Phone line

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moggieman

Phone line

Postby moggieman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 am

HOW do you get a phone mended here on Crete??????????

Our line has been dead since 27th December. The phone cable going into the box on the telegraph pole is out All i keep getting from the phone company is its your problem.

As i understand it the cables comming out of the box are down to us but NOT the cables comming in.

How do i even get someone to even COME and look?????

HELP REQUIRED.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:13 am

What you normally do is call 121 and report it. People working the phones are generally very good English speakers (or will put you through to someone who is if you ask them)
It might take a day or two but they will follow up on it. This has been my experience on several occasions on Akrotiri.

moggieman

phone line

Postby moggieman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Done that IT DONT WORK NOBODY COMES just a phone call
ITS YOUR PROBLEM

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Have you asked an electrician to check the problem? As far as I know the line coming from the box to your home is the responsibility of an electrician.
Living in Crete!!

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Done that IT DONT WORK NOBODY COMES just a phone call
ITS YOUR PROBLEM

There is no need to shout at me. I was just relating my experiences with OTE technical service in Chania. I had 3 occasions (in the past 8 or 9 years) where I lost my line and this was what happened to me.

Have you considered that they might have checked, found that the problem was at you end and let you know it by phone? Are you sure that they are wrong? Have you asked them? Do you shout at them or do you try to enroll their cooperation? Not all the OTE techs are very cooperative but I found that on the whole if you are polite they will try quite hard to help you.

moggieman

phone line

Postby moggieman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:27 am

SORRY Jean didnt mean to shout just so frustrated.

Had our end checked The wires on our end going into box are all connected. The ote wire from the top of pole are flapping in the wind.

No one from ote will come out and look at it they check there end (from exchange ) find the line is live and round we go again. Phone call to say its your problem.

I would connect the wires myself but there is about 30 coloured wires and ony about 4 actually connect.

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:14 am

Suggestion:

take a photo and take that into the OTE office. If you have a Greek speaking friend take them too.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:26 pm

For normal PSTN lines only two should be connected, not four. Not sure about ISDN.

Are there lots of coloured wires coming from the OTE end or going into your house? Normally there are only two wires coming from the OTE end. They should have about 48 V DC across them.

If the multiple pair cable is going into your house, it's not unknown for OTE to connect to the wrong two. Look behind the RJ11 socket and see which two are connected and make sure that the same coloured pair is connected to the two OTE wires.

Warwick

moggieman

phone line

Postby moggieman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 am

W H E E The power of livingincrete ote came out yesterday and at long last connected the wires. No one saw then and dont know if they did it in the dark.

Thanks for all the replys and to Jean SORRY AGAIN.

The next battle is now to get ote to refund the line payment paid.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:42 am

Congratulations and no need to keep apologizing.

Let us know how the refund went, I am curious about it. I guess that you'll try that in Chania?

andreass

Postby andreass » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:15 pm

just wanted to sa that i ve had a bad experience with OTE also.
You just have to get used to that quality of service.

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:41 pm

not quite the area of OTE that you are talking about but I have to say that the OTEnet adsl telephone support which used to be diabolically bad has, in my experience, improved dramatically over the last 3 or 4 months at least.

At one time you used to get the ring around being told to contact a different number until it eventually ended back at the number you first tried to call. On the last 3 or 4 contacts with them they have been quick sharp and straight to the point first time. Nice change, lets hope it stays that way.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:35 pm

None of my Greek friends will use OTE/OTENET "because of their execrable service." Personally I have never had a complaint with them. Our first experience was the engineer, who came to install our first phone in Greece, brought us a bag of tyropita that his wife had just baked. When I first changed from dial-up to ADSL I had an engineer come to the house hand delivered the modem and installed it even though we had rejected this option. Never had a problem with them.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”