Forum.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:12 am

Leana wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Hi,

Oops, I forgot to log in before posting :oops:

That question is from me Leana, a new member to this Forum.

I do believe you and I are in the same situation both being from non-EU countries. I do believe the link above to the US Emassy would appy to you also since it is stating info gathered from the Greek Embassy.

It states that without a six or one year visa a 90 day period with a break of another 90 days is the allowed stay as a tourist which confirms what you were told.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:55 am

Hi Leana.

The Canadian embassy's website with information on travelling to Greece is here, and it states what 'Guest', above, says:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en. ... try=106000

AgaFrank77

How long someone not from the EU can stay in Crete

Postby AgaFrank77 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi,

I'm from Poland and before it became a member of the EU I was on Crete and faced the same situation you are facing right now. I remember that 90 days was the max (I left after that time), but I was told that if I wanted to stay longer I would have to report to the local police and pay an extra fee to extend my visa. So, if you need any specific info, contacting the police in Crete might help. Good luck.

Aga
Agnes Frankowski

Return to “General Discussion & News”