Cape Spatha on Rodopou peninsula

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jean

Cape Spatha on Rodopou peninsula

Postby Jean » Sat May 26, 2007 12:12 pm

Does anyone know when and for what purpose the gun emplacements and shelters were built on Cape Spatha? I suspect that it is German but would also like to know by whom it was built (prisoners, locals?). Was there a road then or how were the materials brought?

I'd appreciate if someone could point me out to some information about it (preferably on the web) about the history of the place.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi Jean,

I just Googled Cape Spatha Crete and it came up with 10 page references (and offered a further search to include similar pages) most of which concerned the Battle of Crete, the German invasion and one about the Polish navy. I didn't read any detail but it may be worth a look.

Filippos.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat May 26, 2007 1:20 pm

Believe me, if I had found it in Google (funny that the first result is a page in one of my sites) I would not be asking here.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 26, 2007 4:21 pm

I was in two minds as to whether or not to submit my first post bearing in mind how "search savvy" you are. I did see the link to your site up at the top.

In the end I posted because I thought, "What the hell, he might have missed it."

Filippos.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat May 26, 2007 6:34 pm

Google is my first line of enquiry for anything (and before Google it was Alta Vista and Yahoo). Always.
But of course I might very well have missed a reference somewhere beyond the first few results pages which is why I asked on this forum.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat May 26, 2007 7:20 pm

well I tried an independent search program called telescope which sometimes throws up important differences to Google

A lot of information but none of it what you want. Seems fairly cut and dried that it wasn't the allied forces on their retreat out of Greece, they just did not have enough time and had all on installing communication lines. (some things never change on Crete)

Its mentioned as being the most northerly point on Crete and being the place close to which several naval incidents happened.

I suspect you would need to go to a German based web page if there is such information on record or you are looking to the memory of local Greeks in the area which given they were children at the time could be an incomplete memory.

thanks for asking though Jean because I found some interesting reading and I will keep it in mind as I go on the net in the future.

cheers paul

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat May 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Have you been to Spatha Paul? One can definitely understand that it seemed important strategically.

Checking German web pages was a good idea and have just done that but no luck. I'll email Tim and SJ, they might know something.

Return to “General Discussion & News”