Olive leaf frappe?!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Olive leaf frappe?!

Postby Carolina » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 am

If you live in Greece and watch Greek TV you can't fail to have heard about this latest 'hot topic'. One TV station reported on the health giving properties of the olive leaf last week and now there are discussions about it every time I turn on the TV!

So what are they saying? Basically take a handful of olives leaves and stick them in a blender with a cup of water. What you end up with is a (allegedly) healthy green frappe to replace your morning coffee!

Scores of Greek citizens have come forward to say that they have been doing exactly this and that all manner of ills have been cured. The doctors are a little more sceptical, but say that clinical tests should be carried out as there could be some truth in this - after all the health benefits of the olive and it's oil are well known... so why not the leaf?

Don't be surprised if you find pre - packed olive leaves on sale in a supermarket near you soon (don't think they'd sell very well in Crete).

You heard it here first! Unless you have been watching Greek TV of course ... in which case, have you tried it yet??

john

Postby john » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:11 pm

I saw this on TV too and swear that they showed cellophane wrapped packages of olive leaves.

John

kostas
Site Admin

Could be Dangerous!

Postby kostas » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:17 am

It could be dangerous and toxic says the Kathimerini newspaper

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 2007_79535

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:22 pm

On Sunday, an argument erupted between two brothers in Messini, southern Greece, over whether they should give the leaf juice to their third brother, who suffers from cancer, ended with one stabbing the other to death.

Certainly sounds bad for your health to me! :wink:

Return to “General Discussion & News”