A new book

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jean

A new book

Postby Jean » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 pm

There is a new book on Crete by Christopher Somerville coming up in a few days. It's very highly praised by Stelios Jackson in a review that I have just published at http://www.west-crete.com/book-of-the-month.htm

As Stelios is not in the habit of indiscriminately dispensing praise for books (see the demolition job he did on another Crete travel book at http://www.west-crete.com/book-review-c ... sworth.htm ) I am really looking forward to this one, it sounds so good.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 am

Look forward to it, high praise indeed from Stelios.

Talking of SJ, we are still suspended in Agia Roumeli in anticipation of the ...disastrous?.. walk to Sougia. Bring on chapter 14!
(for those is the dark see http://sjwalks.interkriti.org/0130010.htm )

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:40 am

Talking of SJ, we are still suspended in Agia Roumeli in anticipation of the ...disastrous?.. walk to Sougia.

He is working on it. I know this because he asked me if I could remember some of the details of it. Go figure why...I wasn't on the walk ;-)

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:45 pm

He's done it!! Bravo SJ.

Chapter 14 now online here http://sjwalks.interkriti.org/0140010.htm

He obviously lost his mind at the end of it Jean (so it reads!) and assume he needed your sane recollections of what he had related during the phone calls ...
Last edited by Carolina on Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Great to read this next chapter, but how many months before we get the follow up. I think he enjoys keeping us in suspense.

BTW, it is good to see Jean posting on this site. He is certainly a miss on the other, but I do enjoy a look at the picture of the day on his site.

Kathleen

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:16 pm

it is good to see Jean posting on this site.

Thanks Kathleen. I am happy to post here too.
I found the atmosphere on interkriti became too poisonous which is why I eventually left. A shame because it used to be a wonderful forum. I just hope that this one will have a long and happy life.

Hooly

Postby Hooly » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Not Crete related. But I had the pleasure of meeting Chrisopher Somerville 18 months or so ago when he came to our town library as part of the Essex book fair initiative promoting his book of the Coast TV series & gave a talk of his favourite areas of the Essex coast, having lived in the area for a time. A very nice man & a thoroughly pleasant evening.

I'm in my mid 40's and my partner Julie is a few years younger but I would say we were the youngest there by some distance. He started his Essex route in the south at Canvey Island. Mmmm, a strange choice methinks, until he explains it relates to the poetic elements of songs by one of his (& my) favourite bands. He then proceeded to play a nice loud CD of a Dr Feelgood number and the looks on some of the more senior members & vast majority of the audience was quite hilarious. I think they thought the whole talk was to be like this. I wouldn't have complained but he did revert to a gentler style for the rest of the lecture.

Pete

Return to “General Discussion & News”