2009 Difficult year for Crete tourism

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:If you eat (northern?) Greek style of putting lots of dishes in the centre of the table and everybody digging in then the more people there are the cheaper it is per person. Seems to happen with starters in Crete but people here seem to prefer their own main dish.

This happens everywhere I go. So I think it's a Greek thing rather than just a northern Greek thing. With family or friends we even eat straight from the serving bowl and don't put 'portions' on our little plates. ie fork to shared salad to mouth, and skip the spooning onto your own plate.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Assimilate wrote:........ we even eat straight from the serving bowl and don't put 'portions' on our little plates. ie fork to shared salad to mouth, and skip the spooning onto your own plate.
That's my experience in Crete, too, certainly amongst Greeks. However, the majority of UK [and other foreign] residents seem to cling to the individual portion mode of dining.

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:34 pm

We recently paid around 35 euros for a meal for 4, which included 1.5 litres of wine, water, raki, mezedes & main courses - all in all more than we could possibly eat. This was in a "local" taverna. The tourist places in town usually come out at around 25 euros for 2 people, but even then very good value for money.

Having had experience of English prices recently I can certainly say that although it is no longer really cheap to eat out here it is certainly very reasonable, and I don't think anyone gets ripped off by the tourist places unless, perhaps, they go for fish or the "specials".

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:54 pm

With family or friends we even eat straight from the serving bowl and don't put 'portions' on our little plates. ie fork to shared salad to mouth, and skip the spooning onto your own plate.

That’s how we eat on our own or with Greek friends, but you do have to stop and think, when eating with either other ‘foreign’residents or with visitors from the UK. Makes for an interesting little anthropological exercise.

Which ones are instantly in tune with the culture, delighted to share lots of dishes and happy to stick their fork into a shared salad? Surprisingly few. Even those who are pleased to sample a variety of dishes still instinctively want to spoon portions onto their own plates. I was amazed to discover that one of my best friends, the most sociable and laid-back of women, had serious tensions about eating from a communal dish.

I try to be sensitive to this, and not to be judgemental, remembering how uncomfortable it used to make me to see my son, back from a year out in India, still eating all his food with his fingers for months afterwards.

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Clio wrote: Makes for an interesting little anthropological exercise.

not sure we can allow "anthropological" when it's only Tuesday?

give us a chance filippos, I was just checking I'd got the quote right and hit the submit rather than the preview
Last edited by paulh on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:35 pm

paulh wrote:
Clio wrote: Makes for an interesting little anthropological exercise.

And your comment is?

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 pm

not sure we can allow "anthropological" when it's only Tuesday?

Yes you can, as there's no 'r' in the month.

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:50 pm

off topic i know, but can anyone name 3 consecutive days in a week all with a "t" in them??
dont sweat the small things

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:41 am

Η Δευτέρα, Η Τρίτη, Η Τετάρτη

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:56 am

yesterday, today, tomorrow

Lawman

2009 Difficult Year For Greek Tourism

Postby Lawman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:18 am

To Clio,
The 'we' in this case is my wife and myself. I am delighted to say that I have retired from practice in the UK.
Kind regards

karpathoskate

2009 difficult year for Crete tourism

Postby karpathoskate » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 am

I was in Southern Spain in May, and it was really crowded, but drinks etc are SO much cheaper there than in most Greek tourist areas. Also Olympic Airlines constant strikes aren't helping, many people fly with Olympic to various islands as their luggage is handled all the way through with OA. We have no choice here, OA or a slow ferry but the strikes and threatened strikes are difficult to deal with. Yes, toiletries in Greece are very expensive but I presume tourists bring them with them on holiday. I try to get deodorants, talc, cat treats & treatments when visiting UK because they are so expensive in Greece. Still if you love Greece I think most people just return and return and return.

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:43 pm

ooooo very clever filippos and correct paul :)
and agree with you karpathoskate, within reason the price is immaterial if you fall in love with the place.(still hate getting ripped off though)

kilkis, :D the london area and indeed the whole south east corner of england is probabley the dearest in the uk for doing almost anything.
with regards to your last post on this thread, I made a point of looking out for pub grub prices while traveling around the west coast of Scotland over the last few days .... the cheapest I saw was £3.95 a head ( possibley the frozen stuff suggested) and the dearest was £7.95 (which i may add was superb :P and included coffee) ...indeed most of the indian and chinese restuarant that open for lunch offer an "all you can eat buffet" normaly between 12 and 5pm for £5.95, but then stuff you for drinks.
when you spend time in any location you learn the better places to eat.
the southeast of england isnt one of them. :roll:
dont sweat the small things

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:20 pm

If you look at your original post, Brian, it says "anywhere" in the UK.

I know places in the centre of Chania within a few metres of the harbour where you can eat very cheaply.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 pm

A bit more discouraging news for tourism reported today,

"More Britons are taking their holidays at home. 1.6 million fewer people travelled from Britain in April - the latest month for which figures are available."

............... unless the recent rotten weather in UK has created a late rush.

Return to “General Discussion & News”