Residence Certificate

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:57 am

As usual, though, KEP was a complete waste of time. We went there first to find out what we needed for the new style reidence permit and they printed out a list for us which inclused all sorts of stuff (eg birth certificates - originals + translated into Greek + photocopies).

A couple of points. We have found KEP to be very useful and it's sad if you have bad experiences with them. Mind you, we use the one next to the law courts in Chania, rather than the local one. They have been very helpful in getting new IKA booklets (to save the long queue) and Greek driving licences and renewals.

As to resident's permit, we have been here 12 years now and because of passport differences, the expiry date for my wife's was before mine. She now has the permanent one. My old Permit is still valid and we are in the throes of using it to buy a new car. Seems to be working OK (the system, as well as the car!).

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:00 am

bobscott wrote:They have been very helpful in getting new IKA booklets (to save the long queue) and Greek driving licences and renewals.

My British driving license is just about to run out, so I need to get a Greek one. What did you need to do this and can I just go to KEP and get it all done?

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:09 am

Have a look for Warwick's previous postings about this; he gives chapter and verse on the procedure.

Just found it here, halfway down the page.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:12 pm

A friend in the next village has just done this and our local KEP office did everything for him. Since he was over 65, they gave him a list of approved doctors, ophthalmologists and lawyers where he could get his medical and eye tests done and his UK licence translated. They helped fill in the application and took all the paperwork to the relevant office. Very very helpful indeed.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Rethymno KEP were also helpful, but not quite so ready to do all the legwork, and the process seemed to involve a lot of yomping around town. (This was some years back).

It was necessary to go to the Bank of Greece to buy a παράβολο with which to pay the examining doctor. In case you don’t know, this is a kind of voucher whereby you can purchase goods, services without actual cash changing hands. You used to need one for KTEO which you bought from the Tax Office or from a government–approved, authorised, licensed issuer. In the Rethymno case, this was the Shell petrol station opposite, which was allowed to charge 10 euros on top of the 50€ fee, for the convenience. One day this concession was abruptly removed from the garage, and went instead to a scruffy kantina which suddenly opened next door to KTEO, kept the παράβολα on the counter with the ketchup, and charged 20€ more than the face value. You understand of course that these vouchers are an excellent system designed to stamp out backhanders and profiteering!

I digress. I can’t remember the cost of the παράβολο for the doc, but it was no less than 30€ and may have been 50€. We were pointed in the direction of one particular medic, and called at his practice. I explained to the receptionist what we wanted, and handed over form and παράβολο. She turned to the Named Driver. “Good morning Mr Driver. And how are you? Are you well?”

“Very well, thank you”, replied. ND. “That’s good!” cried the receptionist, disappearing into the doctor’s office and returning instantly with the stamped form vouching for ND’s perfect health.

Not only did money not change hands – not even a glance between doctor and driver!

Of course I’m sure it’s all much more organised and corruption-proof these days…..
Last edited by Clio on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Clio wrote:“Very well, thank you”, replied. ND. “That’s good!” cried the receptionist, disappearing into the doctor’s office and returning instantly with the stamped form vouching for ND’s perfect health..........................
Of course I’m sure it’s all much more organised and corruption-proof these days…..

Earlier this year I was told I had to see a "head doctor" and was told where to go. The conversation went like this:

HD: "Good morning, how are you?"
Me: "Fine" as I handed the form I had been given to him.
HD: "Where do you live"
Me: I told him where I lived.
HD "My mother lives in that village, do you like it there?
Me: I love it!
HD: This will cost 50 Euros.
I handed him the money which he folded and put in his trouser pocket.
HD then signed a paper and handed it to me.
Me "Thank you" and I left his office

The paper was a certificate which stated that I was of sound mind, did not suffer from schizophrenia or any other mental condition, I was not a drug addict and, in his opinion, I was a fit person to own a gun.

Bureaucracy in Crete - great!

John

Return to “General Discussion & News”