Starting a business

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cliffjona

Starting a business

Postby Cliffjona » Sun May 27, 2007 1:45 pm

AlthoughI have not decided on what business to start with, I was thinking along the lines of a beach hiring type, ie; Pedalos, small boats, sea scooters. I assume i would need a licence, would I also need to have a designated area, would i get much local opposition if there were no others doing this in the area i choose. any info would be great, but don't give me a hard time if it sounds a dumb idea, ha ha.
More sun please

jeansy

business

Postby jeansy » Sun May 27, 2007 4:00 pm

Cliffjona, boy oh boy have you got your work cut out,
get a good lawyer
get an accountant
learn the language quick smart
get a friend on the council
get these then have a look for a spot where nobody rlse is set up, you will probably need to link up with a hotel or complex. Yes you will need licenses, safety equipment, lifeguard, safety boat and a very good relationship with the port police who can and will fine you for anything and everything, I have some friends who have these types of businesses and I expect they would be willing to talk to you about any other areas I may have missed. My advice for whar it's worth is think againsave yourself a lot of grief and a lot of dough.
Best of luck to you

Cliffjona

Postby Cliffjona » Sun May 27, 2007 8:37 pm

Thanks Jeansy, I thought as much, but never know till you ask. It was just a general enquiry. can't make up my mind, my Wife and I want to live in Crete but can't decide which road to take as far as earning a living, oh well back to the drawing board.
More sun please

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun May 27, 2007 9:42 pm

Some good advice from Jeansy, and whatever business you set up you'll need a good lawyer and accountant. The good news is that they will help you get a business registered and get all the licences in place.

The beaches are controlled by the local councils and they all have their own rules regarding the numbers of beds and umbrellas, beach bars, water sports etc. that they allow on the beaches under their control. There is usually a fair amount of competition just to get a licence.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Return to “General Discussion & News”