Really bad weather coming?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
annabanana

Postby annabanana » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Hello
I must say is not very nice in UK (Devon) naw is 4.30pm and allredy dark , raine and vey windy ...not nice,
We can wait to move to Crete even when is a bad weather. :roll: :D

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:52 pm

The problem is that rain will fall over the next 20 hrs and saturate the ground. Then there will be very very heavy additional rain that will not soak into the ground as it is already waterlogged and it will sweep across fields and down roads making the roads treacherous and if driving uphill it 's going to be like driving up a river. There is an awful lot of uphill in Crete!

There are also a lot of uphill areas, above houses and villages, to collect rain and channel it down through those same villages and houses.

Normally adequate channels, drains, gratings could well prove ineffective. It won't be the first time I've seen the manhole covers forced off drains in the road in Chania because of the pressure of water from underneath and if the amount of rain forecast actually happens in a relatively short time span then it is going to be potentially dangerous hence the warning.

I see they have edited the values now....it's an 80% chance of rain and the 16mm has halved to 8 mm, still a lot but nowhere near as extreme as the previous value of 16mm

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42 am

allan wrote:...Eckythump, thas usin big words, idiosnkratk, t`wards a bairn like me, na seethe, can thee try ta show us why, bein frugal, as a loiner is bein a wrong`un? And thas reight, tight as a Nats XXXX and me brass safe in me pocket....

Durn't "Thee Tha" me, Thee Tha thi'sen 'nd see 'ow tha likes it!

Warwick

PS At present here it is light steady English type rain and actually brighter than yesterday. So far so good.

allan

Postby allan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Warwick, nice one :D :D :D

You are obviously not a Yorkshire man.

Is he Paul.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm

he's worse than just not a Yorkshireman...he's from that unmentionable place on the other side of the Pennines !!!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:35 pm

paulh wrote:he's worse than just not a Yorkshireman...he's from that unmentionable place on the other side of the Pennines !!!!

Not quite. I'm a Lincolnshire Yellow Belly but Ma's side ot famly were all Sheffelders! I knew "Darn't t'wicker wur t'water runs ower t'wear" afore I could walk.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:48 pm

To get back to snow and the need for it: it has rained around 340mm in Omalos since last night. No snow because temperatures were comparatively mild but it translates into around 3.5 m of snow above 1900 or 2000m (and probably more because precipitations are generally even greater than at Omalos as you get higher).

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:50 pm

I don’t have a clue how to read technical meteorological info, but if 16mm is an “extreme value” you’d better call me Mrs Noah. Our local chart reads and I quote:

Today’s rain 47.6mm
Monthly rain 55mm
Yearly rain 218.6mm
Today’s high rain rate 90.0mm at 18.31pm

The deluge at 6.31 was relatively short-lived but caused the worst leaks we’ve had in three years. Fortunately (big thank you, Paul) the at-risk areas had been well covered up in anticipation.

Just wondering how you’re doing over there, altonhb? Fingers crossed for no more floods for you

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Clio

they are not leaks, they are "indoor water features"

and I think your 18:31 value is too high by a factor of 10. If it is correct it is double the daily total which is illogical

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Paul, I think that a rain rate can be something measured over a very short period of time so it may only show the intensity for a given moment.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 pm

ok I hadn't considered it that way

we ourselves seemed to miss anything bad. nothing that I would even consider particularly heavy rain. Steady rain from 4:30 pm ish but you wouldn't call it a downpour

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Paul, you live at the northern tip of Akrotiri. In my experience this area seems to catch more thunderstorms but less rain than when you move closer to the White Mountains.
Even Chania is already closer. Only a few more km inland (for example Agia or Alikianos) and you already have much higher annual rainfall.
The central White Mountains might get in excess of 2000 mm per year (might because there is no weather station to show actual data). And then once over to the South side rain rates (and in the rain shadow - that excludes Paleochora) it drop dramatically.

altohb

Postby altohb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Clio wrote:Just wondering how you’re doing over there, altonhb? Fingers crossed for no more floods for you

Water coming in again, but not as badly as last week, so far, and the wind speed is forecast to drop, so this should improve things - it is the rain driven by the wind that causes our problems, along with idiotic building methods which mean that floors were laid, then patio doors & shutters put in. All the water just comes underneath the shutters & doors. We've managed to seal most of the leaks round the windows, but the doors are impossible!

Thanks for asking - hope you are not too wet there.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Any "rate" should be quoted in "amount per unit of time", e.g. mm per hour. If it is simply quoted as mm then it is NOT a rate. Like difference between power and energy. The time period does not necessarily mean that it maintained that rate over that period. You could measure over a much shorter period and then calculate proportionally. That should normally then be prefixed with something like "instantaneous".

The rain has got heavier as the day has progressed south west of Chania but still steady not torrential. Certainly nothing that could be regarded as extreme.

One of the problems when it rains at high altitude, because it is not cold enough to snow, is the fact that it tends to wash away existing snow pretty effectively.

The Flowers of Crete book claims that the valley running up from Alikianos through Skines and up towards the wind farm above Sougia and the Lasithi plateau are the two wettest places in Crete.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 am

the valley running up from Alikianos through Skines and up towards the wind farm above Sougia and the Lasithi plateau are the two wettest places in Crete

This intrigued me and I just asked a friend who is very knowledgeable on Cretan climate to comment on that.

My friend reckons that the valley mentioned is possibly the wettest low-lying area of Crete (together with parts of Apokoronas).
He also said that it is possibly the wettest the wettest permanently inhabited area (together with Askyfou) but also said that higher areas were getting much more rain. In his words "I expect that in wet years (like 2002-03) the high desert should be getting more than 3000mm or even 4000mm. We are certainly talking about one of the wettest places in Europe, especially in the winter. Perhaps together with northwestern mountainous Greece, Albania, Croatia, Western mountainous (or hilly) UK, and maybe some part of the Alps. "

There was no mention of Lasithi but that's maybe because this friend is originally from Chania ;-)

Return to “General Discussion & News”