Water.How will Crete cope ?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
baccybabs

Postby baccybabs » Sun May 20, 2007 7:23 am

Well, its chucking it down here now and over the last few days we could have done with a boat to get us about !!! :? (Kolymbari area)

margarita

Postby margarita » Sun May 20, 2007 8:10 am

Unlucky, BB. Near Kalyves it's brilliant sunshine but a bit of cloud that seems to be coming from your direction. We had steady rain most of Friday night and yesterday 'til about four-ish.

We hope it's clear at about 7 this evening. 'Er Indoors wants to go to tonight's party to launch a new hair/beauty salon opening in Kalyves. The premises are not huge so it will need to spread into the street. Rain would put a dampener on the fun. Mind you, if it ruined everyone's hair it might get the business off to a flying start tomorrow.

Filippos.

Sorry folks, I'm using Margarita's ('Er Indoors) computer which logs in automatically in her name, naturally enough, and I forgot to log out and log in again in my name. Late night, fuddled brain.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun May 20, 2007 10:52 am

"We had steady rain most of Friday night and yesterday 'til about four-ish. "

yes didn't we! 20 hours of rain after a certain person had said at around 8pm on Friday

"Ah, but it's raining now.**

Filippos.

** But not much."

the old gods of Greece are alive, well, still listening and as capricious as ever

Wayne d

Postby Wayne d » Sun May 20, 2007 1:28 pm

Just read the tread with some interest. I know there has been a great deal of building on certain parts of the island over recent years, but in the Winter many properties are empty, and therefore don't impact on water useage.
MY question is; When the snow is melting etc. providing water in dryer times, and when these properties are used, is there much work to harness this water before it runs into the sea? This is not a flippant dig at anyone, it is a genuine quest for knowledge. :?:

Lets face it we can't manage it in the UK, where we leak out as much as we use almost. :(

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun May 20, 2007 2:39 pm

It's estimated that 70% of Crete's natural water is not harnessed. See news item here from Haniotika-nea 2004 http://www.livingincrete.net/newsarchive1.html (item 10). Not much has changed since then.

There is an article in yesterday's ekathimerini entitled "Gov’t unveils action plan for ‘tough summer’ ".
The agricultural minister claims that (in Greece) 46 infrastructure works have already been completed in a bid to mitigate water shortages and the loss of water through irrigation networks. Also that '26 million euros have already been set aside for desalination works so that scant water resources can be boosted. Seasonal staff have been hired to deal with likely problems.'

No specifics regarding the areas.. and how exactly will the extra seasonal staff avert water shortages ???
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 2007_83588

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sun May 20, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks for all your responses.Its all been very enlightening. Ken.

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Sun May 20, 2007 7:10 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of mains/tap water?

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun May 20, 2007 10:09 pm

€0.30 per cu. m.

Filippos.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Sun May 20, 2007 10:16 pm

I have tried to find our last water bill - without success.

However, in the east we have a sliding rate, the first so many cubic meters are one price and then the price per cu.m goes up in steps 'till it reaches more than double the initial price.

Maybe it's different in the west!

John

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun May 20, 2007 10:56 pm

I keep picking up East/West undertones. Am I imagining things or is there some underlying hostility that everyone is just too (ex-pat Brit) polite to get out in the open.

Go on ( I dare all) spill the beans. Trust me, living in the west of Scotland I can handle conflict, but it's nice to know the background.

Andy

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 21, 2007 9:04 am

It's just that John likes to stir up a bit of controversy. I think he started the East/West argument on another forum a couple of years ago and likes to perpetuate the joke. He's not a bad bloke, really, and will probably now post that he's a terrible man and means every detrimental word he's ever posted about the west and it's (foreign) inhabitants.

Filippos.

P.S. Good morning, John.

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon May 21, 2007 10:22 am

Its a bit like Yorkshire/Lancashire in a way

Its nothing and doesn't matter until someone says something, anything, even good morning.

Anyway coming from Yorkshire I don't really worry about it, theres no need. I leave that to those who aren't from Yorkshire.

:D :D :D

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:23 am

Having been brought up in the South East of Glasgow for 18 years before moving to the South East of Edinburgh (think my parents have a thing for the South East of Cities), I've seen the east/west divide first hand too!!
Living in Crete!!

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Mon May 21, 2007 3:00 pm

filippos wrote:It's just that John likes to stir up a bit of controversy.

What me? Never! I am just misunderstood!

Take the current thread. Filippos gave a price for water, I said how it was charged for where I am and, so that I was not seen to be contradicting Filippos, said it may be different in the west. (Adopting hurt expression) Even my good manners are misconstrued.

Would I ever post anything detrimental to my fellow countrymen in the west of Crete? Of course not! Judge for yourself:

http://members.explorecrete.com/index.p ... o+one+care\?

John

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 21, 2007 7:23 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:
filippos wrote:It's just that John likes to stir up a bit of controversy.

What me? Never! I am just misunderstood!
What, John? You? Misunderstood? Not by most of us.

... ... and, so that I was not seen to be contradicting Filippos,
And just when did not contradicting start?

Would I ever post anything detrimental to my fellow countrymen in the west of Crete?
Yes! And some of us, even those in the dreadful West, would agree with you. As an example, look here http://creteforyou.com/apokoronas/ for a fairly mild illustration of your comments on the other forum.

The pace of change has been tremendous. When we bought there were, maybe, two or three estate agents in Apokoronas none of which we found as they had no visible offices, no display boards, nothing. The relatively few properties that were for sale were renovation jobs and virtually no new builds. To find out about property for sale we were advised, "Go to the kafeneio and listen." Now, according to one of the agents we deal with there are more than seventy agents and developers in the area building and selling hundreds of properties.

I suspect other parts of the island will have their turn of mass development as the developers, having pushed land prices to ridiculous levels in some areas, start to search for cheaper land elsewhere. Either that or they'll need to find new locations with sea views where there's still room to build. Your time will come, John.

I haven't been to Lake Kournas recently so can't comment about that scene but, with a few exceptions (like Kournas) most of the concentrated building is taking place near the coast because everyone wants a sea view. We've put out house on the market (quick plug http://creteforyou.com/house_sale) and the first question every agent has asked has been, "Do you have a sea view?" followed by, "Do you have a pool?" (generally unappreciative of my stock answer, "Yes, that big salty one about 1Km that way") and then, "Oh, and where is the property?" To me that says everything about the priorities of most buyers.

Now, back to the subject of water, John, where all this started. If your water charges are on an escalating scale it suggests a price mechanism designed to curb usage which, in turn, suggests that your water authority is concerned about shortages. Where such a price mechanism is not used there is no concern about availability of supply - either because no problem exists or there is a potential problem and the authorities don't recognise it or don't care about it. Consumers don't seem worried. Where the infrastructure is OK people round here are quite profligate with the stuff.

My best suggestion for conservation is to take your showers with a friend.

Filippos.

Return to “General Discussion & News”