Dogs on the ferry

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
andheath

Dogs on the ferry

Postby andheath » Tue May 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Hi everyone

Looking for a bit of experience from those that have. We are planning to drive to Crete with two dogs, using the Venice - Patras ferry route. Sorry if this is asking the obvious but if it is I am missing the detail somewhere. As I understand it the crossing takes approx. 20 hours, how does the whole dog thing work? Can you take the dogs in your cabin? Can you exercise the dogs? My dogs will need to go (to be polite) in 20 hours how does that work?

Any help, tips, advice really appreciated and please don't spare the detail. Stuff like this is more important to my relationship than all the mundane finance, paperwork, property stuff, etc.

Many thanks
Andy

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 15, 2007 11:12 pm

Not sure about the Venice route but I've been told that Anek ferries from Ancona to Patra and Pireas to Crete are very "dog friendly", allowing dogs into cabins, etc. Unfortunately, so far as I know, Anek do not sail to/from Venice.

filippos.

andheath

Postby andheath » Tue May 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Thanks filippos.

I could do the Ancona route just as easy but in Carols' book (page 103 para.2) it clearly states that ANEK do not allow dogs into cabins which is the main reason I was going to book with Minoan Line. I just can't get that, how can you leave dogs in a car on the car deck for 20 hours???

I do really need up to date first hand experience from Crete Dog Ferry Travelers.

Also, the whole trip Scotland - Crete with dogs advice is very very welcome, suggested pet friendly stop-overs. Good experiences, things or places to avoid, etc, etc.

Andy

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed May 16, 2007 6:39 am

Andy, I'm sure Carol will be right and sorry if I misled you (maybe regs have changed; maybe it was a senior moment). Despite age and memory loss, I know that I've read somewhere that the company is animal friendly. If not allowing dogs into cabins I'm pretty sure they have kennels and allow owners to walk their pets.

You could always try the horse's mouth. Anek have what looks like a shiny new web site and a page full of contact info, including e-mail, so it might be worth asking exactly what they offer.

http://www.anek.gr/english/etc/contact.html

We've never sailed with Minoan so can't comment but we've been several times with ANEK and have always found the boats clean, comfortable and with excellent facilities (except one trip back from Pireas on what I think was the oldest, smallest boat in the fleet. Getting on/off the car deck was like driving on a narrow spiral staircase).

On a more general note I've found the michelin website very helpful in route planning for travel across Europe.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/Driving_directions

If you click Show/hide stopovers you can enter chosen intermediate places if you want to go somewhere particular and under route type there are various choices - recommended, shortest etc. and various other options - avoiding tolls etc.

If you request the complete route first you can then break it down into shorter sections (as short as a few miles/kms if you wish) and vary the route as much as you like. You can also print out detailed directions with distances/estimated times/costs etc and they're even pretty good detailing any current roadworks.

Enjoy the trip.

filippos.

P.S. I'm NOT an agent for ANEK.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 16, 2007 12:37 pm

I cannot comment on a particular ferry line or a particular route but many of the ferries we have used have kennels on the top deck. They are certainly not left in the car. I believe the owners can visit the kennels and take the dogs out onto the deck. Dogs are usually allowed in public areas so the dog would only be left in the kennel when you are in your cabin. I would check directly with the ferry line you intend to use for the route you prefer. Obviously different ships might have different capabilities.

I am not sure but I think Filippos may be remembering a post where someone said they had been allowed to take their small dog in a cabin as an exception when the boat was pretty empty. I could be wrong. I can assure you my age and deteriorating memory equal his.

Warwick

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun May 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Thanks Fillipos, appreciate the links, the viamichelin site is fantastic. I had thought about getting a satnav purely for the drive but i am now not going to bother.

Thanks Warrick. You are right, having never done the trip it may seem a bit dim but I now see the dogs will be with us all the time and only in the deck kennels while we sleep.

The only thing I am yet to work out is the timing from when the ferry arrives Patras. Is it possible to make the ferry at Piraeus the same day or do you need a stopover on mainland Greece? Anybody with experience of this trip?

Many thanks

Andy

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 21, 2007 9:10 am

Patra to Pireas is a pretty easy drive on a good standard road (motorway for most of the way). It took us about half an hour to clear the port and town and a drive of about two hours until we hit the traffic approaching Pireas which took about another half an hour to negotiate.

The motorway is a toll road and the cost in '03 was less than €5. I don't suppose it's increased much.

Filippos.

Return to “General Discussion & News”