Is Your Car Legal?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:22 am

Jean wrote:Thanks Carol.
So if I wanted my car to be 'legal' I could go to the IKTEO in Mournies for a 'pre-check certificate' and that would cover me until my car is called (in a few years time by the looks of it as it is 'only' 10 years old). Is this correct?

The question to me is, is the car still 'legal' if you don't do the I-KTEO check, as the 'Call Program' haven't called you?

Warwick should know the cost. My brother in law said it cost 50 euros (which could mean anything from 44 to 54 euros or so - you know, rounded up/down).

jeansy

cars

Postby jeansy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:58 pm

The cost I believe is between 50 - 7- euro depending on age and type of fuel as they also have to do the emission tests, best bet is go along to a testing station and book in they will then advise you on whether or not you are due for testing.
I have found the one at Mirres near Iraklion to be very good and my friends have had no complaints so far.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:17 pm

The cost to me for a 12 years old petrol driven car was 50 Euro exactly.

I have no idea if it is a pre-test or a full test. I believed that what I was getting was a full test. I have a printed certificate and the sticker on my number plate that both state it requires testing again in 2009. The certificate contains the results of the emissions test and the breaking test. Can anyone describe how to tell the difference between a pre-test and a full test? I always have a service done immediately before the test and I treat the checks done at the garage as a pre-test.

So far I have had my car tested every two years since it was four years old by the simple expedient of going to the testing station and making an appointment. Since it is still registered in Athens, I suppose I could have waited for my number to come up. In Kilkis this was done at the state run testing station. I was not aware that the one at Mournies was a privately operated one until it was pointed out in this thread but it makes sense. All very friendly polite young people working there. Very efficient and clean. No queues. I was offered a coffee while I was waiting. I didn’t have to go to a state run office to pay the fee and then take the receipt to the test station, as I have had to do in the past with KTEO.

For those of you waiting to be called, if you don’t get the KTEO test done do you get the emissions test done?

Warwick

PS Sorry for the delay replying. No ADSL for two days.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Thanks for the information Warwick, I'll give then a try soon.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:00 pm

Assimilate wrote:Does this include motorbikes? I asked a few Greek friends about vehicle testing and I just get the shruggy shoulders and "No we don't do that here"

So my 15 year old bike has never been tested since I imported it 5 years ago :shock:

There's a new law coming in 2008 making testing compulsory for motorbikes too. The plan is to start with rental motorbikes in early 2008 and these must be tested every year. Privately owned bikes, like cars, must be tested every two years.

Also by the mid to end of 2008, whether car or bike etc, the 'call program' will stop and ALL vehicles must be tested if they are due a KTEO. Apparently the government have spent two years or so getting the private IKTEO in place in order for the country to be able to deal with this future legislation.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:43 pm

Carolina wrote:There's a new law coming in 2008 making testing compulsory for motorbikes too. The plan is to start with rental motorbikes in early 2008 and these must be tested every year. Privately owned bikes, like cars, must be tested every two years.

I assume they will also include scooters in this?

This can only be a good thing, especially for people who hire bikes/scooters and maybe worry about the condition. I doubt it'll stop lots of the accidents happening though as I'm sure the majority of the one's involving tourists (and possibly locals/ex-pats) are caused by sheer stupidity or lack of knowledge of the Cretan way of driving.
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:48 pm

I'm sure they'll include 'scooters' - i.e. from 50cc.

Return to “General Discussion & News”