Furnished accommodation

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
lshall05

Furnished accommodation

Postby lshall05 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Can anyone tell me what Cretans (and other owners) class as furnished accommodation?

We have been told by someone that it is very basic (bed, sofa(s) and not much more). Does it include pots/pans/crockery etc or would we have to bring/buy our own?

Does it depend on the landlord/owner?

Thanks
Living in Crete!!

margarita

Postby margarita » Sun May 20, 2007 7:55 am

As elsewhere it probably depends on the landlord (and what rent you pay).

We looked at a place for friends last year and it had all the basic furniture in all rooms, beds, chests of drawers, tables, sofas, fridge etc., but, so far as I recall, no cooking utensils or cutlery.

If you need to buy pots, pans, crockery there are many small shops selling a huge range of stuff from cheap and adequate to bl***y expensive. If you're coming to Xania area I can point you to three we've used (all within about a 70m radius).

filippos.

Sorry folks, I'm using Margarita's ('Er Indoors) computer which logs in automatically in her name, naturally enough, and I forgot to log out and log in again in my name. Late night, fuddled brain.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun May 20, 2007 9:48 am

I'd agree with Margarita... errrr Filippos.... that it depends on the landlord, and most furnished places are very basically furnished. Some also do have basic kitchen equipment - crockery, pans etc. (but you still might want to buy your own!).

If you rent tourist accommodation long term in the winter months it's usually well furnished and equipped.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Sun May 20, 2007 11:00 am

Thanks for your responses.

I guess we'll probably take most of our kitchen stuff over with us when we come over (we're moving to Malia). We'll probably take a tourist apartment for the first couple of months to give us time to find something more permanent).

I suppose if we need more furniture we can always buy when we get over - some of our furniture here was a nightmare to build so I can imagine it'll be a nightmare to take down and rebuilt!!

Thanks

Lynn
Living in Crete!!

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun May 20, 2007 10:47 pm

I suppose it is all a question of economics. We have quotes from Pickfords and Britania to ship our belongings to Crete, both in the region of 5K £. It seems a lot of money but we know there is no way we could buy our stuff again here in the uk for that amount never mind in Crete

Andy

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 21, 2007 8:58 am

andheath wrote:... ... there is no way we could buy our stuff again here in the uk for that amount never mind in Crete
Andy
(My italics) You seem to be implying that Crete is expensive. In our experience, for similar quality, most things are cheaper, or about the same price, here. I agree, though, that you'd be hard pressed to buy a houseful of stuff for £5k in either place.

Before we moved here we were ruthless, giving away stuff to relatives, friends, charity shops making endless trips to the tip etc., etc., until ewe were left with essentials we couldn't possibly live without. Five years on we still have unopened boxes.

Filippos.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:13 am

We moved from Scotland to London last year and we still have lots of unpacked boxes (due to lack of storage in new builds)!

We are going to be ruthless and get rid of a lot of stuff before we move next year, however, we've been told that we should bring books (to read in the winter months), bedding and towels (because the quality is not as good - no idea if this is true or not).

We will have to make the decision of whether we are going to rent a furnished or unfurnished property before we move over. We've been quoted almost £5,000 for a Luton Van full but that's door to door and would be for most of our furniture (well, the stuff that won't fall to bits if we try to dismantle it)!
Living in Crete!!

Nita

Postby Nita » Mon May 21, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi Lynn, we meet again, and yes it's nice to meet you too :D

Yes it is true, bedding and towels are not good quality here. I have on most trips back to the UK been asked to buy what I can for my friends here, including clothes and shoes.

As far as furniture and electrical goods are concerned I have found them all to be reasonably priced here, and often cheaper than the UK, especially if you shop around and, of course, haggle over the price if your buying more than one item. Additionally I have never been charged (yet, I know there's always a first time) for delivery - unheard of back home.

And yes, do bring books, videos, dvd's etc., with you, things around here can get very quiet in the winter months unless, like me, you end up helping with the olive harvest in which case all you will want to do at the end of the day is eat, shower and sleep - not always in that order!

Good luck.
Nita

Return to “General Discussion & News”