Residence Certificate

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Residence Certificate

Postby Carolina » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:00 pm

It seems that Greece is tightening up on Residence Certificates, perhaps because of the introduction of a number of East European countries into the EU.
For example it is now compulsory to have a residence certificate to register with IKA, in the case of the working person, to pay national insurance contributions. This was never the case before this year, but now I cannot re-start seasonal contributions to IKA without one.

I also noticed a great change in the attitude of the police since 2001 when I obtained my last permit. In 2001 the police were very blase about my applying for a permit - stating that I didn't need one as we are all in the EU. Last week when I went to apply for a new one, for the purpose of paying IKA contributions, the policeman (the same one) was very specific in saying that the law says EU citizens are entitled to live here freely for up to three months only, after which they must apply for a residence certificate. It is then up to the authorities as to whether or not they issue you with one.
Last edited by Carolina on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

allan

Postby allan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:04 pm

This is getting all very confusing (as usuall)

I know you have your own IKA Carolina because you work and pay the stamps, but, because you are married to a Greek National why would you need a residence certificate?

Should I have to get one as well being married to a Greek, seems daft to me when we are both taxed together, I am on her IKA dependant book along with her daughter.

PM me if you want.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Sorry Allan, I'm trying not to make it confusing (difficult!).

Even though I'm married to a Greek I do not have Greek citizenship as I have not applied for it. So I am a British citizen and my ID is a British passport and not a Greek ID card.

I therefore need to produce a Residence Certificate, to support my passport, for certain procedures.

As I said above, this is new to me and they seem to be getting hotter on this and introducing it for procedures that previously did not require one. I was indeed surprised and shocked when IKA asked for a residence certificate this year to log my contributions - this is the first time since 1988 that I have had to produce one for IKA!

The answer to your question "should you get one" is, officially, 'yes'. Whether or not you'll ever be asked to produce it, I don't know!

allan

Postby allan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Not that you were making it difficult Carolina just the system (again)

Maybe I shall wait till I am asked for my Residence Certificate and see what happens. after all it only takes 2 days/weeks/months to get one??

:) :) :)

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:28 pm

http://www.helleniccomserve.com/residen ... citiz.html

The funny thing is I have been here [Greece] 9 years and never had one. I work, pay taxes, had tax rebates, pay IKA and have used IKA for an operation and some medical equipment I need.

I own property and a motorcycle all in my name only.

The only time I was ever asked for one was when I wanted to do driving lessons. The police wouldn't issue it as I am an EU citizen. So I never did driving lessons.

So who knows :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Could you clarify Carol?

1 Has your local police station heard of the Presidential Decree of 2007 that replaced the renewable residence permit by a non-renewable residence certificate (veveosi eggrafis)?

2 Have they the correct paperwork to issue the new certificate?

3 Did you manage to get one?

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Hi Warwick,

1) Yes they have.

2) Yes they have. They have two types of resident certificate and they issue one or the other depending on your status:
a) Βεβαίωση εγγραφής πολιτών Ε.Ε.
b) Eγγραφο πιστοποίησης μόνιμης διαμονής πολίτη Ε.Ε

I've linked the above to the corresponding pages on the Europa website.

3) Yes! I collected it this morning from Souda police.
Mine is type b above, and lasts 'forever' I was told. A colleague also had one issued to her this week at the Alikianos police station, a type a above, and this is 'open ended'.

It actually looks much like the old residence permit, same size and made of flimsy card.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:50 pm

So technically this is my position:

1 I am still legally employed by the company in Kilkis.
2 My company pays my tax and my IKA. They issue the verification certificate of tax and IKA paid each year.
3 I have an old style residence permit that is still within its 5 year validity.

Do you believe that I need to get one of the new type (a) certificates above? If I don't what will happen?

Jean is a UK pensioner with both UK State and occupational pensions. She has IKA under an E121 form from the UK. She also has an old style residence permit that is still within its 5 year validity. Do you believe that she needs to get a new type (b) certificate. If she doesn't what will happen?

Sorry to bug you.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Technically, I believe that if you have a current old-style Residence Permit it is valid until it expires. When it expires you will then be issued with a Residence Certificate.

This is in fact what my colleague was told by Alikianios police station, as her residence permit was still in date, however the accountant insisted that she needed the 'vevaiosi engrafis' to register for IKA. Telephone calls ensued between said police station with the accountant and her employer, and in the end the police issued her a vevaiosi engrafis after being pressured (and I assume they kept her old residence permit. The police in Souda kept my old out-of-date one).

Note that we are seasonal workers, so every October we are officially 'laid off' and then re-hired at the start of each season, which means a new application is sent to IKA each year. I assume you are legally employed as a long term permanent worker, Warwick and not re-hired each year? In which case IKA have no need to ask for updated credentials to re-register you each year.

Therefore, to answer your questions directly, I believe that neither you or Jean need to get a new type certificate until your current permits expire, but I have no idea what could happen!

(I've edited my first post above to read IKA seasonal contributions as I can see where it may have caused confusion)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:11 am

Yep. I'm permanent and full time 52 weeks per year.

Many thanks for the info.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:15 pm

For the record, in order to get the άδεια διαμονής from the police station at Vamos, we had to each provide passport style photos, photocopy of passport and photocopy of our health insurance certificate (or of the European Health Insurance Card). We took all sorts of house deeds etc. but that's all they required. This was for buying a car. (Yes, we know that in theory it's not needed but we just go with the flow!)

Oh, and firstly you have to collect a form for each person from the police station, complete it, then phone (28250 22218 for Vamos police) to make an appointment. Our appointment is for Friday so maybe that's the only day they do permits. It seems to be the day for paying bills in Vamos, too!

(Thanks for the Greek spelling correction.)

Later.
We needed TWO photocopies of everything, including the form that we had to complete. We also needed to take our original passports and UK Health Insurance cards. We had to state that we were earning or had a UK pension.

You can't take too many documents!
Last edited by SatCure on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Anyone renewing an old type permit you will need to take that, too, and we had to produce two copies of the documents listed.

We're not 100% sure why but suspect they wanted to attach current information to their copies of both old and new permits.

katowales

Postby katowales » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:24 pm

We got our Residence Permits from Spili police station in April (we first went on the wrong day - only on a Friday apparently!).

This was to buy a car amongst other things. We were asked for passport style photos (2), passports that were copied there in the station (despite preparing our own photocopies, in colour beforehand). They were not interested in health insurance or EHIC (although this was on the official list of required documents), but did want a photocopy of our bank book... showing we had funds to support ourselves

Yes we took all and sundry of documents.. tax forms, deeds etc. They did take a note of our tax numbers. The guy (not a police officer, but he appeared to be a specially designated official) was very helpful, filled all the forms for us and with a short wait we went away with our brand new Residence Permits in our hands. Not too painful.

gardon

Postby gardon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Same for us in Kantonos, all very helpful and did not ask for bank book. I dont know if this was because we were renewing rather than getting one from scratch. We did have to go back in a few days for it but the guy was very helpful.

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:10 am

gardon wrote:Same for us in Kantonos, all very helpful and did not ask for bank book. I dont know if this was because we were renewing rather than getting one from scratch. We did have to go back in a few days for it but the guy was very helpful.

Yeah we had same experience there too with Georgos. Seems that since the rules changed on this, they have become far more helpful.

As usual, though, KEP was a complete waste of time. We went there first to find out what we needed for the new style reidence permit and they printed out a list for us which inclused all sorts of stuff (eg birth certificates - originals + translated into Greek + photocopies).

This was received in the police station with a bemused sigh. He then went through the list with a red pen. lol

Return to “General Discussion & News”