petrol for hire car

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
annabanana

petrol for hire car

Postby annabanana » Sun May 30, 2010 11:15 am

Hi
My friends just came back from holidays from Crete and they have to pay E70.00 for the full tank of petrol before they could have a hire car
Please if anyone knows if this a new thing ,we are coming to crete in june so will be nice to know how much they tray charge us before we start our holidays :?

Thank you :)
Annabanana

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun May 30, 2010 11:32 am

You should be able to pick the car up full and return it full therefore avoiding excessive charges on fuel by the hire company. Or as we found, the tank was half full so we said we would bring it back half full and there was no problem (make sure they make a note of it). Check before you book is my advice. Some firms may wish to take a payment for fuel from your credit card and when you return the car at the same level of fuel as when you started the reimburse you the amount taken. Hope this helps.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sun May 30, 2010 11:33 am

This depends on which company you hire from. I collect my car at Heraklion Airport from Autotrip on arrival. The previous hirer returns the car at or near empty. If my flight is arriving early afternoon or evening I buy petrol at a station near the airport. On a late arrival I ask the company to put 25 - 30€ in for me, enough to get me to Rethymnon safely. I can then top up as needed at my local filling station.

Bear in mind fuel, with recent tax and duty rises, is now much more expensive in Crete than in UK, (see the thread on fuel costs on this board) and probably other European countries.

Kathleen

Return to “General Discussion & News”