Furniture and Lighting

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Manojmx5

Furniture and Lighting

Postby Manojmx5 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Can anyone help me out by advising me on some good furniture and lighting shops in Crete that are reasonably priced.
Manojmx5

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 pm

help us to help you

what part of Crete and what sort of styles?

Are we talking beds, armchairs cupboards or tables?

Are you furnishing a complete house or just odd bits?

do you regard "flat pack" as good?

your question is a bit lacking on information

Manojmx5

Furniture and Lighting

Postby Manojmx5 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 pm

We are in Palialoni.

We've sorted out the beds. Really what we are looking for is sofas and lights for the lounge, dining area, bedrooms, kitchen and maybe some other parts of the house.

Don't really want flat packed.

It is stone house. We are quite choosey so are looking for nice things that will suit a stone house.

Hope this provide a bit more info
Manojmx5

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 pm

"Palialoni"

That's a new one on me. Give us a clue. Where is it near?

It's worth noting that names recur repeatedly all over Greece so, unless it is somewhere major and so instantly recognisable, it is worth saying which Nomos it is in or which big city it is near.

Warwick

Manojmx5

Postby Manojmx5 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:20 pm

As you can tell I am learning as I go along.

Nearest places are Vamos and Kefalas
Manojmx5

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 pm

OK. Don't really know that side but if you are coming into Chania there are lots of lighting shops.

Personally I like the one close to Lidl/Carrefour. Come off the National Highway at the Mournies junction and head towards Chania past Lidl and Carrefour. At the next traffic lights turn left. The shop is the first one on the left hand side after the corner. Good prices and VERY nice staff.

Close to the Mournies junction there is also a furniture shop called Simple City. After you come off the junction turn sharp right back on yourself at the end of the Garden Centre. They sell furniture including sofas. You could look in here before going down to the lighting shop.

Alternatively go past the Mournies junction to the Omalos junction off the National Highway and turn right towards Chania. About halfway between the junction and the next traffic lights there is a big lighting shop on the right hand side. Lots of choice but not easy to get served. Twenty staff and two customers and they are too busy.

Or go past that one to the traffic lights and follow towards Chania. Another big lighting shop on the right hand side at the next traffic lights. Again good choice but a little pricey.

If you turn left off the Omalos junction towards Omalos and follow this road for a few km there is a big furniture shop on the left hand side. Big Divan Divani sign outside. Lots of choice and very wide range of prices, e.g. from 1,200 Euro for two big couches up to 5,000 Euro for one chair. Effectively they make them how you want. Choose a design and then choose the material from dozens of swatch books.

Also there are both furniture shops and lighting shops on Souda road out of Chania but that is all dug up again at present so a bit difficult to negotiate.

Warwick

Warwick

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:06 am

We also live in Palailoni. Are you actually here yet? Where exactly are you?There are least seven other houses with permanent residents from Britain here, so walk around and take advantage of the experience and info on your doorstep.

For lighting try the Glass Factory down the hill just before the T-junction to Kokkino Chorio. Turn left at that junction and there is a modern furniture store, CFS, on the left after 100 metres.

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 am

I should add that the Glass Factory is good (and not cheap)for decorative and feature lighting indoors. For outdoor and more modern lighting there are a couple of shops in Kalives on the road out to the Highway.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Palailonio is between Drapanos and Kefalas in Apokoronas district of Xania.

We're moving to Kefalas in September so adding to the Brit population (sorry). However, we are keen to learn to speak the language better.

Visited the glass factory a few weeks ago. It is not cheap, as Brian says.

If you drive to Rethymnon on the Nat Highway and take the exit after the row of car dealers (Toyota etc. on the parallel side road on your left), you'll see Lidl over to the left. Opposite it is a large warehouse type building which is an iron mongers/ tool supplier and also stocks some household stuff upstairs. Interesting to look around and you can pick up stuff at Lidl while you are there.

So turn left off the slip road (coming from Xania direction - I think there's a Honda showroom on your right) and battle your way over the top of the Highway towards Lidl. It's a crazy junction but just take it slowly.
Last edited by SatCure on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manojmx5

Furniture and Lighting

Postby Manojmx5 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi All.

Thank you for all the info that you guys have sent. It will be really useful. We are looking forward to exploring.

Thanks again
Manojmx5

Manojmx5

Pool Maintenance

Postby Manojmx5 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Does anyone now of a reliable person or company who are competatively priced for doing pool maintenance ?

We are situated in Palialoni which is between Drapanos and Kefalas
Manojmx5

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:58 am

I think you'll find you're living in Παλαιλώνι, usually Anglicised as Paleloni - at least, it is on my maps.

rainbowmir

Re: Pool Maintenance

Postby rainbowmir » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Manojmx5 wrote:Does anyone now of a reliable person or company who are competatively priced for doing pool maintenance ?

We are situated in Palialoni which is between Drapanos and Kefalas

Yes - Jane +30 6946994595
Last edited by rainbowmir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manojmx5

Pool Maintenance

Postby Manojmx5 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi Miriam.

Many thanks for your reply.

Manoj
Manojmx5

Return to “General Discussion & News”