Property Tax Bills

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Property Tax Bills

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:23 pm

I don't know if anyone remembers but there was a (sometimes heated) discussion regarding the new property tax on this forum a year or so ago. I was told by a friend yesterday that the tax has finally materialised and bills for it are now being sent out.

The tax is levied at around 0.1 % of the objective value of the property, i.e. the value calculated from the area multiplied by a figure from a table produced by the tax office. In his case it amounted to 75 Euro for a 100 sq m ish house in a village near Chania so that gives you some idea. I am mentioning it on here for the following reason:

The tax is not applicable to your primary residence provided it is under a defined size and value. A large number of ex-pats, however are registered as "not-resident" for tax purposes even though they live here permanently. As far as I can tell anybody who is registered as "not-resident" for tax purposes CANNOT claim that the property is their primary residence and so ARE liable to pay the tax. Now comes the tricky bit. If you are registered as "not-resident" for tax purposes then you must have quoted a representative in Greece on your tax registration form, usually your lawyer or your accountant. The bill will be/has been sent to that representative, NOT to you.

Obviously I am sure that your lawyer/accountant will be highly proactive and will contact you as soon as the bill arrives? On the off chance that you think your lawyer/accountant might not be quite as proactive as I suggest it might be worth contacting them and asking if they have received any such bill for you. As with most tax bills, there is a deadline for payment and if you go past it there is a fine, although I am told it is fairly small. My friend finally prised his bill out of his lawyer yesterday only to discover that his deadline was today. He tried to pay it yesterday but the tax office was on strike. It has been suggested to me that the bills may be sent out in phases so it is possible your bill might not have been sent yet but I cannot confirm this. If in doubt you could always go to the tax office and ask if a bill has been raised for you, if so how much for and when is it due. That's assuming they decide to go back to work sometime.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info Warwick.

Just a note on the tax office (Chania). It has been closed by striking farmers for the last 4 days or so as part of their ongoing protest. It is not the tax office workers themselves who are on strike.

Also I believe this only affects the Chania tax office and not others.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Well it looks like my understanding of the rules on the property tax was wrong. I got my "bill" today. Since my house is certainly below the size and cost limits and I am registered as tax resident I didn't expect to get one. Also my accountant said I shouldn't get one.

Still, not all bad news. The "bill" was for 13.04 Euro and they don't bother collecting it if it is less than 27 Euro so nothing to pay. Rather a non-event but I thought the information could be useful to others who might have a tax envelope winging their way at any moment.

Warwick

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Despite chasing on our behalf, still no sign of ours yet, Warwick. Neighbours with an identical property were told some time ago they must pay 69Euros. I expect it will catch up with us via the Lawyer and our accountant (who is the same one as theirs) eventually.

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:54 am

When we went in to sort out our tax return in May, our accountant said that about 25% of his clients had received bills so far.

I actually had another thought about this. It is possible that, as an administrative method, instead of exempting certain properties they simply have a calculation system that ensures those properties that would be exempt come out with an amount owed that is less than the minimum amount collectable.

For example they may apply different calculations of rateable value, to which the 0.1 % tax is applied, depending on whether it is your primary residence or not. No idea if this is what is happening but it is a possibility. On our assessment it looks like they have applied the 0.1 % to a value that is close to, but not identical to, the objective value of the land that appeared on our contract. It looks like it doesn't include anything for the house itself. If they had applied it to the sum of the objective values of the land and the house then it would be closer to the sorts of sums other people have had to pay.

Anyone else who is registered as resident for tax purposes had a bill yet?

Warwick

gardon

Postby gardon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 pm

We had our bill a few weeks ago. 129 euro for a 192 sq mtr house.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:49 pm

I am registered for tax here as a resident.
I had a bill for 11 Euros for a piece of land I own.

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Nothing yet, and I hope the land doesn't come into the calculation!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:27 pm

gardon wrote:We had our bill a few weeks ago. 129 euro for a 192 sq mtr house.

Hi Gardon

Do you have the "Big Green Form" handy? If so about half way down is a table headed "Δ ΣΤΟΙΧΕΙΑ ΕΚΚΑΘΑΡΙΣΗΣ ΕΝΙΑΙΟΥ ΤΕΛΟΥΣ ΑΚΙΝΗΤΩΝ". If the house is owned by more than one person then there is one line per person. The third column is headed "ΦΟΡΟΛΟΓΗΤΕΑ ΑΞΙΑ" (Taxable Value?) with an amount in it and the fourth column is headed "ΑΦΟΡΟΛΟΓΗΤΟ ΠΟΣΟ" (Taxed Amount?) also with an amount in it. I am not sure what the difference is between these two titles but if you add the two amounts together you get exactly the figure in Table E at bottom right of the page headed "ΑΞΙΑ ΑΚΙΝΗΤΟΥ" (Property Value?). I am guessing, therefore, that column 3 is the objective value of the land while column 4 is the objective value of the house.

The sixth column of Table Δ is headed "ΣΥΝΟΛΙΚΟ Ε.Τ.ΑΚ. and contains the actual amount of tax due. In our case the sixth column is simply the third column multiplied by 0.1 %. I am guessing, therefore, that we are only being taxed on the value of the land.

I would be interested to know if yours is calculated in the same way and if you are registered as tax resident. From the fact that you had such a high bill, I am guessing that you are NOT registered as tax resident.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”