Too old for this!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Retired in Crete

Too old for this!

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri May 25, 2007 10:16 pm

According to todays Daily Mail "When it comes to technology, we switch off at 42"

It goes on to say "A study claims that this is the precise age at which we become technological dunces. Computers, MP3 players, cameras and mobile phones become utterly bewildering and we start to call on children or younger relatives for help"

"By 53 the problem is even worse and we just stop trying, flinging the instruction book in the bin and asking for help straight away"

The company which did the research for this is:

http://www.whatisyourtq.com/

They have an online test of your knowledge, how well can you do?

Although too old to remember what I had for breakfast, I have just remembered that I have no idea how to use the internet!

John

Kikh

Maybe we do switch off at 42...Worried!

Postby Kikh » Fri May 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Your personal TQ rating is: 104

90 - 109 - Superior TQ but room for improvement

Will it drop when I turn 42 soon?
Kickie

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 pm

I notice the all important phrase...""A study claims that .." Can one volunteer to take part in a study? Do you get paid for being studied?

I see it says that we turn off at 42. Well I'll turn off at 11.42, ust after I've had my hot chocolate.

G'night

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 pm

My result was 80 normal-average which I suppose for 59 is above average :lol:

I have always thrown the instruction book away and asked for help but I put that down to being lazy. :oops:

New technology is something I like but do confess not being able to understand the workings of sometimes.However its never usually that big a problem as my 6 year old grandson keeps me right. 8)

andheath

Postby andheath » Fri May 25, 2007 10:57 pm

Kickie

everything drops at some point :shock:

Andy

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat May 26, 2007 12:16 am

look up what a silver surfer is

look up what the growth pattern of silver surfers on the net has been over the last 6 years.

look up what date has been designated "silver surfer day" (there will be a clean handkerchief day designated soon you watch!)

check against the date of the Mail article

now make a guess why the Mail had that article on that day.

(Oh and a 2005 London survey by a marketing company of 7000 silver surfers found 80% were self taught......hardly technophobia is it.)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 26, 2007 5:22 pm

114 for a 61 year old tends to show that it is dangerous to generalise.

I also think that some of the questions are badly worded, e.g. the one about switch over from analogue to digital network doesn't mention TV anywhere. For control sytems in industrial networks there has been an ongoing change from analogue 20 mA loop to various digital serial equipment for some years now. Finally some questions have more than one correct answer. For example, anybody using a Windows 95 PC not connected to the Internet would gain no speed benefit from deleting temporary Internet files because they wouldn't have any. In my experience it is virtually essential to switch such a PC on and off a couple of times per day or it will simply grind to a halt

Perhaps an IQ test of a representative group of Mail readers against a similar group of non-Mail readers might be more revealing?

I cannot believe anybody ever reads the instruction manual. I mean, they are all in Greek. I work on the principle that if you can't work out to use it yourself then you shouldn't be allowed to use it at all. :wink:

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Kilkis wrote:In my experience it is virtually essential to switch such a PC on and off a couple of times per day or it will simply grind to a halt
Or invest in a small utility program like C(rap)Cleaner which I think will work with older operating systems. It clears out all the rubbish that accumulates on a PC.

It's actually shareware and has no price attached, just a request to make a donation if you like the program and continue to use it. I bunged them a tenner when I first used it and another after a couple of years as it did so much more by then.

Filippos.

Carolina
Site Admin

Re: Too old for this!

Postby Carolina » Sun May 27, 2007 9:22 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:
"By 53 the problem is even worse and we just stop trying, flinging the instruction book in the bin and asking for help straight away"

Ken says "I have always thrown the instruction book away"
Warwick says "I cannot believe anybody ever reads the instruction manual"

I think you guys have proved Kikhs point, where she says (on another thread- the one where I get to keep the IKEA kitchen - yipee) "We have little chance in winning the competition if we leave the assembling to a man, no matter what country he origin from".

Hmmm could this be more of a male/female thing than an age thing?

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sun May 27, 2007 9:38 pm

You could well be right Carolina.My wife is far more practical than I am and I am not afraid to admit it.

Also she would not throw the instruction book away :lol:

Ken.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 27, 2007 11:22 pm

filippos wrote:Or invest in a small utility program like C(rap)Cleaner which I think will work with older operating systems. It clears out all the rubbish that accumulates on a PC.

Filippos.

I don't think it would help, Filippos. The problem with 95 was mostly memory leakage. Many processes would not release memory correctly when they closed down. The operator is often unaware that processes are starting and closing all the time. Eventually the amount of available memory gets so small that everything is having to disk swap all the time. Turn off and back on and everything reverts to normal.....for a time.

I think the real point I was trying to make was that the designers of the quiz had a very narrow viewpoint centred on consumer products. Someone might be writting adaptive algorithms for an automotive ABS sytem and have no interest whatsoever in MP3 players or iPods. They are certainly not technically illiterate but they might not be able to answer some of the quiz questions. People have strange ideas about what is cutting edge technology. Most people think that aerospace technology is at the forefront but a director at Saab once told me that their aircraft division learned far more from the research done by the truck division than vice-versa.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 28, 2007 2:13 pm

There's hope for us all yet!!!!

A "new" (?) group have just recorded a remake of The Who classic, "My Generation". Average age......... 78! Age of lead singer............91!

Almost forgot. The name of the group?.......The Zimmers of course, what else?

Watch it and weep on www.youtube.com/v/zqfFrCUrEbY

Warwick

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Mon May 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Excellent Warwick,I enjoyed that clip.Tell you what,they are more talented than some of the young entertainers that I have heard lately :lol: Ken.

OrientalE10

Postby OrientalE10 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:18 pm

I always thought that 42 was the answer to the universe, according to the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Nick

Return to “General Discussion & News”