Shocking figures on Crete road accidents..

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:09 pm

filippos wrote:Through villages and towns I never exceed the posted limit [usually 50kph/30mph] and usually drive about 10kph below that, often to the annoyance of other local drivers. If there are children about I slow down even more.

It's somewhat different on the Ethniki. Depending on traffic, weather conditions, time of day etc., I'll drive as fast as the car is capable of. .

When 'Er Indoors is a passenger I'm much slower as she's pushing her imaginary brake before we hit 110.

Inclined to agree with you Filippos, I always take extra care when in the villages, unlike the locals. I also have a male version of Maggie, who spends most of his time on the roads in Crete hanging on to his door handle for grim death and applying his imaginary brakes way ahead of me.

I know the stretches of road you are referring to on the Ethniki where you put your foot down, but even so, rarely take the car above 120. On my last trip up towards Kissamos I was amazed to see a woman crashed into the wall on the opposite carriageway, with no apparent reason for it, the traffic was quiet so the road was almost empty. We had a similar experience going to the Airport one morning when a Peugeot shot out in front of us, at right angles, from nowhere and ended up on the central reservation facing the oncoming traffic with bits of car flying in all directions. The female driver jumped out using her mobile phone!

It does annoy me when you get tailgated, particularly at night when the following car usually has unfocussed lights, but then I get out of the way and let them through as soon as possible. I try to overtake only when safe to do so but, as has been said, it is especially irritating when the vehicle in front is crawling along and in the process hogging most of the highway. A swift 'toot' and then I am usually away out of it.

Locally, where we are the Police are regularly out with their 'hairdryers' so it pays to be cautious.

All in all, having driven in Crete for as long as I have, I am not too worried, you get cut up in UK where ever you are and now more often than not by young females. The same maxim applies, I was always taught to expect the unexpected, and hopefully on that basis all will be well.

Kathleen

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 pm

I've found a quick way to stop the tailgaters.......turn on the windscreen washers! As the roof of my car is usually dirty the one behind gets lovely brown water all over his / her car.

pinch

Postby pinch » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:40 am

What an excellent idea, i shall adjust one of mine accordingly.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:37 pm

Motorbikes have the best answer to tailgaters. Rev up and flick the engine stop switch off and back on. Usually results in a large bang and a sheet of flame flying out of the exhausts. Now why aren't cars fitted with this?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”