Really bad weather coming?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paulh

Really bad weather coming?

Postby paulh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:36 am

Just looked on Weatherunderground (yes it has changed it's look) for the Souda forecast (hourly).

Normally it might say there is a 20 or 30% chance of rain and it will be between say trace amounts and 5.0mm, maybe even 7.0mm, as an indication of how heavy.

For tomorrow early afternoon it is showing 100% certainty of rain and 16.00 mm as the amount. Hopefully it is a misreading but if not folks it is going to be very very heavy, flood producing amounts and certainly not driving conditions if you don't have to.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... y=Thursday

Any indication of something similar on other weather reporting systems?

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 am

Just looked at the forecast for Sitia, and that is all within the "normal" parameters, so guess this is a misreading of some kind, Paul.

Try
http://www.meteo.gr

for an alternative.

However,
http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index3.php?are ... =0&lang=GR

is giving a severe weather warning of thunderstorms over the next couple of days, so it may be right! Hope not, as I've just dried out the house after the last lot.....

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 am

uk.weather.com are showing 70% to 80% chance of rain from 06:00-21:00 but no indication of volume.

freemeteo.com No indication of probability
02:00-08:00 Light rain - 1.8mm to 2.4mm
11:00-14:00 Rain - 2.8mm to 4.1mm
17:00 Heavy rain - 9.6mm

So, fairly consistent. I think it's gonna rain.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:36 am

Just looked at the forecast for Sitia, and that is all within the "normal" parameters

Weather variations are so huge in Crete that what is happening in Sitia has only little relation to what might be happening in western Crete.

As for Paul's question, yes it looks like a lot of rain is on its way:

http://www.poseidon.hcmr.gr/images/mete ... 020312.png

http://cirrus.meteo.noa.gr/forecast/f_totpcp_f_21.gif

Considering current temperatures I am hoping that there will be lots of snow further up. Possibly as low as 700m. It's time to put the snow chains in the back of the car.

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:41 am

Here in the (Cretan) midlands it’s presently 7.6° outside, and our very good, very localised forecast is threatening heavy rain, cold (a daytime real feel of 4°) and Force 6 north winds for the next few days.

That’s nothing, I hear you say if you live in the UK and have weathered a horrendous winter thus far. But you’ve probably got a nice warm brick house, fitted carpets, effective heating, insulation….μακάρι

I’m planning to huddle under the duvet and set my alarm clock for Monday (15° and sunny, yessss!)

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 am

Jean wrote:
Just looked at the forecast for Sitia, and that is all within the "normal" parameters

Weather variations are so huge in Crete that what is happening in Sitia has only little relation to what might be happening in western Crete.

..that's why I put in the "however", Jean! You can keep the snow, too - just want to feel warm again. It has been very cold here the past few days, and I agree with Clio - this Cretan house was not built to deal with these kind of temperatures!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:39 am

altohb wrote:It has been very cold here the past few days, ......
Which, maybe, points up local variations. I've not found it particularly cold yet this winter and the c/h has been turned on for, perhaps, two hours a few times and it's relatively recently that more than half the radiators have been turned on. Went for a walk this a.m. wearing jogging pants, raggedy T-shirt [so old it's almost see-through], long sleeved T and mid-weight track top. After 10 minutes I was leaking like a galloping racehorse and I'm too wrinkly to walk very fast. On the other hand, maybe I just have an efficient body cooling system.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:43 pm

altohb wrote:...You can keep the snow, too - just want to feel warm again...

I must admit, after being in the UK in December I could do without snow again BUT it is vital. Heavy snow on the mountains gives slow melt well into the year which helps to top up the aquifers. Last year the snow was very light and so far this year it looks the same from our viewpoint, i.e. south west of Chania. It is full white covering only on the highest peaks and the secondary peaks are very grey which suggests the higher covering isn't all that thick. If all we get is torrential rain it virtually all runs straight off into the sea.

Weather Online is also showing 80 % probability for tomorrow and 75 % for Friday so it could last a couple of days.

Warwick

allan

Postby allan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Thars`a wuss Filippos, :)

Haven`t even open`d them there radiator thingies this year, tha must be a softy from t`other end t` M25. Us Yorkshire folk cope wit cald bett`r than them darn Suthern softies. :) :(

However, I have to say that the weather here this winter has been, so far, very mild and please may it continue to allow Filippos and his Donkey many more happy gallops.

However, as Jean, Paul and the rest say, forcasts show very bad weather is on its way.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:14 pm

I've not found it particularly cold yet this winter and the c/h has been turned on for, perhaps, two hours a few times and it's relatively recently that more than half the radiators have been turned on.

You must be made of much sterner stuff than me. We've already used 700L of heating oil this winter!

Heavy snow on the mountains gives slow melt well into the year which helps to top up the aquifers. Last year the snow was very light and so far this year it looks the same from our viewpoint, i.e. south west of Chania. It is full white covering only on the highest peaks and the secondary peaks are very grey which suggests the higher covering isn't all that thick.

The snow amount in the White Mountains last year was the lowest in shepherd's memory...so we're going back over 80 years. The snow the year before that was not much at all either.
This year's rain has been pretty normal so far but it has tended to rain on mild days so very little snow high up. Around 40cm at 2200m.

After two low years Crete really needs this snow.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Jean wrote:... so very little snow high up. Around 40cm at 2200m.
I don't suppose many of us go up as high as 7000+ feet [except in an aircraft] so you're fairly safe from contradiction.

Jean wrote:After two low years Crete really needs this snow.
Yep.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:22 pm

allan wrote:Thars`a wuss Filippos, :)

Haven`t even open`d them there radiator thingies this year, tha must be a softy from t`other end t` M25. Us Yorkshire folk cope wit cald bett`r than them darn Suthern softies. :) :(

However, I have to say that the weather here this winter has been, so far, very mild and please may it continue to allow Filippos and his Donkey many more happy gallops.

However, as Jean, Paul and the rest say, forcasts show very bad weather is on its way.

Far from me to suggest it may be idiosyncratic of Yorkshire folk, but maybe you are just tight! :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm

I think that the winter of 2004/2005 was the last really good year for snow on the mountains. We flew to Crete from Thessaloniki in February 2005 and there was more snow on the White Mountains than on the range between Greece and Bulgaria. I think February 2008 was very cold with snow down to low level briefly but still not a really good amount on the tops. I could be wrong?

Warwick

allan

Postby allan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Scooby,

Eckythump, thas usin big words, idiosnkratk, t`wards a bairn like me, na seethe, can thee try ta show us why, bein frugal, as a loiner is bein a wrong`un? And thas reight, tight as a Nats XXXX and me brass safe in me pocket.

Actually the weather has been so warm this winter I have had no need to actuate the Central Heating Control button, my bank balance has not suffered for this which allows me more cash for other uses.

:) :) :)

If you are feeling the cold, put another coat on. :D :D

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Kilkis wrote:
altohb wrote:...You can keep the snow, too - just want to feel warm again...

I must admit, after being in the UK in December I could do without snow again BUT it is vital. Heavy snow on the mountains gives slow melt well into the year which helps to top up the aquifers.

Yes, of course I realise that - just a bit fed up with feeling cold. In this area we see little in the way of snow, generally, as not high enough. There was a very bad storm a couple of weeks before Christmas, and the road from here to Aghios Nikolaos was extremely treacherous for a couple of days, with snow on the highest part of the road, but that's all we've seen so far this year.

We've had quite a bit of rain this winter, though - much more than last year, and in steady phases, rather than just the torrential stuff which just runs off and ends up making the sea muddy. Last week we had another really bad storm, with very high winds, so would prefer it if there wasn't a repeat performance. Spent most of the day mopping up the water which came in under doors & around windows and, as I said, the house is only just now really dry.

Return to “General Discussion & News”