Rats

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
robbodeb

Rats

Postby robbodeb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Woke up this morming to see a rat stalking across the top of the upstairs pergola beam. What can we do, apart from poison (which I will not do as I have 2 dogs, who have both been poisoned in the past, but luckily I have the antidote and they both survived) Anything other to use? Don't really want a cat, because of my dogs, and if I did get a cat then I would have to feed it to encourage it to stay and therefore, well fed, not interested!! Any suggestions appreciated.

Deb

latsida

Postby latsida » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:31 pm

I know this sounds ridiculous but you can buy these little trays that have glue in them baited with nuts and when the rats walk onto them they get their feet stuck and cannot escape.
you can then dispose of them.
we bought the trays in our local agricultural shop cannot remember the name but they will be in the section with all the other pest control remedies

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Hmmm!!

Don't like the idea of disposing of them though Latsida. I assume they are still alive when stuck. I also believe that a rat if trapped will gnaw through its own flesh to escape in circumstances like this.

On the positive side, Robbodeb may find it easier to catch them minus a leg or two!!

:shock:

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 am

How many million do you propose to kill?

Warwick

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:20 am

Kathleen wrote:Hmmm!!

I assume they are still alive when stuck. I also believe that a rat if trapped will gnaw through its own flesh to escape in circumstances like this.

Kathleen

What about cruelty to animals?

oliveoyl

Postby oliveoyl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:35 pm

You can buy rat catchers which are, essentially, silver metal boxes about a foot long, you attach bait to a hook then set the spring trip on the door (mind your hands, the spring is pretty ferocious). Rat smells bait, eats, wham, door slams shut, you jump through the roof, rat bemused but unharmed, ready for long trip to countryside to be released. Readily available from most hardware stores.

As I understand it cats don't eat rats but see them as fast moving toys. Useful.

robbodeb

Postby robbodeb » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 pm

We think the box suggestions maybe the best.

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:48 pm

robbodeb wrote:We think the box suggestions maybe the best.

If you want to get rid of a rat "problem" catching, or destroying them, one at a time will be pointless. If you are aware of one rat there will be many more and due to their reproduction cycle very soon there will many, many more.
The only effective way to take out a rat colony is by poison and the best poison to use is "tracking bait". This powder is laid on a rat run and is picked up by the rat. The rodent (whose personal grooming routine would probably show yours as lacking) cleans itself and ingests the poison. Death follows in due course.

Before committing to this line of action you should be aware that Ratty's death will be slow, painful and not nice for either him or you - assuming you have not had a total compassion bypass.

Why not try live and let live? I don't have a problem with four legged rats; they're certainly preferable to the two legged variety.

Regards, LFB.
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

robbodeb

Postby robbodeb » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:54 pm

LFB, trying to do the most humane thing that we can. I tend to agree with the : just leave them alone theory. We do not seem to be over-run with them, however, our worry is the 'Wells' thing! On a brighter side, we have checked all outside and can not find any evidence of droppings. But yesterday I saw a small creature, just like a squirrel jumping around on the patio, how cute :lol:

Deb

Xenos

Postby Xenos » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:26 pm

robbodeb wrote:LFB, trying to do the most humane thing that we can.

Deb

Rats will show no consideration for you so why should you be concerned for them? You can plan to "leave them alone" but will they leave you and your possessions alone? I think not.

Last winter rain poured through our roof. There was a rats nest under the tiles and they had eaten through the felt. Cost - 350 Euros to repair the roof. We paid 50 Euros to have our washing machine repaired (it is in an outside building) after rats had eaten a hose and chewed the motor. An electrocuted rat was still on the motor!

We have tried an ultrasonic thingy which is supposed to send them on their way - useless!

Rats are vermin. I have an air rifle and shoot any I see. I consider it humane as they die instantly. If you are no good with a rifle a .410 shotgun could improve your kill rate.

rainbowmir

Postby rainbowmir » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:18 pm

I am with Xenos here. And I presume that when robbo put "Wells", he was actually referring to Weil's disease which can be caught through contact with rat's urine. A very unpleasant disease.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000444/

The thing about "leaving them alone" is that rats multiply at an unbelievable rate so your "odd" rat will become a pack very quickly and could become far more of a problem for you in the future.
Last edited by rainbowmir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

robbodeb

Postby robbodeb » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Xenos, You have not seen me play darts. Air rifle, totally useless. 410 shot gun!!!! no windows left.

Sorry about the spelling of Weil's desease, but this does concern me. Not seen the offending critter since, however, checking where they could be and the only thing we can think is it/they are inside the pergola between wood and tiles, where the birds usually nest. However, it could have been just one passing through, but doubt it! Maybe will just buy a pipe and charm it/them.

One thing someone suggested is mothballs.

Thanks for your suggestions. Debbie

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:04 am

Cats, even when well-fed, usually can't resist the urge to hunt. We feed a family of feral cats when we can, and have received more than one dead rat as a gift in return.

Return to “General Discussion & News”