Anybody have experience of this??

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
katowales

Anybody have experience of this??

Postby katowales » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:44 pm

I know its a long shot.... but...

I have been living in Crete on and off for the last 18 months (trying to build a house - well my husband is doing most of the work and he has been on Crete since our arrival in Dec 08!). I have returned once to the UK to do work and gave in my notice in April this year to return to Crete :) ... so far so good.

I am now returning to the UK again in three weeks to do some agency work for about 3 months (I work in social care). I have just been contacted by one of the UK agencies I have registered with and been asked for a 'Criminal Records Check' from the police in Greece!! as there is an employment gap in my CV! I suspect this is going to take forever and be expensive. Have been given a contact:

Ministry of Justice
Criminal Records Department
96 Messoghion Street
115 27 Athens
Greece
I really do hope I am not expected to go to Athens :(

Any advice/info would be very gratefully received

Thank you Carol

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:38 am

I would suggest asking KEP. They should either know the procedure or be able to find out for you. Alternatively you could try your local police station.

I had the opposite problem. I hold a very small number of shares in a Greek company that I work for. Before the company could receive a government contract every shareholder had to have a criminal record check. Because I am a UK citizen I had to get mine from the UK. It was pretty straight forward. Fill in a few details on a form and send it off with a small fee. Acknowledgement of application came back more or less by return and the whole process took a little over a month.

Warwick

katowales

Postby katowales » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Thank you for your response Warwick... my next stop was going to be KEP, but thought I would try the forum for advice/any experiences.

I tried the phone number of the Ministry of Justice, Athens... 'not operational' (why am I not surprised). I have also sent emails to three different departments (inc Greek Embassy in UK)... so who knows I may even get an answer. I am also slightly annoyed that the UK agency did not ask for this when I made my first enquiry, way back in August, about going back to work in the UK!

Yes I know the procedure for UK CRB, have been through it many times due to my work, and have just had two done. Because of the nature of my work it took 4 weeks for an enhanced CRB, but that was the easy part.

Will post the outcome... if any, just for anyone else's interest.

regards Carol

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Have you tried the contact form on http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... %26hl%3Den

Scroll down to bottom right.

Warwick

katowales

Postby katowales » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Thank you Warwick - I have sent a message using the form.... lets hope.

regards Carol

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:57 pm

You need to go to your nearest Nomarxio - in Chania it's the courthouse building. KEP may be able to do it for you. A police station can't.

katowales

Postby katowales » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Thank you for that Carol, I am going off to KEP on Monday morning - needless to say I have had no response from any of the departments I emailed!

regards Carol

katowales

Postby katowales » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 pm

For anyone interested - update on my quest for a Greek 'police check/CRB' - KEP at Koxare as usual extremely helpful. They did an online application for me, this morning, there and then (internet going down only once!) - just needed my passport and fathers/mothers name. They also wanted to know the source of the request eg. employment agency in London.

I was told that they would contact me on my mobile when they get something back. They had no idea how long it would take - weeks??? The KEP lady suggested I might try going to Spili Police Station to see if they could do anything more quickly (I very much doubt it!).

Carol

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi Carol

We're looking at the possibility of my husband having to get this done. Have you had a response yet?

Thanks

Lynn
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Lynn, I realise you're asking the other Carol but I've just had to get one done myself. I went to KEP with passport & they filled in the application form - I got a call to say the document was ready in a little over a week.

katowales

Postby katowales » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 am

Hello Lynn,

yes as Carol (Carolina) says go to KEP - this is by far the easiest option - I actually had to leave for the UK before my police check came through - but KEP phoned me and said they had the completed check and they let my husband collect it from Koxare - took about three weeks. He then scanned it to me and the agency was happy with this. Just an aside... the Ministry of Justice (Greek) telephoned me abut two months after I got back to Crete, in March (having done my stint of work in the UK) to ask what I wanted :roll:

regards Carol

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks Carol and Carol!

We'll look into it and sort it out if and when the time comes.

Just need to find out where KEP in Malia has moved to.

Lynn
Living in Crete!!

Return to “General Discussion & News”