Veterinarian in the Kissamos/Kastelli area?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
SatCure
Posts: 1945
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: Apokoronas

Postby SatCure » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:31 am

andheath wrote:more than 2000 years of mankind's breading for a purpose.

Ah, yummy. I like to bread my fish before cooking. :)

We used to have 3 cats but one had to be planted last year, because it had a tumour. I'm hoping it (the cat) doesn't sprout. We'll leave the other two with our son when we move to Crete. They'll probably live longer because he can't afford the vet's euthanasia fees. There again, he probably can't afford their special diet food.

Interestingly, I watched a programme this evening about how the Russians tested their rockets manned by dogs. Seems a hellish expensive way to kill a dog!

(Yeah, I'm sick, sick sick.) :oops:

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:55 am

MartinP wrote:(Yeah, I'm sick, sick sick.) :oops:


No you are not - That was bl**dy funny! I cannot stop laughing.

John

The Adjectival LFB
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: In a cool, dry place.

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:09 am

MartinP wrote:
andheath wrote:more than 2000 years of mankind's breading for a purpose.

Ah, yummy. I like to bread my fish before cooking. :)



I just knew that one was coming!


MartinP wrote:Interestingly, I watched a programme this evening about how the Russians tested their rockets manned by dogs. Seems a hellish expensive way to kill a dog!



No doubt Kilkis will be along soon!



Regards,LFB.
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Clio
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Postby Clio » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 am

Andheath wrote:


Please do not confuse wild animals with the animals that result from more than 2000 years of mankind's breading for a purpose.


I’ll try to stop doing that if you stop confusing animals with human beings.

SatCure
Posts: 1945
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: Apokoronas

Postby SatCure » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Our cats are definitely not human. I've observed them over a lot of years and their responses are all automated. They are pre-programmed for self-preservation and obtaining food. If they learn that a certain action produces food, they repeat it. If they learn that another action results in a beating, they do it surreptitiously and cower if observed!

But there is very little real intelligence. I have tried repeatedly to show our cats that it's much easier to get food from the bottom of a tin by raking with a paw than by sticking their heads in. They simply don't get it. They will starve before they will put a paw into a tin.

filippos
Posts: 5716
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves
Contact:

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Dunno what the world's coming to, Martin. You've actually made me grin .................................. twice.



P.S. "Dunno" was deliberate.

Kilkis
Posts: 11083
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:16 pm

The point is that everything we do that alters the world or the lives of animals in it could be described as "playing God". For example, over history, people have died of many diseases. We developed medicines to prevent that happening. Were we playing God? Should we have not developed those cures? Is treating a cat with Frontline to stop it getting ticks and fleas or vaccinating it against feline diseases not playing god but neutering it is? I could post pages of such examples.

As I said before, I fully expect people to have different opinions. It would be a strange world if we didn't. I still maintain, however, that to argue that your point of view is correct because the other point of view is "Playing God" is "Puerile and Crass". I will make one exception. If you are a Jehovah's Witness then you have a deeply held religious belief that all such activities are "Playing God" and you are prepared to die for that belief. I wouldn't agree with your belief but in that case I would suggest that you are entitled to use the "Playing God" argument.

Warwick

pinch
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:57 pm
Location: Souda

Postby pinch » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 pm

BRAVO!!!!

andheath
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Sitia - Stay Away - Go West

Postby andheath » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 am

RIC - Get a life, please.

MartinP - Thank you for injecting humour.

Kilkis - I wish I could make a point like you do.

Clio - "Companion animals" look it up.

LIC - The best thread for a long time.............

ALFB - you never answered the question, too busy playing God?
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

andheath
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Sitia - Stay Away - Go West

Postby andheath » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:32 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8147566.stm

sneaky buggers, I take it all back.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

paulh
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:13 pm
Location: Akrotiri

Postby paulh » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 am

Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods.
Cats have never forgotten this

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm

andheath wrote:
ALFB - you never answered the question, too busy playing God?


Hey "Kindred Spirit",
You never answered mine either.

John

andheath
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Sitia - Stay Away - Go West

Postby andheath » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I am not sure what your question was.

This is mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgIsMGZkYfc

The people in this town know who did this. Will anything happen to them?
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ann McCallum and 8 guests