Crete or south france?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
andreass

Crete or south france?

Postby andreass » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 am

Hello everyone!
We have been living almost for a year in Ammoudara, near Heraklion. We are a bit dissapointed about some stuff here and thinking maybe we shall move to south france or spain instead of this.
The living cost is almsot same, for the food, etc. Id love to explain of what things we were really confused and tired.

* too many albanians here, they are damn scary
* greeks are ussualy smile only if you are in their tavernas
* in the winter time, everything gets dirty
* quality of many services is very poor
etc...

maybe is because of Ammoudara?

filippos

Re: Crete or south france?

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:15 pm

andreass wrote: ....... maybe is because of Ammoudara?
Maybe it's because of you?

* My experience of Albanians is that they've done some excellent work for me during the last few years and none has been remotely scary.

* I think most Cretans are the friendliest people I have ever met. Most of my Greek friends and acquaintances smile as easily as they breathe. In my experience most people are friendly and generous. e.g This is the only country where, in a café, I have gone to pay for a coffee or other drink and been told that a total stranger has already paid. Walking round a small village for the first time I saw an old man sitting outside his house. He called me and insisted I shared the watermelon he was eating. I could give many more examples.

* What do you mean by "dirty"? In summer everywhere gets dusty and needs washing/cleaning frequently. At times, winter is far better as the rain washes everything for you. True, however the rain does wash mud on to roads in places. Where we live there's not much litter and that's usually worse in summer when tourists are here. The beaches don't get cleared of all the stuff that gets washed up from the sea but that would be an endless task.

* Some of the services are not the greatest but I regard most of those as "laid back" and that I can live with. The relaxed approach to life is one of the things that attracted me here. Many times service is brilliant. Just one example: I bought a self-assembly computer desk. The shop owner refused to let me take it as he hadn't put it together. Instead he followed me home [4Km], assembled the desk and refused any payment for doing it. On the other hand there was an occasion when I'd arranged for a plumber to come.

On the appointed day I phoned him about four hours after he'd promised to come and he said, "It's such a beautiful day and the sea is so calm I'm diving and spear fishing from my boat. The forecast is good for tomorrow, too so I'll come the next day." He was right, the weather was glorious. Again, many examples good/bad I could bore everyone with.

Maybe people respond to the way they are approached.

Wherever you go, be happy.

andreass

Postby andreass » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Crete is a very nice place, but im just worried about my area... Even greeks say that Ammoudara is a bad place o live.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:07 pm

When we first came to view properties in Crete we looked from Sitea to Chania EXCEPT Heraklion. I don't know Amoudara specifically but to me Heraklion is a big, dirty, noisy mess. I couldn't imagine why anyone would choose to live there. Otherwise I largely agree with Filippos' comments.

Warwick

crete4us

Postby crete4us » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:18 pm

Andreass, as the others have said Crete is a beautiful country with very friendly people. If you have chosen the wrong place to live then move, but not to another country, try another town or village, maybe not so touristy.
Why not come down to Sitia, have a look around the villages here. Quiet friendly people.
Come on give it a try - you've nothing to lose and everything to gain ! :wink:
One life - one dream - GO for it !!

latsida

Postby latsida » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:33 pm

If you do not like here then please go to where you are happy,and all the best
but perhaps not Spain
If I had a choice it would be the Maldives, but perhaps I would not get a permit

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:20 pm

Friends of ours have relocated to France from Crete, but only because of Grandchildren and the transport problems to UK off season.

Are you really sure you have picked the best area on the island to live in?
If you haven't yet bought it may be worth looking elsewhere in Crete before you take the plunge.

Kathleen

andreass

Postby andreass » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:06 am

how about agea pilageia?

kim

Re: Crete or south france?

Postby kim » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:12 pm

andreass wrote:Hello everyone!
We have been living almost for a year in Ammoudara, near Heraklion. We are a bit dissapointed about some stuff here and thinking maybe we shall move to south france or spain instead of this.
The living cost is almsot same, for the food, etc. Id love to explain of what things we were really confused and tired.

* too many albanians here, they are damn scary
* greeks are ussualy smile only if you are in their tavernas
* in the winter time, everything gets dirty
* quality of many services is very poor
etc...

maybe is because of Ammoudara?
Why not try Italy?

Return to “General Discussion & News”