Living Costs in Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
matrix1329

Living Costs in Crete

Postby matrix1329 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Hello,

I got a job offer from the University of Crete in Heraklion, with a salary of about 2000EUR/Month, and I am thinking whether it is advisable to go there or not. I would be moving from Germany with my wife and my son (1 1/2 years old), and we are planning to have a second child in the near future. Could somebody in this forum tell me about the approximate living costs (flat rental for two bedrooms, normal supermarket shopping basket, telephone, internet, transportation etc)? My future boss told me that he as a university professor also earns only about 2400 EUR/month, so my salary should be above average, I think. He also told me that the rent of a two-bedroom flat should be around 400 EUR. Is that correct?

I would appreciate any realistic view on the living expenses in the Heraklion area. It would greatly help me to make a decision on this job offer.

Best, Rene.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:39 pm

I can't go into costs of living for the area as I am in Athens, but I can tell you;

1: 2000€ a month will equal 28,000€ a year, as in Greece we get 14 months pay a year. Easter and August you get an extra 1/2 a months pay and Christmas you get a full months pay extra.

This is a very good wage for Greece.

2: The tax and IKA for 2k is around 500 euro's. So take home will be around 1500€.

Good luck with whatever decision you come to

matrix1329

Postby matrix1329 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for the answer. Actually the salary is already after-tax. I forgot to say that. But presuming that Athens is most expensive in Greece: How much does one need there for rent, and for normal food/drink/consumables?

Rene

Assimilate wrote:I can't go into costs of living for the area as I am in Athens, but I can tell you;

1: 2000€ a month will equal 28,000€ a year, as in Greece we get 14 months pay a year. Easter and August you get an extra 1/2 a months pay and Christmas you get a full months pay extra.

This is a very good wage for Greece.

2: The tax and IKA for 2k is around 500 euro's. So take home will be around 1500€.

Good luck with whatever decision you come to

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:25 pm

So is your salary after tax Euro 24.000? Does it take the extra 2 months into account? Or is your total after tax yearly income Euro 28.000?

Whichever it is, as Assimilate wrote this is a very good wage for Greece. But then as Malcolm Brabant wrote in a BBC article Greece is 'a land of European prices and African wages.'
Athens may be more expensive than Cretan cities but not by much.
You'll manage on this money but you won't be that well-off.

Rentals may be cheaper compared to Germany. Two bedrooms in Heraklion are probably anywhere between Euro 300 and Euro 600 - from cheap to luxurious and quite spacious.

As for food and drinks, I'd say prices similar to Germany, some things cheaper here, some things cheaper there. Overall it is the same.

Of course another factor in your decision is quality of life. That's very subjective too. Have you been to Crete before? Personally, I decided to move to Crete 18 years ago. It sure wasn't for the money. In fact that part was pretty tough at times but I never regretted my decision.

matrix1329

Postby matrix1329 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Dear Jean,

They just told me its about 2000/month. I guess I will get 14 months salary, if this is standard in greece, as I would be employed by the university. I will ask them again I guess :-)

Concerning the living quality: I have neither been in Crete, or any other parts of Greece before. I have been to italy, so I know a little bit about life there. Can you tell me a bit about life in Greece?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:05 pm

My son is at the Technical Institute in Heraklion, shares a spacious 2 bedroom apartment and they pay 500 euros a month. Unfurnished. All the 2 bedroomed rentals they looked at in September 2008 near town were between 400 and 550 euros per month.

Telephone and internet costs ... many deals around just now e.g. Tellas have a deal with phone & ADSL internet for 39 euros per month inclusive which gives all free calls to landlines within Greece and Europe.

2,000 euros may be above average for a Greek salary but in most Greek households with children both partners work and their combined income is at or above that level. Add in the fact that many own their own homes outright and do not pay rent or a mortgage.

What Jean says makes a lot of sense .. take off the cost of rent and could you live in Germany at present with the amount that is left? it would be pretty much the same in Crete - although perhaps heating costs would be less.

It's certainly do-able, but you may be worse off than you are currently in Germany if earning a lot less here.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Can you tell me a bit about life in Greece?

Life in Greece / Crete is what you make of it :-)

Seriously, it's too wide a question and I don't really have the time to write a book right now. Maybe others will want to answer.

What attracts you to this job? Can't be the money?

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:08 pm

I get telephone and internet for a fixed price of 39.90€ a month. That includes;
Free to local and national fixed lines
Unlimited calls to 40 international destinations*
60 minutes to mobile phones a month.
up to 24Mbs Internet.

*Unlimited international calls apply to all fixed lines in: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Canada (fixed lines & mobiles), China, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Fyrom, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, S.Africa, S.Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, UK, USA (fixed lines & mobiles). For the rest international destinations, charges according to pricelist are applied.

package here

This isn't an ad even if it reads like one. All the other telecoms companies have similar options. Its just I know this one as I use it and the websites in English and fairly easy to navigate for a Greek website.

matrix1329

Postby matrix1329 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Carolina: If I subtract the rent of your son, I will end up with 1500 EUR/month, which is about my FULL salary now in Germany. So I will surely be able to live with my family on that. So if living is not considerably more expensive on Crete, I think living would be no problem. My wife and I normally cook for ourselfes, and our son is still small (1 1/2 years), so he only would need to go to Kindergarten at most.

BTW: Can you tell me about the childcare situation in Greece?

Jean: Its a postdoctoral research position in physics. I have three offers, one from Barcelona, one from Berlin and one from Crete. I first considered which group would be strongest scientifically, and fit best my research interests. This is for sure the group in Crete. I also know the professor leading the group there a bit, and he told me that they want to build up a really good group there. After all, I stayed 5 years in Germany now, and the prospect of a nice warm place in the mediterrean is not too bad.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:59 pm

I first considered which group would be strongest scientifically, and fit best my research interests. This is for sure the group in Crete.

I think that you answered your question there. Go for it! A lot of people find that Crete is a great place. You can get a taster on my site www.west-crete.com Not Heraklion but it'll give you an idea.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Assimilate wrote:...
up to 24Mbs Internet...

Note that this figure only applies where Forthnet have their own infrastructure. I am not sure if that extends to anywhere on Crete yet.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:30 am

Hi

Can Jean and Carolina clarify if the Telecom deals they mention, Tellas and forthnet include line rental from OTE or is this additional?

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:48 pm

john4d wrote:Hi

Can Jean and Carolina clarify if the Telecom deals they mention, Tellas and forthnet include line rental from OTE or is this additional?

John

Hi John, yes these Telecom deals include line rental; there is no other bill from OTE. However they aren't all widely available in all areas yet - e.g. the Tellas deal is not yet available in Akrotiri beyond the University.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:09 pm

matrix1329 wrote:
BTW: Can you tell me about the childcare situation in Greece?

There are many private nurseries in Heraklion and most areas of Crete. They will usually take babies from a few months old and charge in the region of 250 euros to 300 euros per month for full time (i.e 5 days 8am to 2 or 3 pm). Depending on the nursery, it may be possible to go part time.

See also http://www.livingincrete.net/schools.html

Alternatively I'm sure there would be many students at University who would jump at a part time job babysitting.

matrix1329

Postby matrix1329 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Dear Carolina,

Thanks for the advise! Another question: Are there many germans / chinese in Heraklion?

Best, Rene.

Return to “General Discussion & News”