NEAPOLI AREA

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
jinty

NEAPOLI AREA

Postby jinty » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:16 pm

HI
ANY OF YOU GOOD FOLK HAVE ANY INFO YOU COULD SHARE WITH ME REGARDS THE NEAPOLI AREA AND THE SURROUNDING AREAS. ARE THE HOUSES MOSTLY TRADITIONAL, CAN ANYONE RECOMMENED ANY THAT ARE OR MIGHT BE FOR SALE. ANY INFO WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

THANKS
JINTY
Jinty

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:47 am

Sorry if this may not answer your question but you made me curious: why on earth would you think about buying a house in a place that you haven't been to?

jinty

Postby jinty » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:59 pm

hi
jean
I plan to visit shortly. i was only trying to sound the area out before i visited rather than look at to many houses, as i plan to look in other places also . hope this answers your question

regards
Jinty
Jinty

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:53 am

Yes, now I understand.
I had been getting the impression from your initial post that you were another one of these...fools..I guess (or very naive people might be a less offending description) who come here with this huge desire to part with a large chunk of money without having a clue as to what they are getting into.
Obviously you want to check the place out...good for you and take LOTS of time.

Hooly

Postby Hooly » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 am

We looked at several properties in that area last year so here are my thoughts.

There is quite a lot & a mix of property for sale in the villages along the valley that the National Road runs through to Neapoli from Ag Nik & most of the Ag Nik agents cover that area. Personally I've never really sorted out if I like Neapoli itself but some of the surrounding villages are quite pleasant.

Most of the houses we saw were in places like Houmeriako & Limnes. Houmeriako has a nice view across the valley and the places we saw there were more traditional properties. IIRC it's got either 1 or 2 tavernas & a couple of kafenions. Limnes is more on the valley floor, has, in my opinion, more a mix of newer places and more facilities. I believe that Limnes has quite a few ex-pats. Latsida looked a nice, interesting village & more remote higher up in the hills is Vrahassi. Nikithianos a pretty place, right next to the NR but has no facilities at all.

One of the reasons we decided against that area was that when we were there, both summer & later on, there were times when the weather could be clear & sunny at Ag Nik & further along at Kalo Horio, where we finally bought, but the area around Neapoli was cloudy & overcast. This I assume is due to the metereological effects of the the surrounding hills but the difference in weather could be quite surprising over the space of only a few km. However we were looking for a holiday base so that criteria may not apply to you.

My final point is that we've found one particular agent who, in our experience, overprices their property. We seriously looked at buying 4 places & the differential was an average of 16% with the other agents who held the same houses. They do have the largest portfolio but personally I'd check the others if I saw one I liked with them, just in case. I'll happily PM you the details if you want.

Hope that helps
Pete

jinty

thanks for the reply

Postby jinty » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:35 pm

pete
could you send me a pm, thanks again.

jinty
Jinty

Return to “General Discussion & News”