Animal Welfare

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Nita

Animal Welfare

Postby Nita » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:32 am

It's been a bad two days as far as animal welfare is concerned.

Yesterday afternoon I witnessed a man (Greek) beating his German Shepherd, a distressing sight which left me upset, angry and feeling utterly helpless. Unfortunately there is no-one here (unless someone on the forum knows differently) who you can call to report this to. I did call the man a particularly unpleasant name in Greek, learnt soon after arriving here but the first time I've used it.

This morning, whilst walking my own dog, I spotted a black bin liner at the side of the road which was moving. I quickly undid the bag and found a puppy inside!!! After numerous telephone calls I'm pleased to say that I've managed to find Jack (had to call him something!) a good home. After asking a few questions of neighbours etc., we have discovered the culprits of this despicable act, not Greek but a local Albanian family. I know what I'd like to do to them, but... !!!

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:03 pm

That's really upsetting but I know it's common practice in Greece and also in Turkey.

My friend is a vet and married a Turk and has been living in South West Turkey for almost 7 years now. She opened up her own clinic in her local town initially to neuter stray cats and dogs but also now does vet work for the people that actually care about their pets. The number of stories she has told me about cruelty to animals in Turkey turns my stomach sometimes (especially when I've just eaten)!

I'd love a dog when we move over to Crete but I'm worried about what we'd do with him (don't want a b*tch cos we've both always had male dogs) during the season when we're working long hours (maybe I could set up a dog sitting service)!!
Living in Crete!!

King Minos

Postby King Minos » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Hmm, that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding bringing our dog down there.

Then again, perhaps a kennel service could be something of an unexplored niche down there - surely there's a fair amount of "expats" with dogs who might need them boarded from time to time.

At any rate, if I saw anyone beating my dog, or indeed any dog, my retaliation would not be pleasant.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:50 pm

King Minos wrote:At any rate, if I saw anyone beating my dog, or indeed any dog, my retaliation would not be pleasant.
My sentiments, too, but bear in mind that this could easily start a vendetta. Greeks have extended families so you'd be heavily outnumbered. Most also own guns.

Filippos.

Nita

Postby Nita » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Filippos said: Greeks have extended families so you'd be heavily outnumbered. Most also own guns.

Quite right Filippos. I must confess after verbally abusing my Greek neighbour, for beating his dog, I did wonder if I would need a bullet proof vest the next time I went to the supermarket!

jeansy

welfare

Postby jeansy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:24 pm

Tread very carefully when having a pop at someone over their dog as you may well end up with nasty surprise, you can call the police who are required to answer but the chances are he will tell the owner who sent them.
Last edited by jeansy on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Minos

Postby King Minos » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:24 am

Greeks have extended families so you'd be heavily outnumbered. Most also own guns.

Note to self, befriend the local Albanian mafia. :twisted: :wink: [/i]

Return to “General Discussion & News”