Is Your Car Legal?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Is Your Car Legal?

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 pm

I guess you all probably know this already but I thought I would post it just in case anybody out there is not aware.

I popped down to the Chania KTEO, on the Mournies road, this morning for my biannual test. Very friendly, efficient and professional. Discovered that by law you must carry a Fire Extinguisher, a Reflective Warning Triangle and a First Aid Kit in the car. I sort of knew about the first two, although I didn’t have a triangle, but I did not know about the first aid kit. It is now part of the test to check that you have these. Police can also check if you are ever stopped.

Warwick

PS In case you were concerned the car passed the test.

Hudson

Re: Is Your Car Legal?

Postby Hudson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Kilkis wrote:I guess you all probably know this already but I thought I would post it just in case anybody out there is not aware.

I popped down to the Chania KTEO, on the Mournies road, this morning for my biannual test. Very friendly, efficient and professional. Discovered that by law you must carry a Fire Extinguisher, a Reflective Warning Triangle and a First Aid Kit in the car. I sort of knew about the first two, although I didn’t have a triangle, but I did not know about the first aid kit. It is now part of the test to check that you have these. Police can also check if you are ever stopped.

Warwick

PS In case you were concerned the car passed the test.

But how about you? :)

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:52 pm

Do these stipulations also apply to hire cars Warwick? I have certainly never had them provided with any I have rented.

Kathleen

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:26 pm

A year after our car was due for it's first test (about two years ago) we went to a local KEP office to find out about the procedure and location of the nearest (only one at the time?) testing station in the area.

They produced a list of registration numbers alongside which were dates when test were due. They asked our registration and when I said "XNM" they collapsed with laughter - and it wasn't my pronunciation that cause the merriment. "They are doing Ita now. It will be three or four years before they get to Mi, maybe longer. There are not enough places. Don't worry, go away." They were still chortling as we left.

Filippos.

Assim

Postby Assim » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Tests? like MOT tests?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:47 pm

Assim wrote:For Tests? like MOT tests?

Yes supposedly for cars more than 4 years old, and the KTEO certificate should be renewed every 2 years.
But it doesn't actually work like that as they don't have the resources to test them in many places

filippos wrote: They asked our registration and when I said "XNM" they collapsed with laughter - and it wasn't my pronunciation that cause the merriment. "They are doing Ita now. It will be three or four years before they get to Mi, maybe longer. There are not enough places.

Filippos.

Just to update you Filippos, they have just started doing XNB numberplates now in Hania - cars from 1990/91 - so they are still about 12 years behind! So far they have only got through HA, HB and XNA. (note to others - this is in the Hania area, covered by Tavronitis KTEO.)

Warwick - how much did you pay at the private one at Mournies, and how old is your car? ... If I may ask - and being partly Greek, well in character at least - I will :wink:

I have been wondering how the private (idiotiko) KTEO will work with the government ones, and whether it is possible to be fined now for not having a certificate. Before it was impossible to get one until they 'called up' your numberplate.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:21 pm

the private one at Mournies

So that's a private one??? Every time I pass it I think that one day I should get an MOT for my 10 years old car but I didn't know it was private.
So how does that work? They take your money and give you the paper regardless of the condition of the car? I am interested now, please tell me more.

Barbary Coaster

Postby Barbary Coaster » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:29 am

Kathleen wrote:Do these stipulations also apply to hire cars Warwick? I have certainly never had them provided with any I have rented.

Kathleen

Very interesting point you raise there - the Greek law does say you need those things in your car, so why should hire cars be exempt????

However, I know exactly what the man in the car hire office will say - don't worry !!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:37 am

Kathleen wrote:Do these stipulations also apply to hire cars Warwick?
I think most hire cars these days are less than three years old.

Filippos.

PS The above comment relates to tests not triangle, extinguisher & first aid kit.
Last edited by filippos on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assimilate

Postby Assimilate » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:13 am

Carolina wrote:
Assim wrote:For Tests? like MOT tests?

Yes supposedly for cars more than 4 years old, and the KTEO certificate should be renewed every 2 years.
But it doesn't actually work like that as they don't have the resources to test them in many places

Does this include motorbikes? I asked a few Greek friends about vehicle testing and I just get the shruggy shoulders and "No we don't do that here"

So my 15 year old bike has never been tested since I imported it 5 years ago :shock:

Whats the fine for not having the test certificate?

jeansy

car test

Postby jeansy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:21 pm

The K TEO workshops that are springing up is the way now of getting your vehicle tested and proved as being up to standard, they are very efficient and very helpful, they are running behind by up to two years but will give you a temporary certificate to show the police that you have at least made the effort. Also they will then phone you to say that you can bring in your car for testing, if your vehicle fails they will either let you have an independant mechanic rectify the problems or they will do it for you at fairly competitive prices. Once you pass you have a sticker that is fixed to your rear number plate stating when you must return the vehicle for testing, also I believe now that all second hand cars must be put through the test at the dealers expense and have the stamp and paper work to go with it, the fines can apparently be very high up to 600.00 eur, so be careful

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:36 pm

jeansy, you write about KTEO workshops springing up and having a waiting list of 2 years. So do you mean the official ones? Have they just just 'sprung up'? It seems to me that KTEO has been around a good few years now.
Caroline mentions a private one in Mournies. This is confusing.
Would someone care to explain which is which and what the private ones do that the other one isn't.

Thank you

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:10 pm

If you are in the Ag Nik area, a new (private) testing station opened a couple of weeks ago in Neapolis.

All the garages in the area were invited to the Grand Opening and they were also given a pile of advertising leaflets which contain a map of how to find the new testing place, so any garage in the area should be able to give you directions.

John

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:27 am

Jean wrote: This is confusing.

I agree!

The private KTEO are called IKTEO (Idiotiko KTEO) and they are licenced by the government. My brother in law took his old van to the IKTEO in Mournies and he got a 'pre-check certificate', so this must be what jeansy means about the temporary certificate (?).

The IKTEO only started in 2006 and many more opened in 2007.

The Ministry of Transport now have a webpage in English on the KTEO - or Vehicle Technical Control - VTC - http://www.yme.gr/viewpage.php?section=542

The website says:
"The first control for new public passenger cars and trucks (gross weight up to 3.5 tons) will be conducted within four (4) years (with a  1- week margin) following the issuing of the first licence, with the exception of the Attica region where this control will take place according to a Call Program announced by the Road Safety and Environment Directorate of the Ministry of Transport and Communications."
The 'Call Program' however operates in most areas, e.g. in Chania they are just calling up cars with XNA/XNB reg - these are 16 year old cars.

So it sounds as though you are not obliged to go to an IKTEO for the check (or 'pre-check') if your car is more than four years old, but it's still not clear ?

To Assim - there are no checks required for bikes yet. They are supposed to be bringing them in, but I guess they are so far behind with the cars that it'll be a while.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks Carol.
So if I wanted my car to be 'legal' I could go to the IKTEO in Mournies for a 'pre-check certificate' and that would cover me until my car is called (in a few years time by the looks of it as it is 'only' 10 years old). Is this correct? And any idea how much that pre-check costs?

Return to “General Discussion & News”