Engage brain before speaking

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Engage brain before speaking

Postby Carolina » Fri May 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Now the title may be misleading, as I'm not going to have a pop at anyone :lol:

My Greek is not perfect but after 20 odd years in Greece I speak fluently, I even find myself thinking in Greek, while many times when I'm speaking English I have trouble coming up with an English word or phrase when the Greek one seems more relevant - you know, Gringlish.
But I've always noticed that when I'm tired I slip up on Greek words - can't find the right word, or can't get my tongue around it. Sometimes when I'm really tired I can hardly string two words together in Greek, literally I just can't pronounce them, and end up stopping mid sentence and speaking in English - to the amusement (or frustration) of some.

Is this normal ?? Well it could be - I've just read about the man trying to beat the world record for sleep deprivation (which stands at 11 days!!!) and he's now into his 8th day without sleep. The only physical sympton he has noticed is his speech becoming incomprehensible at times.

I know the feeling!

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Fri May 25, 2007 3:22 pm

Well Carolina, it sounds completely normal to me. When I'm tired I lose the ability to speak sensibly in either English or German (as we live in Switzerland, I call my mish-mash of a language Swinglish). Mind you, a lot of people would probably say that I have never had the ability to speak sensibly in any language! ;-)

jeansy

brain

Postby jeansy » Fri May 25, 2007 3:25 pm

I have exactly the same problem carolina, usually helped by one or two potiries of the old aspro krasi, my biggest problem is it effects my ability to speak at all let alone worry what language to screw up, :oops: :wink:

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri May 25, 2007 3:25 pm

must have been an old report you were reading Carol because he has done it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6689999.stm

Kenny

Re: brain

Postby Kenny » Fri May 25, 2007 5:28 pm

jeansy wrote:I have exactly the same problem carolina, usually helped by one or two potiries of the old aspro krasi, my biggest problem is it effects my ability to speak at all let alone worry what language to screw up, :oops: :wink:

Well I can't speak Greek but trying to learn.After about 6 raki's though I can't speak English very well either :roll: Ken.

Kikh

Postby Kikh » Fri May 25, 2007 7:23 pm

I have a huge problem :?

I'm Swedish so I speak Swedish, rather good English and very little Greek - Sober that is...

After a few pints I speak Swedish, bloody brilliant English and some Greek...
After a few more and some friendly raki I speak scouse and rather good Greek...
A few more of each and a couple of coffee later, to sober up - I start humming in a silly way and suddenly can't talk at all :oops:

Conclusion - Stick to the booze and never mix it with coffee!
Kickie

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri May 25, 2007 7:26 pm

paulh wrote:must have been an old report you were reading Carol because he has done it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6689999.stm

Ooops , what's the title of this thread?

Obviously I didn't do so!

jeansy

brain

Postby jeansy » Fri May 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Sounds to me like we have an awful lot of people who appear to have problems with alchohol and talking, in what appears to be a variety of languages, I therefore recomend we ask the UN to make an appearance consult the EU and come up with a proposal to send in a team of specialits to assist us all with what is going to be a major problem in the future. :wink: OOPS if the Americans are watching this the assistance will probably arrive on the wings of a stealth bomber or a B52. :(

Quick question does anybody else think that I've lost the plot a little here :?

Kikh

Postby Kikh » Fri May 25, 2007 9:02 pm

Naaaa, B52 are shots and they sometimes (too many) make me talk Danish and long for company. Any assistant will do then. Brilliant gibberish Jeansy, have you been drinking again?;)
Kickie

jeansy

brain

Postby jeansy » Fri May 25, 2007 9:55 pm

Might have had a little of the falling over water but not too much, But I do suffer from years of imbibing in the fuel of making life seem a little bit dafter, you cannot be serious all the time. :lol:

But I do worry about the septics seeing this, cia, fbi, nsa and all the acroynims the septics like to use, could end up my part of the island will have a soddin great aircraft carrier parked in the bay and that donut Bush on the deck giving his usual rhetoric, :roll:

Sorry I,m off on one again, but if you do not hear from me in the next few days send a card to guantamano for me, :(

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri May 25, 2007 10:03 pm

If, as Kikh says, B52s are "shots" does this make septics "tanks"?

John

jeansy

brain

Postby jeansy » Sat May 26, 2007 10:04 am

Sorry john a septic is a person from the USA, :roll: but don't tell em !!! try to keep it a secret ok, :wink: :wink:

carolineclaire

Postby carolineclaire » Sat May 26, 2007 10:47 am

good ol' cockney rhyming slang...now there's an interesting language!!

Septic Tank - Yank!! great one....

Bubble and Squeak - Greek!!!

anyone got any amusing but unoffensive contributions....???

Kikh

Sign the EU language petition!

Postby Kikh » Sat May 26, 2007 10:50 am

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!
Kickie

jeansy

brain

Postby jeansy » Sat May 26, 2007 11:07 am

carolineclaire, as follows try and work em out I'm only using the first word though

Apples &
Frog &
kettle
boat _
jam _
Trouble &
Girraffe
plates of
Mince _
Norf &
Rubba _ _

that will keep you busy a while so as the old currant is over the yardarm and I,ve got a froat like a witches I'm going to ave ta frow a slurp down me gregory, bit previous for a gold watch, a pint of soot would be kosher, but will ave to settle for a cup of rosy as the trouble don't allow early doors this time of the day. he he he !! 8)

Return to “General Discussion & News”