Water.How will Crete cope ?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paulh

Postby paulh » Mon May 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Filippos said
"I suspect other parts of the island will have their turn of mass development"

Cavo Sidero, 10sq mile complex, 7000 beds (and thats only the most obvious one). If it includes the planned golfing facilities (and thats what Minoan Group are all about) then other nearby areas will certainly be developed to give homes with an access to local golf.

edit just mapped out 10 sq miles roughly over Aperkronos. Kalives to Kokkino Horio (east west) then equally deep (south) as far as Vamos.
Its quite a size.

Remember as well that this is all aimed at the "high income bracket" punter which will tend to push prices up across the board.

Bringing it back to the original topic, water, I will be interested to see how they feed the above complex, surely it must be desalination.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Tue May 22, 2007 5:31 pm

andheath wrote:I keep picking up East/West undertones. Am I imagining things or is there some underlying hostility that everyone is just too (ex-pat Brit) polite to get out in the open.

Andy

I am often accused of starting this "east vs west" hostility. Sadly this is not the case. I did, however, respond to provocation from those who shall be nameless who keep referring to the west as "the posh end". I simply put them straight.

Back to the water situation. I have now found my last bill, shock, horror, water costs more in the east!

We pay 41 cents per cu.m for the first 60 cu.m. The next 40 cu.m costs 52 cents and anything over 100 cu.m. costs 97 cents per cu.m.

I console myself with the fact that ours must be superior water!

John

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Tue May 22, 2007 5:58 pm

Thank heavens we've only got agricultural water - which is OK for showers etc. 45,000 litres costs 10 (TEN) euro. Which I make €0.222 per cu.m.

That third filter people mentioned must really be something special!

Drinking water is free from the spiring at Zou.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:I did, however, respond to provocation from those who shall be nameless who keep referring to the west as "the posh end". I simply put them straight.

Be a devil, John (or a bigger one than usual) - name names.

Filippos.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Tue May 22, 2007 6:46 pm

filippos wrote:
Retired in Crete wrote:I did, however, respond to provocation from those who shall be nameless who keep referring to the west as "the posh end". I simply put them straight.

Be a devil, John (or a bigger one than usual) - name names.

Filippos.

I do hope that you are not trying to wind John up here Filippos ?

Sorry I will re-phrase that. You are trying to wind John up :roll: Ken.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue May 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Bringing it back to the original topic, water, I will be interested to see how they feed the above complex, surely it must be desalination.

Here's your answer Paul, from the Athens News 9th March :

" Regarding water supplies, a subject much scrutinised by environmentalists due to the use of vast quantities of water needed for golf courses, sea water is the basis for Cavo Sidero. Water from a clean well at the sea's edge is to be used, and we will have a desalination plant to clean this water, which will be used for irrigation and all purposes except for drinking.

Those against the complex were initially concerned that features such as golf courses would use water from the mains, but this is not the case at all, according to Minoan. But some environmentalists object to the use of sea water, claiming that disposal of the salt can cause damage to the marine environment.

"We have looked very intensely at these issues and will therefore discharge the excess salt on the east side of the peninsula where there is no seaweed or other vegetation," Timothy Hill, the project's operational manager said. "An exhaustive study was undertaken of local tidal flows, and our diffusion system will emit salty water at only a very marginally higher level than other water. What's more, the studies show the concentration will be quickly defused," he said.

"We also have our engineers working closely with the local municipality to make general improvements for the whole area with regard to water supplies," Hill added.

It took Minoan more than a year and a half to first prepare the environmental impact study, which was submitted some two years ago. Even the study is the biggest ever of its kind submitted in Greece. It is 3,000 pages long, includes over 600 maps, and each copy weighs more than 70 kilos - perhaps an environmental issue in itself. "

Building is supposed to start in May ( has it? ?) but there is a chance that environmentalists may lodge an appeal.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 22, 2007 8:04 pm

Kenny wrote:You are trying to wind John up Ken.

Please, don't put your own interpretation on my words which I try to use precisely. As stated, I'm trying to persuade him to name names.

Filippos.

Wayne d

Postby Wayne d » Tue May 22, 2007 8:50 pm

paulh wrote:Filippos said
"I suspect other parts of the island will have their turn of mass development"

Cavo Sidero, 10sq mile complex, 7000 beds (and thats only the most obvious one). If it includes the planned golfing facilities (and thats what Minoan Group are all about) then other nearby areas will certainly be developed to give homes with an access to local golf.

edit just mapped out 10 sq miles roughly over Aperkronos. Kalives to Kokkino Horio (east west) then equally deep (south) as far as Vamos.
Its quite a size.

Remember as well that this is all aimed at the "high income bracket" punter which will tend to push prices up across the board.

All that lot for just one golf course!!!!!!

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue May 22, 2007 9:08 pm

ah yes but par for the round will be 374

Wayne d

Postby Wayne d » Tue May 22, 2007 9:37 pm

paulh wrote:ah yes but par for the round will be 374

Sounds very Spanish. Will this herald EasyJet et al coming over I wonder?

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Wayne d wrote:Sounds very Spanish. Will this herald EasyJet et al coming over I wonder?

It is proposed that the complex will be open all year round so, yes, we should be getting direct flights all year round as well. Remember that it is not just a golf course but 7,000 plus houses, hotels, and a conference centre as well as the golf course.

John

Wayne d

Postby Wayne d » Tue May 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:
Wayne d wrote:Sounds very Spanish. Will this herald EasyJet et al coming over I wonder?

It is proposed that the complex will be open all year round so, yes, we should be getting direct flights all year round as well. Remember that it is not just a golf course but 7,000 plus houses, hotels, and a conference centre as well as the golf course.

John

Thanks John
That sliding scale you mentioned in relation to water charges might become a ski slope.
Sourcing materials for that development will surely make the cost of such materials go sky-high for everyone else. If much of it isn't impored they will clean the island out of concrete etc.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Tue May 22, 2007 10:54 pm

I think that most building materials, cement, tiles etc are imported anyway so I doubt that the market price will rise. The Cretan beaches may be a bit short of shingle though.

Rome was not built in a day and neither will this complex, I forget the time scale but it will be a few years before it is completed, and then it will be late!

Personally I am all for it. It will bring work to an area which desparately needs it and will extend the tourist season for the surrounding area.

John

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 22, 2007 11:07 pm

paulh wrote:...Cavo Sidero, 10sq mile complex, 7000 beds (and thats only the most obvious one). If it includes the planned golfing facilities (and thats what Minoan Group are all about) then other nearby areas will certainly be developed to give homes with an access to local golf...

I am sure you must have got this wrong, Paul. According to my map Cavo Sidero is in the east of Crete and, as we all know, the east of Crete is completely unspoiled, especially the part between Hersonisos and Stalis.

Warwick

PS As far as I know the reference to the "West End" of the island being the "posh end" was first made by my wife posting as Jeana on another forum. I am sure anybody who has heard of London will mange to work out where the concept came from.

andheath

Postby andheath » Wed May 23, 2007 12:11 am

Absolutely love it. So glad I asked the East / West question. The water thing is interesting but the passion roused when you press the right button is just fantastic. Great read, I have the East just ahead on points.

Now off to save a huge amount of water with friends. :D

Thanks guys

Return to “General Discussion & News”